Round one Pick #14. Girgensons

spndnchz

Great news. As Lindy said, he's got the physical maturity to handle the position. And while there's a lot to be said for experiencing college life and what it has to offer, he wasn't going to grow too much as a hockey player at that level.

GO SABRES!!!

Totally agree with the bold part. I'm down on college as a place for hockey players to develop and I definitely didn't think Girgensons was going to get a ton out of being there.

This is a huge signing. Hopefully he gets to start in Rochester and gets a ton of ice time there before we need him up in the NHL.

They better sign Grigorenko shortly or else I could see this convincing him to ship off back home to the KHL.

Nah. I gotta think Vermont is gonna go balls to the wall to recruit the kid now that they have an opening at center.

GO SABRES!!!

“I always felt that the NCAA was the best way for me to develop on and off the ice. After attending the Buffalo Sabres camp, and learning their plans for me, I feel I am ready to begin my professional career,” Girgensons said. “I will always be thankful for what the coaching staff has done for me as well as the current players. I love UVM, the community, and the fans. I will always be a Cat, and will always cheer for UVM.”

Really glad to see this.

I know there is the development camp thread, so apologies if this would be better suited there. But one thing I'm interested in from those who attended - based on d-camp, who do you think was more NHL-ready: Girgensons or Grigorenko? I've heard differing opinions and I'm interested in what the experts here have to say.

Grigorenko OREO

Link to that quote above and one from the UVM coach

http://www.wcax.com/...-to-nhl-not-uvm

Same quote with more stuff:

http://blogs.burlingtonfreepress.com/oncampus/2012/07/13/girgensons-picks-sabres-over-catamounts/

"Throughout the recruiting process, Zemgus has been very loyal to UVM, turning down offers to play Major Junior Hockey as well as Russia's premier professional league, the KHL, in order to maintain his goal of playing for the Catamounts."

Don't worry. He will be signed.

I'm not. I fully expect him to be signed. It was just a thought. And now after going to TSN I see that the Craps signed Forsberg today. So it's kind of funny that the two picks who have signed so far went immediately before and after Grigorenko.

Not really. I'd be curious to see how he would react if they let him return to juniors without a deal while signing the guy they took two picks after him.

I'm not certain on this, but can a draftee return to juniors after signing a contract? If not, then the situations of Griggy and Zemgus aren't really comparable, because Zemgus is AHL-eligible while Griggy isn't.

If a draftee can get a contract but still return to juniors, then the Sabres should offer Griggy a contract, and I expect they will in order to keep him happy. Even if they don't, though, it would be a pretty immature move on his part to storm off to the KHL (and if he were to do so -- good riddance).

I'm not certain on this, but can a draftee return to juniors after signing a contract? If not, then the situations of Griggy and Zemgus aren't really comparable, because Zemgus is AHL-eligible while Griggy isn't.

If a draftee can get a contract but still return to juniors, then the Sabres should offer Griggy a contract, and I expect they will in order to keep him happy. Even if they don't, though, it would be a pretty immature move on his part to storm off to the KHL (and if he were to do so -- good riddance).

Yes, a CHL player can sign a contract and still return to juniors. The best recent Sabres examples are: they signed Catenacci, Sundher, and Luduc all in the middle of the season last year. All those guys who play 9 games and then get returned to juniors? They need a contract in place before they can even set foot on NHL ice for a game.

Darcy has been talking with his agent, so basically they did. Likely, they offered him one for X, then his agent countered with Z. Now, they're looking for Y somewhere in the middle.

---

And Girgs is now official.

Link to nhl.com story re: Signing.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=637876

Really glad to see this.

I know there is the development camp thread, so apologies if this would be better suited there. But one thing I'm interested in from those who attended - based on d-camp, who do you think was more NHL-ready: Girgensons or Grigorenko? I've heard differing opinions and I'm interested in what the experts here have to say.

I'm far from an expert, but here's my take on the two:

Hockey development-wise, Grigorenko is definitely the more NHL-ready of the two. His vision, passing and shot are excellent. On the other hand, his defensive game will be a massive liability, and if he makes the team will absolutely have to play with a pair of wingers who can protect him. The other problem he has is strength--he can get pushed off the puck too easily. He doesn't shy away from contact at all, so it's not like he's playing scared, he just hasn't developed that strength yet. Then again RNH didn't have the requisite strength last year either, and that turned out OK for Edmonton. Plus, there's still plenty of time to strength train before the season.

Girgensons seems to be physically and mentally ready to compete, but I think his offensive game is quite a bit behind Grigorenko. Best case scenario for him is he stays in Rochester this year and logs heavy minutes. I'd imagine at this point he'll be 3rd call up behind Adam and Tropp (who I don't think makes the team if Kaleta is re-signed).

Grigs and Girgs... I'm so confused...

You? YOU? Think about poor RJ!

Have to wonder also if the Zemgus signing is also prompted by some of the trades that Darcy is trying to do which would open up some entry level spaces in the organization or perhaps as a safety move if those trades don't pan out since they are now one center shorter after the Roy trade.

Girgensons seems to be physically and mentally ready to compete, but I think his offensive game is quite a bit behind Grigorenko. Best case scenario for him is he stays in Rochester this year and logs heavy minutes. I'd imagine at this point he'll be 3rd call up behind Adam and Tropp (who I don't think makes the team if Kaleta is re-signed).

Coming directly from the USHL, he's going to face one hell of a change when it comes to the quality of the competition. Quite honestly, I don't think he'll be anywhere near the top of the list for callups. Jumping from a league that is generally an even lower tier of high school aged kids up to the pro game is not an easy move.

Coming directly from the USHL, he's going to face one hell of a change when it comes to the quality of the competition. Quite honestly, I don't think he'll be anywhere near the top of the list for callups. Jumping from a league that is generally an even lower tier of high school aged kids up to the pro game is not an easy move.

Can't disagree with any of that. Then again, I never expected him to sign a pro contract until probably yesterday. I don't think he should be called up, but at this point, it probably wouldn't surprise me if it happened for a few games here or there.

It's a great signing for Buffalo for 2 reasons.

1. Girgensons is a big and nasty centermen. He has a lot of leadership qualities and will be an amazing 3rd liner in the next few years.

2. He can play for Rochester! This is great because buffalo can keep track of his progress and have an immediate call up incase of injury.

Grigorenko is the next rookie that needs to be signed but after reading posts on his development camp is he really ready for the NHL?

Why do you think we traded away Grags? And people around here don't think Darcy has foresight!!! jeeeesh! :wacko:

:lol:

Love this signing, but I hope he plays most of the season in Rochester so he can acclimate before joining the Sabres full-time. It sounds as tough he's a quick learner, so best-case scenario for me is he spends the first several months tearing up the AHL with maybe a one or two game callup to the NHL, then a late-season call-up and playoff run and he makes the squad outright next year. Of course, if he pulls a Myers after 9 games I won't complain. ;)

Archived