2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

Also, trade Stafford and then Flynn can just stay without any question... they are both 3rd line RW with potential to fill in on the 2nd line... but 1 is younger and cheaper... and better... and not named Drew Stafford.

Stafford's a 3rd line RW? Hmm. IMO, he's not nearly defensively responsible enough. That's the thing about the Staff Infection, he's either top-6 and potting 20+ goals, or he's of no/little use.

@BuffNewsVogl

Sabres' power-play units: Vanek-Hodgson-Ennis, with Ehrhoff-Myers; and Leino-Ott-Stafford, with Ristolainen-Pysyk.

:huh:

Forwards to be used when we play brawny clubs ... :

MCCORMICK

SCOTT

Apparently this means whenever we play the Canadiens.

Greetings from Habs practice in Brossard, Que., where big @GeorgeParros is skating on a line with @BrandonPrust8 and @32trapper (Moen)...

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/status/384696678822850561

And here's the latest via cut and pastes from Vogl's twitter feed. Sorta sounds like Larsson might be odd-man-out?

Sabres' line work: Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford, Ott-Ennis-Leino, Girgensons-Grigorenko-Flynn, Porter-McCormick-Kaleta. Scott and Larsson extra.

Sabres' defense work: Ehrhoff-Pysyk, Tallinder-Myers, Weber-Ristolainen. McBain rotated in after first three pairs.

EDIT: plus, the lines above are still minus foligno.

It does sound like Larsson's the odd-man out with Ennis at center. But it sounds like both Girgensons and Larsson had good training camps.

It's a judgement call, and even though Rolston does like Flynn, we may see him back as the captain of the Americans.

If this ends up playing out, I hate it with a fiery passion. I hate Ennis at center again, I hate Larsson in the AHL, and I hate Girgensons in the NHL on the 4th line. It all sucks.

It does sound like Larsson's the odd-man out with Ennis at center. But it sounds like both Girgensons and Larsson had good training camps.

It's a judgement call, and even though Rolston does like Flynn, we may see him back as the captain of the Americans.

That's going to be the role of Ellis since last year's Amerks' Captain Porter has, IMO, an undeserved roster spot with the Sabres.

I believe DR told Grigo he was assured a spot some time ago, so I don't believe Q is an option.

I agree he is not NHL ready and I worry his skating will ever be

Darcy was on record as saying that, but that was "walked back" in the last few weeks by Rolston. It still seems unlikely. His skating really needs to improve, as you say.

Last week, DR said (I think with Schoop & Bulldog, but not sure) that his original comment was NOT that Griggy would be staying with the Sabres, it was that Griggy wouldn't be returning to juniors. He also said that the Sabres, at the time he made the original comment, had been trying to work out a deal with the Q under which Griggy would be allowed to play in Rochester -- but that it now doesn't look like that can happen.

All of this is to say that DR and RR have both been walking the dog back on Griggy being with the Sabres this year -- and reading between the lines of both of their interviews, neither of them sounds confident that Griggy can cut the mustard in the NHL at this point.

If this ends up playing out, I hate it with a fiery passion. I hate Ennis at center again, I hate Larsson in the AHL, and I hate Girgensons in the NHL on the 4th line. It all sucks.

It ain't fo' sho' yet. Either Ennis plays well in the middle or he gets moved back to wing. I understand why Rolston's giving it a shot. I also understand frustrations that we've already seen how that works out; not spectacularyly, but I counter with new coach, new system, etc.

Also, remember that we've acquired an overload of centers with the expectations that some of them move to the wing (remember that Ennis played center in juniors). So who's it going to be?

It ain't fo' sho' yet. Either Ennis plays well in the middle or he gets moved back to wing. I understand why Rolston's giving it a shot. I also understand frustrations that we've already seen how that works out; not spectacularyly, but I counter with new coach, new system, etc.

Also, remember that we've acquired an overload of centers with the expectations that some of them move to the wing (remember that Ennis played center in juniors). So who's it going to be?

IMO Ennis shouldn't play center on any team where he can't eat all of the soft offensive minutes...and as long as Grigorenko is here and going to get playing time, Ennis won't get the minutes he needs to be effective as a center. Plus, if he's at center along with Girgorenko, we once again have zero defensive acumen at the position, so I think it's unlikely at best that Rolston's system means much of anything. Even if Larsson isn't 100% ready to handle the tough defensive minutes, I think he's more ready than anyone else, and I want to see him get his chance.

I think that is a disservice to how good Larsson has been. In all honesty he has been better than Zemgus.

They could have solved a lot of these questions by waiving Porter who by all accounts didn't have a good camp. But he's a RR guy which flies in the face of all of the "talk" of earning what you get.

I'd rather see Larsson here but Girgensons needs another year in Rochester. Also Flynn is a RHS and neither of those other two guys is. Hell Larsson will be playing center.

Let Zemgus go to Rochester for the majority of the season and play 20minutes in all situations. I feel the same way about him that I do about Zadorov and his needed return to the OHL. To put that into perspective Zadorov 61 will be the next jersey I decide to buy (NOT THE 3rd BARF JERSEY EITHER) and I am still advocating he go back. We have enough guys who can cover these lines/roles. Let some of these kids learn in a controlled environment where they can make mistakes and learn.

Also, trade Stafford and then Flynn can just stay without any question... they are both 3rd line RW with potential to fill in on the 2nd line... but 1 is younger and cheaper... and better... and not named Drew Stafford.

i like flynn as well. i also think, from only the two games i have seen, that girgs needs another year in the AHL.

grigs gliding...he isnt a run and gun type of player. i think his skating definitely needs to improve but he doesnt need to be the fastest best skater out there, always flying by people and always moving. i think his value will be his hands in setting up people and making plays. as long as he can get to a point where he is strong on his skates, and doesnt look like he is about to fall over i think he will be great. having him in the NHL now so he can train with dawn braid and the conditioning staff, i think is the best choice.

Archived