Sabres Prospect Zemgus Girgensons

carpandean

GP/G/A/Pts/PIM/aTOI

70/8/14/22/14/15:19

70/11/24/35/4/13:39

The top line is Zemgus's first NHL season when he was 20 and on the worst team in the NHL

The second line is Pavel Datsyuk's first NHL season when he was 24 and on the best team in the NHL

He probably will not become a 90-point HoF defensive centerman, but he very well could become a 60-point Selke guy. Pretty solid guy for what essentially cost us Goose and a mid-round 2nd. This is the player I am most excited to see grow this season.

GP/G/A/Pts/PIM/aTOI

The top line is Zemgus's first NHL season when he was 20 and on the worst team in the NHL

The second line is Pavel Datsyuk's first NHL season when he was 24 and on the best team in the NHL

He probably will not become a 90-point HoF defensive centerman, but he very well could become a 60-point Selke guy. Pretty solid guy for what essentially cost us Goose and a mid-round 2nd. This is the player I am most excited to see grow this season.

Same here. I can't wait until he's named captain. It's only a matter of time. And he'll have a TON of locker room cred because he'll be one of the new core that makes the team his own. And he won't be afraid to do it, either. Unlike Vanek, Roy, etc. who could hide behind the veteran leadership of Drury/Briere and then crumble when it was their turn to take the reigns. And something tells Girgs won't put up with less than 100% effort at all times.

GO SABRES!!!

GP/G/A/Pts/PIM/aTOI

I had never seen the stats laid out like that, I don't expect a Pavel Datsyuk like career out of Zemgus but it brings my hopes up that he can be a solid part of the team and bring his attitude and drive to the younger guys for years once he's done developing. I'd totally take a 60 point player.

No leino, No leino, No whammy STOP :P

GP/G/A/Pts/PIM/aTOI

I think 60 points is pretty lofty

Does everyone still feel Gus will be an NHL center? He played LW a bunch last season and I've definitely read that his game projects more to the wing. It just seems everyone has penciled him in at center.

I think he's a third line center. Or a 2nd line wing when they are behind with a short bench.

I think he's a third line center. Or a 2nd line wing when they are behind with a short bench.

This is where I'm at. He started playing mostly center in February. I expect him to continue that progression in October.

But the kid has the ability to score NHL goals. The highlight reel that was him in April gives me great hope.

Does everyone still feel Gus will be an NHL center? He played LW a bunch last season and I've definitely read that his game projects more to the wing. It just seems everyone has penciled him in at center.

I've read the same, but I still have trouble seeing why his game is a better fit at wing than center. Of course he can play wing, but I haven't seen a convince argument as to why he should play wing.

I need to see more playmaking skills before I can think of him as more than a blood-and-guts 3rd-liner (who can still be a valuable 17+ min per game guy, but not a top-6 scoring forward).

So more of this and you're good:

Wow. I have to admit there were several legitimately sweet offensive skill plays in those clips -- I must have eradicated those from my mental hard drive when I deleted last season.

If he's the #3 center, it's because we have two good centers in front of him.

Wow. I have to admit there were several legitimately sweet offensive skill plays in those clips -- I must have eradicated those from my mental hard drive when I deleted last season.

Which, hopefully, will be Samson and McDavid/Eichel

Which, hopefully, will be Samson and McDavid/Eichel

Hodgson is only 24, too. If he learns to be more responsible defensively, look out.

Hodgson is only 24, too. If he learns to be more responsible defensively, look out.

Agreed. While I always pencil Cody in as a wing for the future there's still a chance that he turns into a two-way top 6 center. He was the second best prospect in all of hockey at one point for a reason.

I really think his ceiling is Datsyuk (<5% chance)

I think his trajectory based on performance and skill is a 55-60 pt center who gets matched up against the other team's top line and makes them work way harder than they want to. (30-40% chance)

He may fall short of that and still be a valuable 3rd line guy, about 40pts, defensively sound. (25-30%)

Of course he could always wash out too. but between the skill, ethic, and physical characteristics, I think this guy is a real important part of a future cup contender.

I think Zemgus is the type of player every team wishes they had. I don't know how good he could be but I have seen some things to make me think one day the Stanley Cup will say Buffalo Sabres and Zemgus Girgenson's name will not be far behind.

Girgs to me is a 2nd lime center/winger if he can get the offensive ability he has shown at times to be a bit more consistent.

Could he become the next Datsyuk, I doubt it since Datsyuk is a sick stick handler while Girgs plays more of the power forward style. Put Girgs on the top line with a McDavid/Eichel and he would have the potential to be an elite winger and put up 70-80 points a season. However I feel about 50-60 points a year will be his typical output as winger or center on the 2nd or about 45 points on the 3rd line. Either way though I see his primary usage as an elite 2-way forward.

I find it interesting.. perhaps there is some record of the talk around Datsyuk back then. I would think that no one would have high hopes for him at the time. He was small, went undrafted for a few years and did not light up the ice.

I think this is what makes it hard to predict. I don't know what was written back then... it just seems reasonable that people could be saying the same thing about Girgensons now that people said about Datsyuk back then and they were picked over 100 spots apart in the draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.