Sabres Prospect Zemgus Girgensons

carpandean

Zemgus has been playing his zemguses off lately. I've enjoyed it. The kid battles in the corners like a bull and works hard to backcheck. Whenever he loses possession of the puck, he never gives up on the play. There's a reason he wasn't sent down with his peers: he's earned his spot.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Zemgus has been playing his zemguses off lately. I've enjoyed it. The kid battles in the corners like a bull and works hard to backcheck. There's a reason he wasn't sent down with his peers: he's earned his spot.

He still looks like a baby deer sometimes but his poise will come in time.

I can't wait until his brain catches up to his heart.

The kid was playing hockey basically at a high school level two years ago.

I really think we could have a Ryan Kesler here in two or three years.

His body, too. Drane is right that he's constantly falling all over the place. As physically mature as he may be for his age, I think it's clear his body isn't ready to play the game he wants to.

His body, too. Drane is right that he's constantly falling all over the place. As physically mature as he may be for his age, I think it's clear his body isn't ready to play the game he wants to.

Personally, I'll be happy with General Zemgus falling down a lot the next three seasons, as long as his keeps up his work ethic, and can continue developing.

Hey may never be a 40 goal guy, but there's more to the game than just sniping water bottles.

• 2 months later...

Sabres' Zemgus Girgensons emerges as a force

KEVINO@DemocratandChronicle.com

The first time Zemgus Girgensons spent time far away from his home and family in Latvia, let's just say it didn't go all that well.

Traumatic might best describe the getaway.

Just 12 years old, he departed from the Girgensons' apartment in Riga to spend two weeks with family friends in Germany — three countries, one time zone and one language barrier away.

His father believed it would be good for his only son — and youngest of two children — to experience another culture and learn to cope.

This would, after all, be happening again in the not-too-distant future if Zemgus was going to chase his on-ice dream. In order to advance in hockey, to perhaps follow in the path his father carved onto the ice rinks of Russia two decades earlier, he was going to need to leave Latvia and take advantage of greater opportunities elsewhere in Europe.

Trip 1 away from home didn't go so well, however. Shy and unable to communicate, Zemgus wanted out.

"I survived one week," Girgensons said. "I called home and said, 'I'm coming back.' "

Fast-forward two years and Girgensons himself was planning another live-on-his-own excursion — to the United States. He sent an email to Selects Hockey, a U.S.-based organization that works to maximize potential through elite teams and programs, asking "How do I get on the team?"

if things simply progress as normal for Z and if draft miracles happen and we end up with the top picks this and next year............................ I think Z will still be the best and most liked Sabre for years to come

Most liked? Definite possibility. Best? Almost as unlikely as me winning the lottery. Especially if we get McDavid... Who might be a better NHL player than we have RIGHT NOW.

if things simply progress as normal for Z and if draft miracles happen and we end up with the top picks this and next year............................ I think Z will still be the best and most liked Sabre for years to come

Most liked? No question, he'll be up there. Best? We've got problems if he's one of the best.

Most liked? No question, he'll be up there. Best? We've got problems if he's one of the best.

I'm with Eleven on this one. On a good team he can be a good 3rd line role player, I don't expect more of him.

A 3rd line with him and foligno should be our future coming years.

Edited by Heimdall

He might be the most liked Sabres behind Steve Ott right now. You could probably include Miller in that group too. After that, I'm not sure.

As for how good he will be? I am definitely not down on him at all. I think he has the potential to be so much more than what the prior posters have indicated. Yea, perhaps I am a bit starry eyed on him but I really think he is something special. He's not a pure offensive talent, but paired with a pure offensive talent he's the guy who will make the space and allow that talent to be as good as he can be. He plays within himself and I think as he progresses he's begun to get more creative and make new kinds of plays he hadn't earlier in the year. It's almost as though he has his own internal development curve that he's following. Not trying to be more than he is until he is ready to be more than he was.

.... in 2 years

E. Kane- McDavid- P. Kane

Hodgson- Reinhart - Callahan

Foligno - Girgensons - Ott

elite 3rd line shutdown center

I just stared at that lineup and just thought...and thought....and then looked at the lineup we have right now. This year can't end fast enough. They might suck next year but at least you will not have to look at all that crappy dead weight.

He might be the most liked Sabres behind Steve Ott right now. You could probably include Miller in that group too. After that, I'm not sure.

As for how good he will be? I am definitely not down on him at all. I think he has the potential to be so much more than what the prior posters have indicated. Yea, perhaps I am a bit starry eyed on him but I really think he is something special. He's not a pure offensive talent, but paired with a pure offensive talent he's the guy who will make the space and allow that talent to be as good as he can be. He plays within himself and I think as he progresses he's begun to get more creative and make new kinds of plays he hadn't earlier in the year. It's almost as though he has his own internal development curve that he's following. Not trying to be more than he is until he is ready to be more than he was.

i agree in the belief that he is going to be more then a 3rd line center

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.