Round one Pick #14. Girgensons

spndnchz

I find this funny:

Kelly Pegula@KPegula

@hockeyGFprobs: Country music is the best thing to hit planet earth #NeverGetEnough@zemgus94

Zemgus Girgensons@zemgus94

@KPegula http://fillup.wordpress.com/2007/12/17/does-country-music-cause-suicide/

Does Country Music Cause Suicide?

Does all that crooning about drinking and divorce in country music contribute to the prevalence of suicide in its listeners? That’s the question Steven Stack and Jim Gundlach seek to answer in a recent study entitled The Effect of Country Music on Suicide. The report concludes that country music, indeed, contributes to suicide rates: Country music is hypothesized to nurture a suicidal mood through its concerns with problems common in the suicidal population, such as marital discord, alcohol abuse, and alienation from work. The results of a multiple regression analysis of 49 metropolitan areas show that the greater the airtime devoted to country music, the greater the white suicide rate.

I find this funny:

Kelly Pegula@KPegula

@hockeyGFprobs: Country music is the best thing to hit planet earth #NeverGetEnough@zemgus94

Zemgus Girgensons@zemgus94

@KPegula http://fillup.wordpr...-cause-suicide/

Does Country Music Cause Suicide?

Does all that crooning about drinking and divorce in country music contribute to the prevalence of suicide in its listeners? That’s the question Steven Stack and Jim Gundlach seek to answer in a recent study entitled The Effect of Country Music on Suicide. The report concludes that country music, indeed, contributes to suicide rates: Country music is hypothesized to nurture a suicidal mood through its concerns with problems common in the suicidal population, such as marital discord, alcohol abuse, and alienation from work. The results of a multiple regression analysis of 49 metropolitan areas show that the greater the airtime devoted to country music, the greater the white suicide rate.

This kind of makes me laugh. I've listened to country music for 23 years...yet I've never contemplated suicide because of it (or at all for that matter). In fact, nobody I know has committed suicide because of country music...I didn't realize there was actually studies on this. (I know...suicide isn't a laughing matter...but of all the things to think of that cause people to go over the edge...country music?)

The Buffalo Sports scene will drive me to off myself before my favorite music genre...

The more I see of this Twitter, the more apt I am to start up a Pegula pregnancy pool. Who's up for everyone throwing in $1 and picking players out of a hat?

Back in the day, you would have to venture out to Seymour's polo grounds on the odd Tuesday if you wanted to chat up a young lady.

You are not the only one who is wondering.

Derek Jedamski@TheHosers_DSJ

Uh oh, Pegula send prospects to Lake Placid on private jet. Next thing u know weve got Pegula's daughter & Girgensons tweeting back & forth

Here's something interesting: the coach of the Latvian national team is none other than Ted Nolan. Latvia is playing in an Olympic qualifying tournament in February that could get it into the Olympics. So, it's possible that Girgy could be playing for Nolan in the Olympics.

=955&cHash=7466d7d8e5"]http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/recap/7096.html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=955&cHash=7466d7d8e5

Here's something interesting: the coach of the Latvian national team is none other than Ted Nolan. Latvia is playing in an Olympic qualifying tournament in February that could get it into the Olympics. So, it's possible that Girgy could be playing for Nolan in the Olympics.

http://www.iihf.com/...Hash=7466d7d8e5

But at the same time, he won't be playing in that qualifying round. I wonder if the country was expecting to have him.

But at the same time, he won't be playing in that qualifying round. I wonder if the country was expecting to have him.

That occurred to me too. If he's in Rochester at the time, I wonder if the Sabres would let him go -- it would probably just be a week or so, and would probably be pretty good experience for him (as well as being a player-friendly "hockey heaven" -type move).

That occurred to me too. If he's in Rochester at the time, I wonder if the Sabres would let him go -- it would probably just be a week or so, and would probably be pretty good experience for him (as well as being a player-friendly "hockey heaven" -type move).

There may potentially be a CBA issue involved in that as well. If the league isn't allowing players to play in the Olympics themselves, they probably wouldn't be letting anyone go to a qualifying round.

Girgensons has a huge

performance bonus. One of the biggest I've seen at $700,000.

But how much of that can he ever hope to see?

While on his EL-SPC, in any particular season do we really expect to see him get:

at least 20 goals;

at least 35 assists;

at least 60 points;

at least 0.73 ppg (over minimum 42 games);

in the NHL AS Game (not young stars game); or

MVP of the AS Game?

More realistic bonuses could be:

top 3 forwards on club in +/- or

the EoS All-Rookie team.

If he hits on both of those 2 (and the last 1 can only happen once realistically) that nets him ~$430k.

Now, Grigorenko COULD hit on a bunch of those; Girgensons, while I hope he does, not as likely.

• 2 weeks later...
Listening to country music makes me want to plunge a large knife into my temple. Maybe this is what that study is getting at?
I'm with Weave and Zegmus on this one. Country music drives me to the edge.
Pop country that you can hear on the radio I agree. Alt country / Americana bands like Uncle Tupelo, early Wilco, Son Volt, Blue Rodeo, The Jayhawks and The Old 97's are fantastic.

i'm with claude; you boys upthread have a definitional problem.

this is country music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEr5JjQZgJU

EDIT: and if you say that you hate young scotty avett covering my grandpa's favorite artist ... then, i don't ... i don't know what to say to you.

Here's a random item very slightly related to Girgensons: I was watching the Olympics last night, and one of the highest-ranked BMX competitors in the world is a Latvian. (The BMX races were pretty entertaining, BTW -- short, fast and lots of crashes).

Archived