Tallinder traded to Buffalo

Two or less

What has been one of the biggest criticisms of Darcy? That he overvalues and hangs on to his players too long. Myers has been her 4 years, age understood. Connolly was also 23 and in the league for 5 years at one point when the big contract extensions came in. Stafford was a 20 goal scorer at 23. Derek Roy.....20 goal scorer at 23, 30 goal scorer at 24. Afinogenov.....20 goal scorer at 23. Kotalik....20 goal scorer at 24. Kalinin....career high in points at 23. How did each of those guys progress throughout their careers? How much money was thrown at them because of early success, at different periods of years? How long did they stay with Buffalo and what did the average fan feel or still feel by the time they finally left Buffalo?

I don't think the move is a horrible one, but it id Darcy, Doubling Down on a 23 year old Tyler Myers. We have seen this before. The problem is the opportunity cost of this decision. We now have over $9 million commited to Myers/Tallinder with the assumption some of the move was made to try and make Myers comfortable. What is the opportunity cost of this decision? What deal was available at the draft for Myers? Could you have landed a top 15 pick? More? I don't know how the rest of the league values him. By making this move instead of jettisoning Myers when he still has some potential value versus his contract, you gave up in likelihood a 1st round pick at the least and $9 million in cap space....$9 million that could have brought in a Clarkson and Briere, or any possible combo. For those saying "We don't need Briere, he's old and not as good". Well, what is the defense for Tallinder? Is it worth blowing $9 million and passing up draft picks to HOPE the giant boy pulls his head out of his backside, or pray he redevelops his balance on the ice? Briere or Iginla could have just as easily been an asset to multiple young players that have shown progress or have the ability to develop. Again, Tallinder looked to still have some in the tank when playing in the Worlds, albeit some players seem to play harder for country than team. But the big picture to me is that this is a typical Darcy mistake, projecting pie-in-the-sky development from HIS choices....who all seem to peak in their early 20's, and ridiculous amounts of money get thrown at them while they never develop the character and grit necessary to be the buildingblocks of a true good team.

17-year Regier doesn't want to face the facts that Myers appears to be developing into a giant bust, particularly since it's one of his 'pet' contracts as Drane alluded to above.

And this is the second aging ex-Sabre re-acquisition this year - after Hecht. You don't build for the future with re-treads, I'm sorry, but it isn't a good strategy.

I don't think the move is a horrible one, but it id Darcy, Doubling Down on a 23 year old Tyler Myers. We have seen this before. The problem is the opportunity cost of this decision. We now have over $9 million commited to Myers/Tallinder with the assumption some of the move was made to try and make Myers comfortable. What is the opportunity cost of this decision? What deal was available at the draft for Myers? Could you have landed a top 15 pick? More? I don't know how the rest of the league values him. By making this move instead of jettisoning Myers when he still has some potential value versus his contract, you gave up in likelihood a 1st round pick at the least and $9 million in cap space....$9 million that could have brought in a Clarkson and Briere, or any possible combo. For those saying "We don't need Briere, he's old and not as good". Well, what is the defense for Tallinder? Is it worth blowing $9 million and passing up draft picks to HOPE the giant boy pulls his head out of his backside, or pray he redevelops his balance on the ice? Briere or Iginla could have just as easily been an asset to multiple young players that have shown progress or have the ability to develop. Again, Tallinder looked to still have some in the tank when playing in the Worlds, albeit some players seem to play harder for country than team. But the big picture to me is that this is a typical Darcy mistake, projecting pie-in-the-sky development from HIS choices....who all seem to peak in their early 20's, and ridiculous amounts of money get thrown at them while they never develop the character and grit necessary to be the buildingblocks of a true good team.

Is Myers a bust, RIGHT NOW, at age 23? Yes or no.

If yes, then you can throw your "what could we have gotten for him at the draft" argument out the window. Our bust IS NOT someone else's 1st round pick.

If no, then you can throw your argument out the window anyway because he's well worth the development time.

It is just not intelligent to connect Myers' development as a 23 year old with any other 23 year old to have come through the system. The truth is, you haven't seen this before. Because Myers is a completely different player in a completely different time and place under a completely different set of circumstances.

But I understand it fits your narrative so have at it.

GO SABRES!!!

Is Myers a bust, RIGHT NOW, at age 23? Yes or no.

If yes, then you can throw your "what could we have gotten for him at the draft" argument out the window. Our bust IS NOT someone else's 1st round pick.

If no, then you can throw your argument out the window anyway because he's well worth the development time.

It is just not intelligent to connect Myers' development as a 23 year old with any other 23 year old to have come through the system. The truth is, you haven't seen this before. Because Myers is a completely different player in a completely different time and place under a completely different set of circumstances.

But I understand it fits your narrative so have at it.

GO SABRES!!!

THIS TIME.....IT WILL BE DIFFERENT! Facts hurt sometimes.

Myers is not a bust. He does not make bad decisions on the ice when he is on his game. His weakness is his mental toughness. The guy is 23, soon he will fill out his frame more and learn to take control - he had too much pressure on his shoulders and couldn't cope. I expect this season he will be a dominant player (ill make a bet with anyone?) sadly this will be attributed to Hank returning, when it will just be his natural growth as a young guy

Myers is not a bust. He does not make bad decisions on the ice when he is on his game. His weakness is his mental toughness. The guy is 23, soon he will fill out his frame more and learn to take control - he had too much pressure on his shoulders and couldn't cope. I expect this season he will be a dominant player (ill make a bet with anyone?) sadly this will be attributed to Hank returning, when it will just be his natural growth as a young guy

If it's going to happen, this year will be the one where it starts to show on a consistent basis. I expect it will have more to do maturing into his body and with Rolston having the team play a much simpler (aka boring) game than they played under Ruff than anything else.

If it doesn't happen, I'd put a fair amount of the blame on having Kevin Porter as the team's closest thing to a shutdown C. (Boy, that statement reeeeaaaally doesn't look right, but unfortunately unless Girgs or Larsson show they can get it done as rookies, or we're surprised with a big trade it is.)

Personally, I put him 'getting it' at about 60/40.

THIS TIME.....IT IS DIFFERENT! Facts change when they simply aren't the same as previous facts.

GO SABRES!!!

Correct, it is different this time. They already locked the kid up to $35 million and he has regressed each year in the league. He is 6'9" and does not have the ability to put on lean mass. He is disproportionate and physically unlike almost everyone in the league. He has been known to have unexplained fatigue and conditioning problems. At this point in their careers when Darcy chose to keep players such as Connolly, Roy, Afinogenov, Kotalik, Kalinin, and Stafford over players like Briere, Drury, Dumont, McKee, Grier, Pyatt and MacArthur.....all of the former were progressing to that point and peaked off. Myers does seem to have the same temperament and leadership abilities as the former as well, and a player like Tallinder will not change that. But then again, what has Darcy ever done wrong? Please tell me!

Agree entirely. Perhaps the single most telling aspect of a young player still maturing in the league. And at the most difficult position to master.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll bet against him doing better, long term.

He seems to have a poor work-ethic, and I don't think that's just gonna change - he let himself get out of shape in the protracted off-season.

He's a professional athlete being paid millions of dollars - he should have been hitting the gym almost daily - one C.C. Slobbathia is enough in NY sports. If nothing else, he should have enough pride to stay in shape. I think it's inexcusable for a pro in his 20s. Does he actually need Tallinder to cajole him into hitting the gym? Pathetic if true.

Correct, it is different this time. They already locked the kid up to $35 million and he has regressed each year in the league. He is 6'9" and does not have the ability to put on lean mass. He is disproportionate and physically unlike almost everyone in the league. He has been known to have unexplained fatigue and conditioning problems. At this point in their careers when Darcy chose to keep players such as Connolly, Roy, Afinogenov, Kotalik, Kalinin, and Stafford over players like Briere, Drury, Dumont, McKee, Grier, Pyatt and MacArthur.....all of the former were progressing to that point and peaked off. Myers does seem to have the same temperament and leadership abilities as the former as well, and a player like Tallinder will not change that. But then again, what has Darcy ever done wrong? Please tell me!

I know, I know. It's the Marfan's Syndrome.

Stick with the horses. Your direct knowledge of Myers' physiology is total horse crap anyway.

GO SABRES!!!

I asked if anyone knew how to stop the glitches with Explorer 10 and this software. Nobody had a legit answer other than to get another browser. It works fine for everything else. Sorry.

That's because nobody else uses IE to have the capacity to give an answer! IE may "work fine" for everything else, but a smart car works fine for getting you to and from work...doesn't mean you shouldn't look to upgrade :)

That's because nobody else uses IE to have the capacity to give an answer! IE may "work fine" for everything else, but a smart car works fine for getting you to and from work...doesn't mean you shouldn't look to upgrade :)

Dude can diagnose a guy site unseen with a growth disorder but he can't take five minutes to update his web browser.

I'm a nice fella, so I don't always share my diagnosis with everyone, about everyone. Looks like the faithful are getting grumpy because suffering has been embraced. I get it. And considering multiple people felt the need to report me, I guess I won't say what an ironic statement it is to imply Tallinder is a great "mentor" for a young Tyler Myers.

I'm a nice fella, so I don't always share my diagnosis with everyone, about everyone. Looks like the faithful are getting grumpy because suffering has been embraced. I get it. And considering multiple people felt the need to report me, I guess I won't say what an ironic statement it is to imply Tallinder is a great "mentor" for a young Tyler Myers.

When I'm suffering as much as you, I'll let you know. You love to wallow in it.

Given that our entire D, save Ehrhoff, is young, a rational person would think that Tallinder would naturally be a good influence, if nothing else. Mentoring is overstating it and the irony is lost on me.

And that's very reassuring.

GO SABRES!!!

When I'm suffering as much as you, I'll let you know. You love to wallow in it.

Given that our entire D, save Ehrhoff, is young, a rational person would think that Tallinder would naturally be a good influence, if nothing else. Mentoring is overstating it and the irony is lost on me.

And that's very reassuring.

GO SABRES!!!

That's too bad you look at stating opinions, identifying potential problems, and proposing fixes as unbearable. I know....I've been soooo negative these past 6 years. How horrible of me.

Let's see how everyone felt heading into last season......

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21520-time-for-your-2013-predictions/page__st__40

And I don't doubt you fail to see the irony of Tallinder being praised as a positive mentor.

Archived