2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

Yes but you can't over pay them either. What's so hard about that? /delucavision

Yea because Richars, Parise and Suter didn't get overpaid right? Right? Wait til we see the Pominville deal, I am betting 7mil X 6yrs for 42mil and I honestly think that is in the ballpark when all is said and done.

Yea because Richars, Parise and Suter didn't get overpaid right? Right? Wait til we see the Pominville deal, I am betting 7mil X 6yrs for 42mil and I honestly think that is in the ballpark when all is said and done.

They better not front load his contract so that he'd be easier to trade if he doesn't produce as expected.

Who's on the hot seat in the Eastern Conference: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=681468&navid=DL|NHL|home

Tyler Myers, Buffalo Sabres -- Myers' performance during the past three seasons has overshadowed the fact he was regarded as one of the NHL's top young defensemen after winning the Calder Trophy in 2010. The Sabres brought back his partner from that season, Henrik Tallinder, from the New Jersey Devils in an offseason trade undoubtedly hoping he'd spark a revival in Myers. With the Sabres apparently in a rebuilding mode, they need Myers to be the kind of defensive anchor they expected after his rookie season.

Something Sabres' fans already knew for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

So apparently the decision boils down to Flynn, Larsson, and Girgensons.

Seems a shame to have Larsson go down -- everything I'd read and heard indicated that he was ready to make a jump. But it's looking to me like that's the direction they may go. I don't think they can move Porter, as they would've had to place him on waivers yesterday. Flynn looks like he may stay as a right-handed shot. :huh:

With some obvious uncertainties and line-juggling to come, does the lineup later today look something like this?

HODGSON

STAFFORD (RW)

VANEK (LW)

ENNIS

LEINO

FOLIGNO

GRIGORENKO

FLYNN (seems weird to put him on the third line, but he does shoot right.)

OTT

PORTER

KALETA

GIRGENSONS

Forwards to be used when we play brawny clubs (on those nights, maybe Flynn and Porter sit, Kaleta plays third line minutes, and McCormick and Scott play on the 4th line?):

MCCORMICK

SCOTT

D:

EHRHOFF

MYERS

PYSYK

TALLINDER

RISTOLAINEN

WEBER

7th D:

MCBAIN

(IR)

ARMIA

TROPP

Johan Larsson is better than Zemgus Girgensons at this moment in time. I have to believe he makes the club before Z who in all honestly could use another year in the AHL (With some call ups here and there).

Does anyone know what time they are expected to make the final roster announcement?

The roster has to be finalized by 3pm EST so I would guess at the afternoon presser (maybe around 4-5?)

My understanding is that only one of Larrson, Girgs, Flynn need to go down.

My money is on Girgs getting sent to Rochester, then Armia and Tropp follow him when they are off IR.

Dark hourse is Grigo going to the Q.

right - they need to move 1 additional player who can go to the Roc without clearing waivers (or, as you suggest, go back to juniors), so that leaves girgensons, larsson, and flynn.

it's interesting to consider that girgensons might be odd-man-out -- i had not considered that, frankly.

i think there's NFW they send grigorenko back to the Q. he may not be ready for full-time nhl duty, but i think that's what he's going to get, regardless.

right - they need to move 1 additional player who can go to the Roc without clearing waivers (or, as you suggest, go back to juniors), so that leaves girgensons, larsson, and flynn.

it's interesting to consider that girgensons might be odd-man-out -- i had not considered that, frankly.

i think there's NFW they send grigorenko back to the Q. he may not be ready for full-time nhl duty, but i think that's what he's going to get, regardless.

I believe DR told Grigo he was assured a spot some time ago, so I don't believe Q is an option.

I agree he is not NHL ready and I worry his skating will ever be

Darcy was on record as saying that, but that was "walked back" in the last few weeks by Rolston. It still seems unlikely. His skating really needs to improve, as you say.

Oh ok, I didn't realize that re: Rolston.

Can anyone remember a prospect, let alone a high pick, who had skating issues? He clearly has great hands but his skating is pretty bad.

Hodgson, for one. Spezza had pretty bad skating when he was drafted. Those are just the first two that come to mind.

Mike Weber is a prime example of mediocre skating being fixed and turned into solid skating (not that he was a 1st rounder) but Grigs will have to work hard with our skating coach and it may take another 1-2years before that all works out. Good thing Grigs is 19.

My real issue with Grigs is that he isn't always skating. He glides.... gliding sucks and is not what we need.

Am I still the only 1 who likes Flynn?

No, no.

The thing I find myself slipping back into is the "shiny new toy" syndrome. I would rather see Larsson and Girgensons here because they're top-end prospects.

From what I recall of Flynn, he is a solid and versatile player who should add value as a role player, somewhere in your bottom 6.

I also have hung onto Paul Hamilton's observation -- he must've said it in a radio spot because I can't find it on the web -- that he saw (and he inferred that the team saw) Brian Flynn as slotting into a Pominville-esque role -- PH said that Flynn could already do (or could grow into doing) just about everything Pominville had done.

EDIT: recall that when pominville was interviewed by canadian media immediately after his OT winner against Ott'wa in 2006, he was reminded that he'd made the journey from a former top prospect who'd been exposed to WAIVERS earlier that year to a playoff hero.

I'd rather see Larsson here but Girgensons needs another year in Rochester. Also Flynn is a RHS and neither of those other two guys is. Hell Larsson will be playing center.

Let Zemgus go to Rochester for the majority of the season and play 20minutes in all situations. I feel the same way about him that I do about Zadorov and his needed return to the OHL. To put that into perspective Zadorov 61 will be the next jersey I decide to buy (NOT THE 3rd BARF JERSEY EITHER) and I am still advocating he go back. We have enough guys who can cover these lines/roles. Let some of these kids learn in a controlled environment where they can make mistakes and learn.

Also, trade Stafford and then Flynn can just stay without any question... they are both 3rd line RW with potential to fill in on the 2nd line... but 1 is younger and cheaper... and better... and not named Drew Stafford.

Archived