Sabres Prospect Zemgus Girgensons

carpandean

The NHL competition level is what happened to Kassian, and it will happen to all of our prospects, sooner or later.

I can fully understand the desire to view prospects as "NHL ready" or "prepared to play the role at the NHL level" but the truth of the matter is the compete level league wide from the AHL on through to the CHL, USHL and various other leagues both here and over seas isn't nearly as intense, quick and skilled as the NHL level.

Don't expect greatness from any of our current prospects, it'll be a huge let down, to all fans. Instead, keep your expectations tempered with the reality of transitioning to a much faster game with highly skilled and experienced players who will undoubtedly expose weaknesses in the young kids game across the board.

In short, we are in for a heavy learning curve, let's not get ahead of ourselves here......................

Nah i'd rather stay on my cloud k thx :D

You're right but every teams prospects go through the same learning curve. Some of them shine. Hopefully we'll find a diamond in the rough with a few of ours.

The problem is that we are talking about prospects here with the Sabres who will not have the luxury of stepping into a situation where they will be afforded time to find their way. It's a different scenario to flood the roster with rookies than it is adding a rookie or two to a roster of established NHL talent.

The problem is that we are talking about prospects here with the Sabres who will not have the luxury of stepping into a situation where they will be afforded time to find their way. It's a different scenario to flood the roster with rookies than it is adding a rookie or two to a roster of established NHL talent.

Unfortunately, you are correct and it's something that I think on as the new season approaches. How are these young kids going to get acclimated to the NHL game in a smooth transition with so many of them so young?

My fingers are crossed that we do find a diamond in the rough or 2, but I also realize with all of this youth being injected at one time it is going to take a couple of season for chemistry to be found.

But hey, I'd be more than pleasantly surprised if they started kicking ass right out of the gate due to pure compete hunger within themselves.

Unfortunately, you are correct and it's something that I think on as the new season approaches. How are these young kids going to get acclimated to the NHL game in a smooth transition with so many of them so young?

My fingers are crossed that we do find a diamond in the rough or 2, but I also realize with all of this youth being injected at one time it is going to take a couple of season for chemistry to be found.

But hey, I'd be more than pleasantly surprised if they started kicking ass right out of the gate due to pure compete hunger within themselves.

I'd like to see how these young kids handle adversity. The previous "core" folded under the slightest adversity. That is a trait that must be eliminated.

I'd like to see how these young kids handle adversity. The previous "core" folded under the slightest adversity. That is a trait that must be eliminated.

^This.

And I get the impression "folding" is not an option for Girgensons. If he won't fold when he's down by 11 goals, he's not gonna when the outcome is still in doubt. My hope is that he won't tolerate that in others, like Drury. I want him throwing the boom box out of the locker room, yanking earphones off of heads to get their attention. And I see nobody in the locker room that currently holds such sway that he would be reluctant to do so.

GO SABRES!!!

Remember when everyone was drooling over Z. Kassian?

Now, there's a new Z.

It used to appear Kassian had that fire in his eye. I'm not sure what happened along the way. They talk about consistency and maturity n shite. It appears now that Zemgus has that same fire plus a work ethic and desire that I'm not sure I remember them saying about Zack. Man I hope he's the real deal.

No one likes an "I told you so!" but I can't resist. Everyone dumped on me when I complained so loudly when the Sabres' drafted this guy. In fact I turned off the TV in disgust when it happened, something I have never done. I told everyone that he was nothing but a thug and that we should have drafted Kulikov instead.

History may still prove me wrong, but I don't think so.

Edited by Bullwinkle III

Everyone dumped on me when I complained so loudly when the Sabres' drafted this guy. In fact I turned off the TV in disgust when it happened, something I have never done. I told everyone that he was nothing but a thug and that we should have drafted Kulikov instead.

I don't know about everyone else, but for me, that had as much to do with Kuilikov as it did with Kassian. I wasn't and am not that high on him. Yes, he looked like he would be a good defenseman and is progressing that way, but he wasn't/isn't exciting enough for me to pass up what Kassian might have (and still might) become. Fast forward several years, I wouldn't trade Hodgson for Kuilikov, so it's still not a problem for me.

Edited by carpandean

No one likes an "I told you so!" but I can't resist. Everyone dumped on me when I complained so loudly when the Sabres' drafted this guy. In fact I turned off the TV in disgust when it happened, something I have never done. I told everyone that he was nothing but a thug and that we should have drafted Kulikov instead.

History may still prove me wrong, but I don't think so.

I'll take a power forward or a scoring center (which is what we ended up with) everytime over a puck moving defenseman. Especially on this team where there seems to be a never ending supply of the soft skilled Dmen.

a never ending supply of the soft skilled Dmen.

In all fairness, Kuilikov does like to hit (84 in 34GP this year and 104 in 58GP last year.) I'm sure GoDD could tell you how many of our defensemen you'd have to add up to get that.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't take Kuilikov; I just agree with inkman that I was/am more interested in what Kassian's and Hodgson's could potentially become than what he could.

Edited by carpandean

That's how you build a contender, according to Darcy.

I find it amusing that the media apparently hasn't asked him why it didn't work the first time he tried it, and why we now need to "rebuild", and dump our late-twenties core players, who should be peaking right about now?

Edited by Kristian

That's how you build a contender, according to Darcy.

I find it amusing that the media apparently hasn't asked him why it didn't work the first time he tried it, and why we now need to "rebuild", and dump our late-twenties core players, who should be peaking right about now?

I'm far from a Darcy apologist, but just because an approach didn't work doesn't mean it can't. Just have to pick the right players and make the right supplemental trades. No, I don't have faith in Regier to do this, but it's not as outrageous way to go about things.

Second point: forwards tend to peak in their early to mid 20s, not their late 20s to early 30s.

I'm far from a Darcy apologist, but just because an approach didn't work doesn't mean it can't. Just have to pick the right players and make the right supplemental trades. No, I don't have faith in Regier to do this, but it's not as outrageous way to go about things.

Second point: forwards tend to peak in their early to mid 20s, not their late 20s to early 30s.

You're right, it doesn't.

I just have a hard time seeing how replacing half the roster with rookies is going to be a formula for success, without at least some veterans around who do not answer to the names "Drew Stafford" or "Ville Leino".

Drafting is one thing, developing is something else.

Second point : If you want to split hairs, I said "right about now" :flirt:

You're right, it doesn't.

I just have a hard time seeing how replacing half the roster with rookies is going to be a formula for success, without at least some veterans around who do not answer to the names "Drew Stafford" or "Ville Leino".

Drafting is one thing, developing is something else.

Second point : If you want to split hairs, I said "right about now" :flirt:

I agree, but right now, there's a fair amount of vets. Which, of course, brings us to your point about whether they're the right vets. Guess it depends on your opinion of Miller, Ehrhoff and Vanek.

And consider the hairs split! :P

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I agree, but right now, there's a fair amount of vets. Which, of course, brings us to your point about whether they're the right vets. Guess it depends on your opinion of Miller, Ehrhoff and Vanek.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have a problem with the current Thomas Vanek being one of said veterans. I guess the question beckons, does he want to be here this season? If not, there goes his presence as a veteran out the window.

Only time will tell, I suppose.

With regards to Miller, I think it's even more difficult to say - Goalies are usually basket cases, and while I don't think Miller is a whacko like Hasek or Roy, he doesn't exactly strike me as a pillar of strength for youth to lean on either.

I think Tallinder should probably count in there, as veteran presence as well.

I really would've liked to see Morrow here with Ott, I think that would've been a very good pickup, for some of the youngsters on this team.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have a problem with the current Thomas Vanek being one of said veterans. I guess the question beckons, does he want to be here this season? If not, there goes his presence as a veteran out the window.

Only time will tell, I suppose.

With regards to Miller, I think it's even more difficult to say - Goalies are usually basket cases, and while I don't think Miller is a whacko like Hasek or Roy, he doesn't exactly strike me as a pillar of strength for youth to lean on either.

I think Tallinder should probably count in there, as veteran presence as well.

I really would've liked to see Morrow here with Ott, I think that would've been a very good pickup, for some of the youngsters on this team.

Has Morrow signed anywhere yet? Not that this team needs another 3rd/4th line tweener, but I wouldn't be opposed on a cheap deal.

Chicago didn't exactly have the greatest collection of vets showing the ropes to the likes of Toews and Kane. Sometimes you just have to throw these guys into the fire.

Chicago didn't exactly have the greatest collection of vets showing the ropes to the likes of Toews and Kane. Sometimes you just have to throw these guys into the fire.

Right, so it comes down to the players--at the very least Toews was obviously fine without being surrounded by a bunch of vets. Aside from Girgensons (and maybe Hodgson), do we have any young kids coming up who we think really don't need a veteran presence around?

Right, so it comes down to the players--at the very least Toews was obviously fine without being surrounded by a bunch of vets. Aside from Girgensons (and maybe Hodgson), do we have any young kids coming up who we think really don't need a veteran presence around?

Ristolainen and Armia don't strike me as guys who need vets as they have been playing with men for several years already. Risto could use a year in Rochester just to get up to pro speed. As for guys on the team now? I can't name any that I don't think could use a veteran presence other than those you mentioned.

Ristolainen and Armia don't strike me as guys who need vets as they have been playing with men for several years already. Risto could use a year in Rochester just to get up to pro speed. As for guys on the team now? I can't name any that I don't think could use a veteran presence other than those you mentioned.

See, I think Armia definitely needs steady vets around. The knock on him for years has been consistency and play away from the puck; I'd hope good veterans could help some with the former, if not the latter.

• 3 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.