2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

Got linked to this blog via Puck Daddy:

http://sabrenoise.com/2013/08/02/the-buffalo-sabres-could-be-the-worst-team-in-the-nhl-in-the-2013-2014-season/

If, instead, you choose to remain on this site, here is all you need to know: using his big brain, crazy formulas, a dash of voodoo magic, and a Magic 8 Ball, Vollman determined that the three teams destined to be the worst in the 2013-2014 season will be the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Calgary Flames, and the Buffalo Sabres.

Got linked to this blog via Puck Daddy:

http://sabrenoise.com/2013/08/02/the-buffalo-sabres-could-be-the-worst-team-in-the-nhl-in-the-2013-2014-season/

If, instead, you choose to remain on this site, here is all you need to know: using his big brain, crazy formulas, a dash of voodoo magic, and a Magic 8 Ball, Vollman determined that the three teams destined to be the worst in the 2013-2014 season will be the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Calgary Flames, and the Buffalo Sabres.

One can only hope

Does anyone really think Rasmus is going to make the big club right out of camp?

Judging from the mic'd comments we hear from Devine at the draft (specifically the "He's the most ready to play i think" comment) i think there could be a good chance thats what they want.

I'm not really concerned about the forward core right now, i think the D is a far more interesting group, so i'd like to focus on that for now.

Looking at capgeek, we can see this group of guys

Myers (Righty) - He's going to make the team. That's a definite.

Ehrhoff (Lefty) - Same story here. He's probably also going to be the teams best defender barring any miraculous improvement from Myers.

Tallinder (Lefty) - In all honesty, i cant see him staying healthy for the entirety of the season. I think he will be in the lineup when he is healthy, i just have my doubts regarding how frequently that will be. His presence on this roster i think will be similar to what patty lalime did for miller. A friend and consumate pro for a major piece of the roster, but maybe not one that sees the ice too frequently.

Mcbaine (Righty) - I really see this move (the sekera trade) as a move for a pick while taking some salary and moving a D man that frankly didn't fit the mold of what we wanted anymore. I think he will make a fine blueliner an hour down 90, and an alright fill in if we need one, but i sincerely doubt he sees much time in Buffalo.

Weber (Lefty) - He's going to be on the big club. There is no scenario in my mind barring injury where he is not in blue and gold. he showed great strides last year and i think he's setting himself up to be a big part of leadership in the locker room for years to come.

Ruhwedel (Righty) - This is a tough one. I liked what i saw out of him considering he was fresh out of college and straight into the big league, but i think his spot is up for grabs if others outplay him in camp.

Pysyk (Righty) - This is a little different of a situation from Ruhwedal. In my personal position he's the guy they have slated to take sekeras spot. It's his job to lose in my opinion.

Sulzer (Lefty) - The 7th guy, the filler-inner, the extra man, the quilted quicker picker-upper. i find it hard to believe he will find himself paired with Ehrhoff after hearing Darcy say he wanted to try to balance the handedness (left vs right) of the D. That being said, he is a damn good defender for his salary, and in my mind he is a perfect depth d-man for this rebuilding team.

So let's review:

Myers (Right)

Tallinder (Left)

Ehrhoff (Left)

Weber (Left)

Pysyk (Right)

??? (???)

Sulzer (Left)

That one spot looks awfully enticing for a right handed defender, which leads me to this little diddy

Ristolainen (Righty) - "He's the most ready to play in this draft i think" It seems pretty convenient to me that a spot for a righty opened up. (granted this is a scheme i came up with in my head to support this theory) I think IF he can impress enough in camp, they're going to give this kid a shot. Similar to the EJ Manuel discussion, if there's a tie between him and another defensemen, i would give that spot to the first round pick.

McNabb (Lefty) - He's the ideal call up for when a lefty goes down, and the same can be said for Ruhwedel regarding the righty's. These guys may end up as spare parts down the line but they make the competition between our young D all the more intense.

Thats my take on our D situation going forward. Any thoughts?

Does anyone really think Rasmus is going to make the big club right out of camp?

Judging from the mic'd comments we hear from Devine at the draft (specifically the "He's the most ready to play i think" comment) i think there could be a good chance thats what they want.

I'm not really concerned about the forward core right now, i think the D is a far more interesting group, so i'd like to focus on that for now.

Looking at capgeek, we can see this group of guys

Myers (Righty) - He's going to make the team. That's a definite.

Ehrhoff (Lefty) - Same story here. He's probably also going to be the teams best defender barring any miraculous improvement from Myers.

Tallinder (Lefty) - In all honesty, i cant see him staying healthy for the entirety of the season. I think he will be in the lineup when he is healthy, i just have my doubts regarding how frequently that will be. His presence on this roster i think will be similar to what patty lalime did for miller. A friend and consumate pro for a major piece of the roster, but maybe not one that sees the ice too frequently.

Mcbaine (Righty) - I really see this move (the sekera trade) as a move for a pick while taking some salary and moving a D man that frankly didn't fit the mold of what we wanted anymore. I think he will make a fine blueliner an hour down 90, and an alright fill in if we need one, but i sincerely doubt he sees much time in Buffalo.

Weber (Lefty) - He's going to be on the big club. There is no scenario in my mind barring injury where he is not in blue and gold. he showed great strides last year and i think he's setting himself up to be a big part of leadership in the locker room for years to come.

Ruhwedel (Righty) - This is a tough one. I liked what i saw out of him considering he was fresh out of college and straight into the big league, but i think his spot is up for grabs if others outplay him in camp.

Pysyk (Righty) - This is a little different of a situation from Ruhwedal. In my personal position he's the guy they have slated to take sekeras spot. It's his job to lose in my opinion.

Sulzer (Lefty) - The 7th guy, the filler-inner, the extra man, the quilted quicker picker-upper. i find it hard to believe he will find himself paired with Ehrhoff after hearing Darcy say he wanted to try to balance the handedness (left vs right) of the D. That being said, he is a damn good defender for his salary, and in my mind he is a perfect depth d-man for this rebuilding team.

So let's review:

Myers (Right)

Tallinder (Left)

Ehrhoff (Left)

Weber (Left)

Pysyk (Right)

??? (???)

Sulzer (Left)

That one spot looks awfully enticing for a right handed defender, which leads me to this little diddy

Ristolainen (Righty) - "He's the most ready to play in this draft i think" It seems pretty convenient to me that a spot for a righty opened up. (granted this is a scheme i came up with in my head to support this theory) I think IF he can impress enough in camp, they're going to give this kid a shot. Similar to the EJ Manuel discussion, if there's a tie between him and another defensemen, i would give that spot to the first round pick.

McNabb (Lefty) - He's the ideal call up for when a lefty goes down, and the same can be said for Ruhwedel regarding the righty's. These guys may end up as spare parts down the line but they make the competition between our young D all the more intense.

Thats my take on our D situation going forward. Any thoughts?

Good post.

I really think they are high on Pysyk.

He is the leading candidate to round out the top four.

McBain goes into camp in the number six spot, but is vulnerable. Sulzer is a good seven.

That said, my ideal group is this:

Ehrhoff Ristolainen

Tallinder Myers

Weber Pysyk

A lot of ifs, but If Risto and Pysyk play to their talent, and Hank and Myers bounce back, that is actually a really nice mix.

That said, my ideal group is this:

Ehrhoff Ristolainen

Tallinder Myers

Weber Pysyk

This could very likely be the lineup by the 25-game mark.

I will say that there isn't enough nasty for my liking. And if they ice a non-nasty D group, they'd better be much better with positional play and breakout passing than they were last year.

They could really use a bounceback year from Myers.

This could very likely be the lineup by the 25-game mark.

I will say that there isn't enough nasty for my liking. And if they ice a non-nasty D group, they'd better be much better with positional play and breakout passing than they were last year.

They could really use a bounceback year from Myers.

We really need Myers to be a little more Lidstrom and a little less Hal Gill.

I respectfully disagree. I think they bring different skills to the table.

I think, given they play the same amount of minutes, that Corey will out score Brian this year. I will definitely have a vested interest in watching this unfold this year. Granted, there is almost no way they both make the big club and get equal playing time but it will be a interesting watch.

I think, given they play the same amount of minutes, that Corey will out score Brian this year. I will definitely have a vested interest in watching this unfold this year. Granted, there is almost no way they both make the big club and get equal playing time but it will be a interesting watch.

I'd rather have Tropp and Flynn on the fourth line over scott and Porter. If we're rebuilding then lets rebuild. I actually could see those two having some great chemistry with eachother, both have similar mobility, and tropp definitely has a better shot with more edge, but i think flynn has a solid nose for the puck around the net.

Flynn needs to put more weight on. 170lbs is far too light. If we have Ennis on the team, i don't want this Flynn on the team (especially the fourth line). We tried Gerbe in that role and it didn't work

Well he weighs 180 but that is neither here nor there.

To me the main thing Flynn has is creativity and speed. Tropp has a little less speed and is heavier. Both are RW and both are interesting going forward.

I thought flynn was a natural center?

you must be thinking of gerbe.

or leino.

ennis?

EDIT: in all seriousness, flynn's signing was announced as the arrival of another young center.

EDIT2: hamilton blogged on WGR's website that pominville's departure was made possible, in part, by the fact that flynn ... flynn ... was already able (or soon would be able) to do much of what pominville could do. i can't find the link.

you must be thinking of gerbe.

or leino.

ennis?

EDIT: in all seriousness, flynn's signing was announced as the arrival of another young center.

EDIT2: hamilton blogged on WGR's website that pominville's departure was made possible, in part, by the fact that flynn ... flynn ... was already able (or soon would be able) to do much of what pominville could do. i can't find the link.

Thats some wishful thinking, but i would be beyond ecstatic if that somehow panned out to be true. I'll take a top flight two way player 7 days a week 365

So does the WGR article have any merit, will Hodgson be a problem signing? If so, another center walkingoff with no plan for it from Darcy. He better get off his backside and do somthing, or not, Sabres could end up with the number 1 draft pick next year because they have no number 1 or 2 centers. If so, next season should be really painful.

Really what is Darcy's problem finding good centers? I don't get it?

Archived