2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

Franzen is 33. At his peak he was probably better than Lucic at his, but I think most GMs would rather have Lucic at this point.

Vanek is not comparable.

I'm not trying to downplay Franzen's career, I just don't think he was ever the impact player that Lucic is.

I'm not trying to downplay Franzen's career, I just don't think he was ever the impact player that Lucic is.

how can you look at his numbers last year and say that ? Did you watch him play in the playoffs at 33. he was a beast. Faster, more skilled and productive even now than Lucic will ever be. I guess we can agree to disagree.should we go to the next fifteen names now?.lol

how can you look at his numbers last year and say that ? Did you watch him play in the playoffs at 33. he was a beast. Faster, more skilled and productive even now than Lucic will ever be. I guess we can agree to disagree.should we go to the next fifteen names now?.lol

6 points and a -7 in 14 games is being a beast? He was more of an impact player in the playoffs 3,4 & 5 years ago.

Comparing Lucic and Franzen solely on speed and skill absolutely the edge goes to Franzen. Comparing Lucic and Franzen as complete big men it's Lucic. When comparing big men you have to include the physical impact and in Lucic'c case the intimidation factor he brings to the rink night after night. If you don't. then we're not really comparing big power forwards, where comparing forwards that just happen to be big. There is a difference.

Just passing through ...

In regard to Lucic. I would take him over anyone else I can think of to play the role he plays.

That said, I do not make it a habit to watch Lucic often. Basically only when he is playing against the Sabres. I am wondering if he has the same impact every game as he has when the Bruins are playing the Sabres? My guess would be yes, based on the contract he was given recently, but I don't really know.

6 points and a -7 in 14 games is being a beast? He was more of an impact player in the playoffs 3,4 & 5 years ago.

Comparing Lucic and Franzen solely on speed and skill absolutely the edge goes to Franzen. Comparing Lucic and Franzen as complete big men it's Lucic. When comparing big men you have to include the physical impact and in Lucic'c case the intimidation factor he brings to the rink night after night. If you don't. then we're not really comparing big power forwards, where comparing forwards that just happen to be big. There is a difference.

There you go cherry picking your stats AGAIN... he played half as many playoff games this year as Lucic . He is a career +99! .. You obviously decided to ignore the season stats from last year .and his plus/ minus , goals, ppg, and just about everything else. At 33 he still sees the ice better, is better or equal on the boards, has far hands,shot and probably is still faster at 33 than chug a lug Lucic lol..

As far as intimidation ..are we talking wwf here. He looked pretty passive against the Sabres this year.. Hmmm John Scott wandering over to their bench after the knock out and challanging them all?? perhaps .. Did not look like Chicago was intimidated.As long as you are smaller than he is i am sure he is intimidating. Colton Orr at half his size caused him to disengage and skate away to the locker room for repairs.

Interesting talk from Miller's interview. He said that if he could pull anything from his international experience it is that if you have guys playing the role they are assigned and live up to their expectations then you will do well. He also mentioned something about guys needing to be happy/willing/satisfied about playing their assigned roles - i wonder if some people were not happy with what they were tasked to do last year?

As I struggle to find Sabre news in the midst of my normal Labour Day hockey optimism I have come to a conclusion that will piss off most on this board:

The Sabres don't believe they're that bad.

They don't think Stafford is that bad, or that Myers is that bad or that Leino is that bad.

The think Foligno and Ennis and Grigorenko and Pysyk and Hodgson are a hell of a lot better than they have shown and other kids are coming soon.

They think Miller and Vanek and Ehrhoff are elite players.

They think that 2013 was an abberation caused by the lockout and some weird alignment of the stars and planets and that pieces are here to build a champion.

And because of that, they are willing to go into the new season with relatively few changes.

This is Darcy Regier. Is there anyone more prone to overrating his own players?

It reminds me of the summer of 1986 after Scotty Bowman's Sabres stumbled to an out-of-the-playoffs finish.

People said that was an abberation too. The next season Scotty was gone after 20 games and we finished dead last.

Are we on the verge of 1987 all over again?

As I struggle to find Sabre news in the midst of my normal Labour Day hockey optimism I have come to a conclusion that will piss off most on this board:

They don't think Stafford is that bad, or that Myers is that bad or that Leino is that bad.

The think Foligno and Ennis and Grigorenko and Pysyk and Hodgson are a hell of a lot better than they have shown and other kids are coming soon.

They think that 2013 was an abberation caused by the lockout and some weird alignment of the stars and planets and that pieces are here to build a champion.

And because of that, they are willing to go into the new season with relatively few changes.

It reminds me of the summer of 1986 after Scotty Bowman's Sabres stumbled to an out-of-the-playoffs finish.

People said that was an abberation too. The next season Scotty was gone after 20 games and we finished dead last.

Yikes. Could be.

But Darcy warned everyone to expect some suffering. I think he did that because the plan for this season is to play the kids a lot, figure out what they have, probably trade Miller and Vanek, and generally rebuild -- not because they think they are good enough to rebound to respectability.

Tired of hearing this whining attitude and Darcy bashing. I think you need a dose of reality that Buffalo is a 2nd / 3rd tier city and top talent doesn't want to come here even when money is no object. Buffalo is marginally more desireable than Columbus. It doesn't matter if Darcy is our GM or Wayne Gretzky, the only way Buffalo is getting top talent is acquring talent through trades or drafting and developing players. When you are in Darcy's position you have to covet any talent you have and can't give it away for free.

That being said, Darcy drafted and traded and created an elite Presidents Trophy winning team over the course of 5-6 years (Sabres 99-05) only to have an idiot owner who didn't want to pay players blow it up over the course of 3-4 years. I have full confidence in Darcy rebuilding and creating an elite team again.

Tired of hearing this whining attitude and Darcy bashing. I think you need a dose of reality that Buffalo is a 2nd / 3rd tier city and top talent doesn't want to come here even when money is no object. Buffalo is marginally more desireable than Columbus. It doesn't matter if Darcy is our GM or Wayne Gretzky, the only way Buffalo is getting top talent is acquring talent through trades or drafting and developing players. When you are in Darcy's position you have to covet any talent you have and can't give it away for free.

That being said, Darcy drafted and traded and created an elite Presidents Trophy winning team over the course of 5-6 years (Sabres 99-05) only to have an idiot owner who didn't want to pay players blow it up over the course of 3-4 years. I have full confidence in Darcy rebuilding and creating an elite team again.

Go away. Really, Darcy spent money improperly on Leino, held on to players who underperformed too long Stafford and the Tin Man and did not resign guys Briere... Drury was gone, but might have stayed if they had resigned his buddy... I forget his name and still hasn't found a number 1 center worthy of anything. Darcy kept the wrong players and then did not acquire talented players when he had the purse strings lossened. Toronto suffered for years under bad management and lack of talent.

Your statement is a non-sequitor about Buffalo and only serves to deflect responsibiity.

Buffalo is a great hockey town... much better than any of the southern teams like Carolina and Phoenix, yet they have had success. This is about a GM mismanaging things. Even Edmonton with all its talent it added has had problems getting back... more about coaching imo.

Go away. Really, Darcy spent money improperly on Leino, held on to players who underperformed too long Stafford and the Tin Man and did not resign guys Briere... Drury was gone, but might have stayed if they had resigned his buddy... I forget his name and still hasn't found a number 1 center worthy of anything. Darcy kept the wrong players and then did not acquire talented players when he had the purse strings lossened. Toronto suffered for years under bad management and lack of talent.

Your statement is a non-sequitor about Buffalo and only serves to deflect responsibiity.

Buffalo is a great hockey town... much better than any of the southern teams like Carolina and Phoenix, yet they have had success. This is about a GM mismanaging things. Even Edmonton with all its talent it added has had problems getting back... more about coaching imo.

1) The verdict is still out on Leino. He played 1 meh season on a team with no centers. He actually looked good last year in his limited time.

2) Darcy tried to sign Drury and seeing how the league developed I am not sure how good the Sabres would have been long term with 2 centers at 5'10" and 5'9" I have a feeling it would have simply imploded later on.

With that being said there is no possible way this team is worse this year than it was last year IMPO. Why? Well for a couple of reasons.

1) Ron Rolston, seems to be exactly what this team needs going forward and I think has the ability to succeed with the current roster

2) Our defense will not be as bad as it was. The reason here is simple, after the god awful start to last season and how it progressed none of the remaining guys feel all that good about things. That is why a group spent the summer in Buffalo working on things. I think the defense looks different this year not to mention Ristolainen is an unknown and who knows what he will play like.

3) Offense, Stafford will not have his worse shooting percentage of his career for a second year in a row. Ville Leino being healthy will help to stabalize Grigorenko's game. Cody Hodgson has been working on his draws and his defensive responsibilities. Girgensons will be on the team at some point this year. Armia? What is he like? Will Larsson be called up? he is quite solid. Foligno is growing up and can start to be a solid contributor while destroying all comers. Lots of offensive questions.

All signs point to upwards. This year I expect to be very up and down. It will take time for the young guns to adjust and for things to gel. I think a 10/9th place finish would be a good season. That being said and I have exposed this before, the growth of the new young core is more important than where we finish in the standings this year.

"Jay McKee ran Tuesday’s skate. Joining Vanek on the ice for the one hour session were Tyler Myers, Steve Ott, Jhonas Enroth, Marcus Foligno, Pat Kaleta, Cody McCormick, Matt Ellis, Zemgus Girgensons, Chad Ruhwedel, Brayden McNabb, Corey Tropp, Nikita Zadorov and Andrey Makarov."

With that being said there is no possible way this team is worse this year than it was last year IMPO. Why? Well for a couple of reasons.

1) Ron Rolston, seems to be exactly what this team needs going forward and I think has the ability to succeed with the current roster

2) Our defense will not be as bad as it was. The reason here is simple, after the god awful start to last season and how it progressed none of the remaining guys feel all that good about things. That is why a group spent the summer in Buffalo working on things. I think the defense looks different this year not to mention Ristolainen is an unknown and who knows what he will play like.

3) Offense, Stafford will not have his worse shooting percentage of his career for a second year in a row. Ville Leino being healthy will help to stabalize Grigorenko's game. Cody Hodgson has been working on his draws and his defensive responsibilities. Girgensons will be on the team at some point this year. Armia? What is he like? Will Larsson be called up? he is quite solid. Foligno is growing up and can start to be a solid contributor while destroying all comers. Lots of offensive questions.

All signs point to upwards.

So Darcy is right?

This is objectively false.

Yep.

1) The verdict is still out on Leino. He played 1 meh season on a team with no centers. He actually looked good last year in his limited time.

2) Darcy tried to sign Drury and seeing how the league developed I am not sure how good the Sabres would have been long term with 2 centers at 5'10" and 5'9" I have a feeling it would have simply imploded later on.

All signs point to upwards. This year I expect to be very up and down. It will take time for the young guns to adjust and for things to gel. I think a 10/9th place finish would be a good season. That being said and I have exposed this before, the growth of the new young core is more important than where we finish in the standings this year.

"Jay McKee ran Tuesday’s skate. Joining Vanek on the ice for the one hour session were Tyler Myers, Steve Ott, Jhonas Enroth, Marcus Foligno, Pat Kaleta, Cody McCormick, Matt Ellis, Zemgus Girgensons, Chad Ruhwedel, Brayden McNabb, Corey Tropp, Nikita Zadorov and Andrey Makarov."

wellbutrin? lol

Figured this article fits best here.

I've liked McCormick's game since the day he arrived. I'm really pulling for him to nab that 4th line center spot.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/cody-mccormick-ready-to-earn-another-spot-with-sabres

General manager Darcy Regier said in July that McCormick will either be with the Sabres in 2013-14 or somewhere else in the NHL because he likely wouldn’t clear waivers if they tried sending him to the AHL again. McCormick could get traded, Regier said.

McCormick wasn’t aware Regier had said he would probably be in the NHL.

“We had a conversation,” McCormick said. “He was happy with how the playoffs went in Rochester. Going forward, what I like to think is I’m here to try out for a spot on the Sabres, and that’s as much as I know right now.”

McCormick impressed during his first trip to the AHL since 2009-10. The 28-game run allowed him to take a regular shift and play key minutes again, which he hadn’t been receiving in Buffalo.

Archived