Tallinder traded to Buffalo

Two or less

I'm not sure how many multi-millionaire d-men in the National Hockey League needs their team to trade and spend 3.5 mil/year for a personal mentor. Especially a 23 year old. Maybe Tyler and Hank will warm our hearts by holding hands and singing Kumba Ya during games.

Looks like several of our weak links are getting partners they already know to fortify their game. Tallinder-Myers the first time was the first clue. Then Sulzer-Ehrhoff, then Ott-Weber. Then Regier started talking about getting Finns for Armia. Maybe they're trying to build chemistry, two by two, with players who've already known each other from previous associations. Maybe they can get Stafford a partner or Vanek a new partner. Otherwise, this team is a total hodge-podge with some of the weaker minded players feeling estranged because they don't really know anyone as teammates. Who knows....but it sounds romantic.

Wasn't it supposed to be "different" in a positive way? The success this team had under Golisano seems like the Golden Era compared to the mess we have today.

When something isn't working, at least now they are trying to make changes. Under Golisano, it was hard for them to even admit there was a problem (remember having 2 top twenty centers?). It's better now.

Wasn't it supposed to be "different" in a positive way? The success this team had under Golisano seems like the Golden Era compared to the mess we have today.

You mean the success of a team built under ownership of the NHL? Golisano saved and then strangled this team and we're still paying the price for it. We won't see the benefits of the Pegula era for another two years. It was naive of Terry and Darcy to think they could fix everything so quickly. I don't think they realized how much of a mess this team was post-OSP. And it's time the fans recognized it too.

This "suffering" period has been coming for 8 years.

If Myers' problems are in his head. This is a great move.

Bringing in tired old vets to provide some stability to the amazing young talent takes years off the rebuild. It's a part of the difference between Chicago/Pittsburgh and Edmonton/Colorado/Islanders.

Since my sarcasm was lost yesterday (as it oft happens in the interwebs) I think this is a great move, It likely went like this:

1. Lou decides hes going to buy out Hank

2. Lou sends a message out to the GMs, I'm gonna put Hank on waivers tomorrow, anyone want to jump the line?

3. Darcy calls up and says, we'll take him, but you're going to have to take a contract off our hands to keep us under the limit and with some flexibility going forward.

If Myers' problems are in his head. This is a great move.

Bringing in tired old vets to provide some stability to the amazing young talent takes years off the rebuild. It's a part of the difference between Chicago/Pittsburgh and Edmonton/Colorado/Islanders.

You mean guys like Robyn Regher? :doh:

So here's how I'm viewing this: Regier has a firm idea in his head to acquire certain assets and then deal them for those he really wants. The problem is (and always has been) that when other teams refuse to give him the deal he wants, he backs off. Those players he was hoping to get either sign with other teams or get traded to teams whose GMs are a little more flexible. Then Darcy is left with a collection of players that when put together just don't mesh. I do believe that Regier is such an obsessive fusspot (he reminds a lot of me of Niles Crane of "Fraser"), that many teams just don't want to deal with him. Failure on the part of ownership to recognize this (three different owners and counting) leads to the mediocrity we've witnessed. The Sabres are likely to still go nowhere until a GM with some experience and credibility is brought in. The next few seasons will be kind of like watching a slow-motion train wreck.

When something isn't working, at least now they are trying to make changes. Under Golisano, it was hard for them to even admit there was a problem (remember having 2 top twenty centers?). It's better now.

This is true. I have to give the team credit for recognizing that Plan Pegula 1.0 was a failure and that Plan 2.0 was implemented. Will it succeed? I dunno, but at least the team acknowledged the failure. That alone is change from the past.

Granted, bringing in alum and calling it "moving forward" doesn't sound much like a new plan, does it? :P

I dunno, Myers, Sekera, Weber, Chris Butler were young.

Myers, a third, a late second and a 4th is not equal to the 4 1sts (Myers, Pysyck, Ristolainin, Zadorov) and an Early 2nd (McCabe) that we have in the system now.

2-3 years from now we have the potential to have 8-10 first round picks with the big club under the age of 27. (3 C: Hodgson, Grigorenko, Zemgus; 2 W: Armia, Ennis; 4 D: Myers,Pysyck, Ristolinen, Zadorov) and that's not including any potential top 10 pick(s) we get next year.

Compare that to the crop we had from 2004-2007 (Stafford, Zagrapan, Persson) I understand these guys need to pan out, but at least we have a chance to be good.

Remember Golisano?

It is different. Open your eyes.

On February 22, 2011, if someone had told you the Sabres would be flirting with the cap floor in two years, would you have believed it? Terry might not have issued a "break even" edict, but his bean-counters are acting as if he did. Ted even said those magic small market words "financial viability" and said he can't assume Terry's always going to be around spending hand over fist. They're worried about the bottom line now and for the next owner. Golisano spent a lot, too, was also the toast of the town for a while, and had his hand in mucking things up. The difference between the two owners is not as stark as some would say.

On February 22, 2011, if someone had told you the Sabres would be flirting with the cap floor in two years, would you have believed it? Terry might not have issued a "break even" edict, but his bean-counters are acting as if he did. Ted even said those magic small market words "financial viability" and said he can't assume Terry's always going to be around spending hand over fist. They're worried about the bottom line now and for the next owner. Golisano spent a lot, too, was also the toast of the town for a while, and had his hand in mucking things up. The difference between the two owners is not as stark as some would say.

Are you creating some sort of stereotyped monolithic billionaire? Are you saying they have something more in common than their white-maleness? Or are you just recognizing that people who buy toys tend to play with them?

It is interesting to see how many people changed their minds about Tallinder considering this was a topic of discussion on Feb. 6, 2013 and at that time very few people thought it was reasonable to bring Hank back in an effort to help Myers.

Why the change of heart?

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

I still think that the best pairing we have right now is Sulzer and Ehrhoff; however, after listening to Robi Radio this morning, someone brought up an interesting idea.

It seems that Henrick Tallinder is in the dog house with New Jersey, and it looks like he could be trade bait.

Someone presented the idea that we could possibly acquire Tallinder in an effort to help Tyler Myers, and deal Leopold out the door.

Tallinders career plus minus total is +30, and a -17 over the last 3 seasons with the Devils; in contrast, Jordan Leopold has a career plus minus of -31, and is a -14 over the last 3 seasons.

Like it was proposed on WGR 550, I would agree that getting Tyler Myers on track should be the Sabres first priority, and in my opinion, Henrick Tallinder if he is healthy maybe the man for the job.

The bottom line is that Myers needs someone to pair up with him that helps his game, and that certainly is not Leopold.

Who could the Sabres realistically bring in to help Myers out?

It is interesting to see how many people changed their minds about Tallinder considering this was a topic of discussion on Feb. 6, 2013 and at that time very few people thought it was reasonable to bring Hank back in an effort to help Myers.

Why the change of heart?

I still think that the best pairing we have right now is Sulzer and Ehrhoff; however, after listening to Robi Radio this morning, someone brought up an interesting idea.

It seems that Henrick Tallinder is in the dog house with New Jersey, and it looks like he could be trade bait.

Someone presented the idea that we could possibly acquire Tallinder in an effort to help Tyler Myers, and deal Leopold out the door.

Tallinders career plus minus total is +30, and a -17 over the last 3 seasons with the Devils; in contrast, Jordan Leopold has a career plus minus of -31, and is a -14 over the last 3 seasons.

Like it was proposed on WGR 550, I would agree that getting Tyler Myers on track should be the Sabres first priority, and in my opinion, Henrick Tallinder if he is healthy maybe the man for the job.

The bottom line is that Myers needs someone to pair up with him that helps his game, and that certainly is not Leopold.

Really? Myers is 23 years old and just finished his 4th NHL season, and somebody needs to be brought in to help him get on track, Really? When does he become a big boy? Darcy is a clown!

awful song, worse video ..... just sayin'

I like Tallinder.

I feel the same way about this trade that I felt when there was talk of bringing Briere back.

I don't think we need a veteran Dman at this point. Play the kids and let the chips fall where they may.

Darcy did something, but I don't think it's the right thing.

would your opinion change if it is proven that getting Hank back will also get Myers back to form ? If so, I think it is worth it.

Really? Myers is 23 years old and just finished his 4th NHL season, and somebody needs to be brought in to help him get on track, Really? When does he become a big boy? Darcy is a clown!

When did Chara become a big boy?

I don't think Tallinder was brought in to do anything with Myers, specifically. He's a steadying influence for what is suddenly a very young, very inexperienced blue line. Every young D man on the team may benefit. Hard for me to understand why anyone would object to having him.

DR isn't done reshaping the team. Both Miller and Vanek will be moved before camp starts.

GO SABRES!!!

name='drunken[/color] idiot' timestamp='1373298457' post='496121']

Most people cannot hit their butt with both hands at the age of 23 let alone manage millions of dollars.

Myers is a kid.

IMO next to goalie defense is the hardest position to play; how long does it take a kid to fill a mans shoes in the NHL?

When did Chara become a big boy?

I don't think Tallinder was brought in to do anything with Myers, specifically. He's a steadying influence for what is suddenly a very young, very inexperienced blue line. Every young D man on the team may benefit. Hard for me to understand why anyone would object to having him.

DR isn't done reshaping the team. Both Miller and Vanek will be moved before camp starts.

GO SABRES!!!

You hope

As for Tallinder, he was brought in as a desperation move to try and get Myers back on track. It was a last ditch effort, Hank was Myers defence partner when he was at his best, so they are hoping re-uniting them will revive both their careers. Its as simple as that. Instead of dumping Myers and considering him a bust, they decide to give it one last shot by bringing in his old partner.

as for the Chara comparisons, enough with these, the only thing in common they have is their height. Just because Chara took a while to develop (don't believe he was a rookie of the year who went into a nose dive after) doesn't mean that Myers will follow the same path, for every player that followed the Chara route, there are probably 10 that were busts and never developed over time

Why the change of heart?

I don't see a change of heart. Seems to me there is still a large portion of people blaming Darcy for something, they can't pass this one up. To me, it's a riskless trade. Is anybody going to miss Boychuk? I don't think so. I don't see what the issue is.

The problem doesn't lie with bringing Hank back to help Myers, it's the fact that Myers is heading into his 5th year and he still needs help.

There need to be a couple vet D-Men on a roster. I don't care how much of a rebuild you're going through. Not everybody can be under 24.

Archived