Round one Pick #14. Girgensons

spndnchz

Now this sounds like a Lindy-friendly pick.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1310

Girgensons had a quality second USHL season and has a good chance to be the highest draft selection to ever come from Latvia. Girgensons is a great do-it-all player who can create offense from his natural skill and still be a fan favorite because of his intangibles. Girgensons is an above-average skater with a technically sound stride and is pretty agile in tight spaces. His top speed isn't overly dangerous but still good meaning he will be able to skate with pros. Girgensons is a dangerous puck handler who I'd say is above-average to plus in that area as he can certainly make players miss and at times he can be a pretty flashy player. At other times, though, Girgensons can be a straight-ahead gritty type of power forward who drives the net, gets in people's faces after the whistle, and will lay out big hit after big hit. He also shows a diligent work ethic at both ends, and is very responsible and smart defensively for his age, which has garnered trust from his coach to play him in a lot of tough defensive minutes. Girgensons is pretty aware with the puck with a pass-first mentality. While I haven't seen high-end playmaking from him, he can certainly move the puck around and has pretty good vision.

So, that would imply that long term the plan would be Grigorenko on line 1, Hodgson on line 2, and this kid on the 3rd line. If they all pan out, and that works, does that move Ennis back to a wing?

F that. We roll 4. Ennis, Grigs and Hodgs compete for 1-2-3.

My favorite part about this pick is the potential positive impact on Grigorenko. He's now got a buddy (I presume Zegmus speaks Russian) and some competition in the weightroom.

My favorite part about this pick is the potential positive impact on Grigorenko. He's now got a buddy (I presume Zegmus speaks Russian) and some competition in the weightroom.

I was wondering this myself. The national language of Latvia is Latvian, but I don't think that is the conversational language that most people there use (anyone know?)... so I assume he knows Russian (?)... If so that'd be great.

Hopefully it develops into a little rivalry between Grigs and Girgs. Maybe Zegmus's "brindamour" esque work ethic will rib off on Mikhail

Yeah, Lukey is gonna find center a tough spot to crack. He's looking more and more like a LW every day.

Not if he doesn't play better than he did in Ra-cha-cha this year he isn't. Or did you mean an AHL LW?

Hopefully competition's good for him, because he just got a whole lot more of it.

Archived