2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

on the center versus wing thing. In my experience with hockey and my preference in roster building I want fast skating good stick skilled guys playing center. Center typically has more ice to cover and more space to defend so I want someone that can cover that with his feet and defend his ice with stick work.

Wingers typically have alot less defensive space to cover and have to work off the walls alot more. Things that lend to the bigger slower players (me).

To me it boils down to this. If you want Ennis to dangle and get more 1 on 1 type chances then you put him on wing and accept that you will not break out of your zone on his wall. If you want to give Ennis more chances to create scoring opportunities and overall increase his lines Time on Attack then you put him at center with a couple bigger wingers with some skill and you accept that he might get lost in coverage against some of the more offensive lines.

I'd say the centre versus wing thing also depends greatly on the system you're playing in.

most systems I have experienced all have the same basic setup on in zone defensive responiblity. the only differences are generally how low and wide the center covers, how the C and weakside D handle coverage of the slot, and how low the wingers are responsible for. anything beyond that and your getting pretty complicated and run into the thinking over reacting issues we all armchair coach about

I've given up on Stafford. He's a veteran who played one year to get his big contract. He's knows how to play just doesn't give the effort needed.

the no effort myth....Anyways he had back to back 50 point seasons (one of which was 60 games only) and the three seasons before that he averaged around 40 point seasons. I guess we need a whipping boy so stafford doesn't try

the no effort myth....Anyways he had back to back 50 point seasons (one of which was 60 games only) and the three seasons before that he averaged around 40 point seasons. I guess we need a whipping boy so stafford doesn't try

We don't need a whipping boy. Stafford is just a plug.

Things that make you go ewwww:

"The Sabres’ four centers Monday were Cody Hodgson, Tyler Ennis, Mikhail Grigorenko and Cody McCormick."

Should be an interesting year:

"The Sabres’ roster features four rookies (Mark Pysyk, Ristolainen, Girgensons and Larsson) and two skaters who’ve played fewer than 30 games (Grigorenko and Flynn). Buffalo is expected to be the NHL’s youngest team when the final totals are announced."

So you have no problem with Stafford's play? I don't need a whipping boy. Hate that cliche. You're ok with 40 point season from him? I would think more is expected of him.

• 3 weeks later...
I heard Scott played some D in the past. I think he would be murder in the corners. He's got decent skills, really; his biggest drawback is speed. If you paired him with, say, a very mobile, speedy kid, he might be okay on D.

for the love of the sweet baby jesus: john scott is many things -- insightful, funny, charming, a locker room personality without equal, a massive gorilla who can pound big guys into tomorrow -- but he is not an NHL-caliber hockey player. he just isn't.

for the love of the sweet baby jesus: john scott is many things -- insightful, funny, charming, a locker room personality without equal, a massive gorilla who can pound big guys into tomorrow -- but he is not an NHL-caliber hockey player. he just isn't.

I still am interested in seeing him on D, though. I think it'll be fun,… good or bad.

I always wanted to see Hecht on D. It would've been no crazier than trying him at center. :devil:

I do. And what better time than right now? I mean we go into every game expecting to lose away, let's see what the big guy can do.

this team went through about a dozen D last year. They were so desperate they signed a college free agent and put him directly into the starting line up. I think if hey had any inkling to put 32 on D they would have tried it by now.

Looks like the lines are being reshuffled for the weekend games: http://sabres.nhl.co...st.htm?id=21847

26 Thomas Vanek – 19 Cody Hodgson – 65 Brian Flynn

9 Steve Ott – 25 Mikhail Grigorenko – 82 Marcus Foligno

28 Zemgus Girgensons – 22 Johan Larsson – 63 Tyler Ennis

21 Drew Stafford – 8 Cody McCormick – 23 Ville Leino

32 John Scott – 12 Kevin Porter – 36 Patrick Kaleta

78 Corey Tropp (red non-contact jersey)

10 Christian Ehrhoff – 3 Mark Pysyk

61 Nikita Zadorov – 57 Tyler Myers

20 Henrik Tallinder – 4 Jamie McBain

6 Mike Weber – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen

30 Ryan Miller

1 Jhonas Enroth

Looks like the lines are being reshuffled for the weekend games: http://sabres.nhl.co...st.htm?id=21847

26 Thomas Vanek – 19 Cody Hodgson – 65 Brian Flynn

9 Steve Ott – 25 Mikhail Grigorenko – 82 Marcus Foligno

28 Zemgus Girgensons – 22 Johan Larsson – 63 Tyler Ennis

21 Drew Stafford – 8 Cody McCormick – 23 Ville Leino

32 John Scott – 12 Kevin Porter – 36 Patrick Kaleta

78 Corey Tropp (red non-contact jersey)

10 Christian Ehrhoff – 3 Mark Pysyk

61 Nikita Zadorov – 57 Tyler Myers

20 Henrik Tallinder – 4 Jamie McBain

6 Mike Weber – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen

30 Ryan Miller

1 Jhonas Enroth

Though it is sad that Flynn is playing as the #1 RW, I like that better than what they've been going with. Interesting that Leino is back.

Oh thank god. Putting Ennis and Grigs in a position where they could potentially succeed! I'm just going to make my own lines.

Vanek - Hodgson - Foligno

Ott - Grigorenko - Leino

Girgensons - Larsson - Ennis

Stafford - McCormick - Flynn

So yeah not bad Rolston. Next time don't wait so long to change the terrible lines.

Archived