Tallinder traded to Buffalo

Two or less

I like Tallinder.

I feel the same way about this trade that I felt when there was talk of bringing Briere back.

I don't think we need a veteran Dman at this point. Play the kids and let the chips fall where they may.

Darcy did something, but I don't think it's the right thing.

An interesting question about all of this defense:

Is it more likely that it's being put together to make Miller happy, or to put a solid group of vets in front of Enroth?

It could be completely unrelated to the goalie situation, but just a thought.

Or maybe.

"Darcy, I'm going to use my second buyout on Hank to clear cap room. You guys want his rights?"

The buyout period already passed this year and he's on a one-year deal, so he's ineligible for that.

And just like our center situation, those boys gotta earn their ice time.

It's good to have a legit stay at home D around again. Effectively downgrade(?) from Regehr to Tallinder to pick up two 2nd round draft picks and dump a 7th? Just fine.

Tallinder is a fringe player these days. We have young fringe players that are better served with the ice time.

Young guys rarely win starting jobs. They get the chance to start due to injury or trade and then show they can contribute. Rooks winning starting jobs in direct competition is rare and usually only happens with the top talents. Our young guys should be priority fore the chances to show they can contribute, not has beens like tallinder.

On defense AFTER this season:

Tallinder expires, McBain is an RFA that I doubt we even qualify if he struggles/doesn't make the team, Sulzer is an UFA again and (see McBain).

That would leave the corps as:

Myers, Ehrhoff, Weber, Pysyk, Risto, McNabb, Ruhwedel and McCabe (maybe JGL).

This move might just be the precursor to one or more other moves. We all know when Darcy finally decides to do something he tends to make multiple moves.

I don't see Rudy as an NHLer at this point. McNabb, McBain, or even Pysyk might be traded. Sulzer is probably 7th man. Weber, Myers, The Hoff, and Hank... and Risto if he shows well at camp... are probably roster locks. Pysyk is probably the other d-man assuming Darcy doesn't trade him. Hard to figure out exactly where Darcy is going with this...

And just like our center situation, those boys gotta earn their ice time.

It's good to have a legit stay at home D around again. Effectively downgrade(?) from Regehr to Tallinder to pick up two 2nd round draft picks and dump a 7th? Just fine.

I thought this thread was in jest when I first saw it.

Solid, solid meh.

Like our center situation, I do not want the likes of Tallinder taking ice time away from one of our young guys.

The likes of Tallinder made Myers the Rookie of the year. Your young guys will effectively suck unless they get to see the vets in action. Talking on the bench and in the locker room is a Pomminstein thing.

This move might just be the precursor to one or more other moves. We all know when Darcy finally decides to do something he tends to make multiple moves.

I don't see Rudy as an NHLer at this point. McNabb, McBain, or even Pysyk might be traded. Sulzer is probably 7th man. Weber, Myers, The Hoff, and Hank... and Risto if he shows well at camp... are probably roster locks. Pysyk is probably the other d-man assuming Darcy doesn't trade him. Hard to figure out exactly where Darcy is going with this...

Don't see anyway we trade Pysyk unless we suddenly decide to "go for it" this year. He'd bring a very talented NHLer back. Risto also isn't anywhere near a lock. Not with the recent moves.

Didn't we spend all of last year expecting a D trade without getting it? I see nothing to convince me this is part of a larger plan.

The likes of Tallinder made Myers the Rookie of the year. Your young guys will effectively suck unless they get to see the vets in action. Talking on the bench and in the locker room is a Pomminstein thing.

Context my friend. Tallinder of 5 seasons ago I would take in a heartbeat. Tallinder of today couldn't make the ice of a lousy NJD defence. Any kid he's playing alongside is going to have to make up for the skating and positioning he's no longer capable of. I suppose if that's what you meant when you suggested tallinder would be good for the kids development I might find agreement.

Whats this BS about talking to Jagr? This old, theres ancient and then theres Jagr. Its like Shamrock refusing to retire because hes still in good shape. Cmon Jaromir, your too old to bounce from city to city every year like Derek Roy.

Where are you seeing this? Provide links please...

Whats this BS about talking to Jagr? This old, theres ancient and then theres Jagr. Its like Shamrock refusing to retire because hes still in good shape. Cmon Jaromir, your too old to bounce from city to city every year like Derek Roy.

See now, I couyld get behind acquiring Jagr. He's a wing so he won't take ice time from the kids. And he's turned into a good player to have around to show how to work and win.

I would not have said that about him before his khl days.

He's still a pretty smart d-man.

This is a solid move. He's steady and reliable and experienced. He adds some depth in the short term that buys some time for the young defensemen to develop and get ready for the NHL.

The Sabres are not a playoff team next year in all probability, but if you look at the big picture the future is promising.

Really all I think this move means is we are done adjusting our defense as of right now unless Miller/Vanek/Stafford are traded and we get some d man in that return. I see our defense being

Tallinder/Myers

Ehrhoff/Sulzer

Weber/Pysyk

McBain as the 7

Then, Ruhwedel plays with McNabb and Risto plays with Bagnall with the Amerks to start the season

Archived