Round one Pick #14. Girgensons

spndnchz

Dwight, I'd actually like some reasoning as to why you have Roy with Vanek and want Ennis on the wing. I've seen enough of Roy and Vanek together to know I don't want them on the same line again, even if it means Vanek is centered by McCormick (OK slight exaggeration...but only slight). And Ennis thrives in space, especially if they start enforcing at least some of the obstruction rules again. What benefit is there to him being on the wing and along the boards more often?

Let's see what happens....I don't expect Roy here at this point, but there still won't be a true #1 C next year unless Grigorenko goes ape.

Ennis is just too small long term to be a center on a championship team. He may play there for now, but like Weave says the Sabres need to find a way not to have Gerbe on the team....they also have to find a way where Ennis isn't relied on in the playoffs at center. I think he pairs well with Hodgson and their creativity and vision would go hand in hand. Eventually he will hit a dry spell at center and turn into a turnover machine with his Max Jr. stints...and Lindy will have him back at wing. He hasn't been consistant long enough yet and now you have the size down the middle to develop.

The right mix still isn't here yet. I like finding it....and hammering with it. At least I can't complain about the draft.

Let's see what happens....I don't expect Roy here at this point, but there still won't be a true #1 C next year unless Grigorenko goes ape.

Ennis is just too small long term to be a center on a championship team. He may play there for now, but like Weave says the Sabres need to find a way not to have Gerbe on the team....they also have to find a way where Ennis isn't relied on in the playoffs at center. I think he pairs well with Hodgson and their creativity and vision would go hand in hand. Eventually he will hit a dry spell at center and turn into a turnover machine with his Max Jr. stints...and Lindy will have him back at wing. He hasn't been consistant long enough yet and now you have the size down the middle to develop.

The right mix still isn't here yet. I like finding it....and hammering with it. At least I can't complain about the draft.

Interesting. Not sure I completely agree with Ennis (not that moving him to the wing is bad, I mean 49 points as a rookie is great....I just love his explosiveness in the middle of the ice), but for the sake of argument, do you think he's a decent sell high candidate? With being moved to center and exploding down the stretch, it's hard to believe his value is anything but sky high right now. Hypothetically, let's say the Ducks peg Ennis as their #2C behind Getzlaf, and insist on him in any Ryan deal. Ennis, 1 of Pysyk, McNabb, Sekera and a 1st round pick. Do you do it? I'd have to seriously consider it, although I don't think there's any way I give up both Ennis and Sekera in the same deal.

Interesting. Not sure I completely agree with Ennis (not that moving him to the wing is bad, I mean 49 points as a rookie is great....I just love his explosiveness in the middle of the ice), but for the sake of argument, do you think he's a decent sell high candidate? With being moved to center and exploding down the stretch, it's hard to believe his value is anything but sky high right now. Hypothetically, let's say the Ducks peg Ennis as their #2C behind Getzlaf, and insist on him in any Ryan deal. Ennis, 1 of Pysyk, McNabb, Sekera and a 1st round pick. Do you do it? I'd have to seriously consider it, although I don't think there's any way I give up both Ennis and Sekera in the same deal.

Darcy is never one to sell high. He buys his own hype on his own guys. That's one of the reasons we have been where we are with overpriced contracts and underachievers.

I would trade Ennis in a millisecond. I for one am not in love with him. Nice fella....but small, injury prone so far, and a passive type of "core" follower. If you can land a proven, steady player, then go for it. I don't even think Ryan should be the guy you go after.....We have Stafford, Pominville, Lieno and Tropp on RW. You can get Doan without giving anything up and bringing in a leader. You still don't have a #1 center here to feed Vanek and Ryan if you do get him. I'd still concentrate on bringing in character and leadership over all out talent. You get guys here who play bigger, and Stafford, Lieno, Vanek, Gerbe get to play bigger as well. Let's not stop with a 1st round that fell perfectly.

Darcy is never one to sell high. He buys his own hype on his own guys. That's one of the reasons we have been where we are with overpriced contracts and underachievers.

I would trade Ennis in a millisecond. I for one am not in love with him. Nice fella....but small, injury prone so far, and a passive type of "core" follower. If you can land a proven, steady player, then go for it. I don't even think Ryan should be the guy you go after.....We have Stafford, Pominville, Lieno and Tropp on RW. You can get Doan without giving anything up and bringing in a leader. You still don't have a #1 center here to feed Vanek and Ryan if you do get him. I'd still concentrate on bringing in character and leadership over all out talent. You get guys here who play bigger, and Stafford, Lieno, Vanek, Gerbe get to play bigger as well. Let's not stop with a 1st round that fell perfectly.

1) Injury prone? Anybody on the planet that ran into the net like he did would have a busted up ankle. Other than that, what injuries has he had? We can agree to disagree on the rest, but I think calling him injury prone at this point is crazy.

2) You know as well as I do there's no way in hell Regier gives up 5 prime assets for a #1 center (which is mythical anyway, since any true #1 isn't getting traded). And frankly, after this draft, I don't even think it's the preferable path. Would I trade Grigorenko straight up for an established #1? Of course. But I'm not about to give up Grigorenko, Ennis, Sekera, Armia and McNabb or whatever absurd package it would take to pry a #1 away from a team.

This myth that Ennis is to small to play center is kinda insane. Lindy's system favors quick skating centers that can play the puck. You need big players on the walls and in the corners.........2 places centers don't go with regularity in Lindy systems. This is the reason that Goose had to work so hard on his skating. Cause that was the most important thing for centers here.

Now if we get rid of Lindy and the new coach has the centers engaging on the walls and corners more then maybe Ennis's game will translate better to wing

This myth that Ennis is to small to play center is kinda insane. Lindy's system favors quick skating centers that can play the puck. You need big players on the walls and in the corners.........2 places centers don't go with regularity in Lindy systems. This is the reason that Goose had to work so hard on his skating. Cause that was the most important thing for centers here.

Now if we get rid of Lindy and the new coach has the centers engaging on the walls and corners more then maybe Ennis's game will translate better to wing

ennis as a centerman continues to intrigue me, since it was early on in his nhl career (during 2009-2010, i believe) that he first showed glimpses of what briere used to do here -- prompting ruff to call him "greasy" before the playoff series against boston.

Absolutely disagree with you here. Outside of the first 7 games of this season when Ennis looked lost, I have never seen Ennis play a game in which he did not bust his ass. He played 82 games his rookie season and had an injury in his second season. One injury is hardly enough to warrant the status of prone.

I call bullsh##... drink :beer:

There is no concept. He is what he is.

He may only score 7 goals a year, but he seems to have about 3x the manhood of the average Sabre letter-wearer.

Come'on man.....let me get excited about SOMETHING!

I seem to recall another recent 1st round pick who "seemed have about 3x the manhood of the average Sabre" only to disappoint the masses who expected too much too soon.

There's a concept all right.

GO SABRES!!!

I seem to recall another recent 1st round pick who "seemed have about 3x the manhood of the average Sabre" only to disappoint the masses who expected too much too soon.

There's a concept all right.

GO SABRES!!!

OK.....I will go back to reality.

5 playoff games won in the past 5 years.

Highest payroll in NHL last year

Olympic Hero cartwheeled into the 13th row of Boston Gardens....or whatever the F it is now

I didn't know who this kid was before the draft. If I could talk to him for 10 minutes before camp starts I would tell him. "Listen kid...I see how hard you work......I see how you have improved yourself....I know you have the size and commitment to play in this league long term. When you step onto the ice that first day.....your biggest job is to get this group of pussies to follow your lead. There are 3 or 4 guys on that team that I know for a fact give a ######. After that, they are either scared, only care about money, gutless, not willing to work hard, or are terrified of their coach. Go out there.....feel free to put any of the top 4 centers through the boards because they will not respond......and if someone jumps you, so be it. You will be wearing a letter by the time you are 21....and quite honestly if it were up to me, you could probably wear one now. There is nothing to fear...just do what you have always done and you will be rewarded."

Jeez...this is the first time in years that the lightbulb may have actually have gone on in the heads of management. Way to ruin a good time......eh?

OK.....I will go back to reality.

5 playoff games won in the past 5 years.

Highest payroll in NHL last year

Olympic Hero cartwheeled into the 13th row of Boston Gardens....or whatever the F it is now

I didn't know who this kid was before the draft. If I could talk to him for 10 minutes before camp starts I would tell him. "Listen kid...I see how hard you work......I see how you have improved yourself....I know you have the size and commitment to play in this league long term. When you step onto the ice that first day.....your biggest job is to get this group of pussies to follow your lead. There are 3 or 4 guys on that team that I know for a fact give a ######. After that, they are either scared, only care about money, gutless, not willing to work hard, or are terrified of their coach. Go out there.....feel free to put any of the top 4 centers through the boards because they will not respond......and if someone jumps you, so be it. You will be wearing a letter by the time you are 21....and quite honestly if it were up to me, you could probably wear one now. There is nothing to fear...just do what you have always done and you will be rewarded."

Jeez...this is the first time in years that the lightbulb may have actually have gone on in the heads of management. Way to ruin a good time......eh?

And like the Concept of Kassian before him, the Concept of Girgensons continues to bloom.

I know you're only protecting yourself psychologically when he doesn't make the big squad right away. Or when someone in the A welcomes him to the pros by knocking the piss out of him.

Assuming someone in Division 1 doesn't knock the piss out of him first.

GO SABRES!!!

And like the Concept of Kassian before him, the Concept of Girgensons continues to bloom.

I know you're only protecting yourself psychologically when he doesn't make the big squad right away. Or when someone in the A welcomes him to the pros by knocking the piss out of him.

Assuming someone in Division 1 doesn't knock the piss out of him first.

GO SABRES!!!

Just please don't be one of the appologist flamers who tells me I am negative about everything. I try to get excited about something the team did and a member of....and I get pissed on for that.

Oh well.....live and learn

Just please don't be one of the appologist flamers who tells me I am negative about everything. I try to get excited about something the team did and a member of....and I get pissed on for that.

Oh well.....live and learn

That's called the Concept of Dwight Drane :P

Do you not like the taste of your own medicine, Ghost?

Ah shucks....

Well...considering I have been saying the team has to get bigger and tougher for 5 years.....

And....Darcy Regier is clueless......

And....finally after 5 years they dedicated an ENTIRE draft to adding size to their front 9........

I would maybe say the medicine was for the correct diagnosis???

The team pretty much admitted they have been wrong. I don't know how they all managed to keep their jobs through this.......but that is what it pretty much was.

That's called the Concept of Dwight Drane :P

I hear you...but see above.

Myth or not when Devine says this: “He really didn’t come onto my radar until the world junior,” Devine said. “I really saw him and said, ‘This guy can play.’ I think they got beat, 14-0, by the Russians, and we were watching film on it and he was blocking shots with four minutes left in the game. I was shaking my head.”

This means something. Winning is everything is an attitude thats hard to teach past a certain age. This guy has a special level of compete and I hope he grows the skills necessary to compete at the NHL level. I am not annointing him our Lucic or any crap like that but I look forward to seeing him in a Sabres jersey.

Archived