Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Eid al-Fitr.

Ramadan ended at sunset today with confirmed sightings of the crescent new moon.

I miss Ramadan already.  When it ends it's a bit of a let down in a way.

Eid prayers are tomorrow morning and we celebrate for three days.

It's good to be back, but am not sure how much time I'll have over the next few days to read and catch up.

Thanks to all for the good wishes and I will try to address them in the coming days.

So, did I miss much?

Salam / Peace.

Welcome back friend!

Eid al-Fitr.

Ramadan ended at sunset today with confirmed sightings of the crescent new moon.

I miss Ramadan already.  When it ends it's a bit of a let down in a way.

Eid prayers are tomorrow morning and we celebrate for three days.

It's good to be back, but am not sure how much time I'll have over the next few days to read and catch up.

Thanks to all for the good wishes and I will try to address them in the coming days.

So, did I miss much?

Salam / Peace.

Welcome back, man. The biggest things you missed were Ryan O'Reilly's DUI and Oduya signing with Dallas. If you're into science there's some interesting thoughts and pictures of the probe that recently went past Pluto as well.

Welcome back, man. The biggest things you missed were Ryan O'Reilly's DUI and Oduya signing with Dallas. If you're into science there's some interesting thoughts and pictures of the probe that recently went past Pluto as well.

I believe he also missed the whole draft and ROR trade too, so there's some catching up to do.

After nearly 9 months of ridiculousness and awful project managing on the client's part, our game finally went live today.

I did all of the UI (menus, swirly stuff, etc), wrote the comics (yes those are my horrid puns), integrated all of the interactive parts of the environments, and finalized a lot of the animations. After the TMNT game from last summer, this is my biggest game yet. 

My best friend at work was the developer. It has made her and I want to make apps together in our (nonexistant) free time. Girl gamemaker duo. 

If you've got kids, let them have a play- it's got all the current nicktoon favorites, Spongebob, TMNT, Legend of Korra, Power Rangers. It's also got some characters that are from a show that hasn't aired yet (Pig Goat Banana Cricket- it's a long story, but basically nick is trying its hand at Ren & Stimpy style stuff again). 

And let me know if something breaks. Nick posted it live today and didn't update some code correctly- which resulted in the most hilariously glitched mess. 

http://www.nick.com/games/super-brawl-4.html

Well, it was fun while it lasted ;)

This post is why I love this place.

NS, you did miss a few things:

--We had a Christians vs. Muslims horseshoe tournament.  No Muslims showed up, so the Christians won, 124-0.  I'm not sure that the scoring was quite straight, but the Muslim horseshoe referee didn't show up, either.

--SDS banned the following:  nfreeman, for a tirade against Dominik Hasek; Josie, because her new doughnut animals were sub-par; and me, because I'm a jerk.  We all have returned from our bans.

--We had an Eid party.  But it was like three weeks ago.  Apparently we were early.  Hoss's carrot cake was really good.  

--nfreeman banned SDS for banning him.  It was pretty crazy.  Firearms were involved.  Sizzle and weave got into some sort of standoff.

--As a result of the foregoing, nfreeman entered mod rehab.  He has to deal with reddit for two weeks, but he'll be ok.  Sizzle was bailed out by spndnchz (she has made considerable money by hiring strippers to work next to her breakfast truck), and I guess that's the end of that part of it.

--The Sabres hired a new center who promptly got some Canadian equivalent of DWI, and, this time, Lahey is pressing charges.

Welcome back, my man.

After nearly 9 months of ridiculousness and awful project managing on the client's part, our game finally went live today.

I did all of the UI (menus, swirly stuff, etc), wrote the comics (yes those are my horrid puns), integrated all of the interactive parts of the environments, and finalized a lot of the animations. After the TMNT game from last summer, this is my biggest game yet. 

My best friend at work was the developer. It has made her and I want to make apps together in our (nonexistant) free time. Girl gamemaker duo. 

If you've got kids, let them have a play- it's got all the current nicktoon favorites, Spongebob, TMNT, Legend of Korra, Power Rangers. It's also got some characters that are from a show that hasn't aired yet (Pig Goat Banana Cricket- it's a long story, but basically nick is trying its hand at Ren & Stimpy style stuff again). 

And let me know if something breaks. Nick posted it live today and didn't update some code correctly- which resulted in the most hilariously glitched mess. 

http://www.nick.com/games/super-brawl-4.html

I am not a gamer, but I tried it out.  I can't imagine the effort that went into that.  Nice!

It's loading.  WHY CAN'T I BE AANG HE'S THE ONLY NICKTOON I EVEN LOVE ANYMORE.

Haha trust me, I'm with ya. When I play I usually am pink ranger- I did her final animations so she's my baby. I did include Aang as a trophy you can get, though!

As for the glitches- yep. We're still fixing stuff. They were asking us for additional characters as late as this Monday (it takes a month to do a character normally- we managed one this week and have to roll out another next week. Sigh. )

In general, a note I have- if you think the music sucks, we are in total agreement. They didn't let us use our own awesome sound guy- instead they used a Nickelodeon employee whose work is... Out of touch. He's seemingly enamored of bike horns and clown noises. We found ways to avoid a lot of his stuff but, alas, his final synth heavy tracks made it in.

But hey- super brawl 3 took the full office 7 months of daily work. 3 of us made this game.

This post is why I love this place.

--SDS banned the following:  nfreeman, for a tirade against Dominik Hasek; Josie, because her new doughnut animals were sub-par; and me, because I'm a jerk.  We all have returned from our bans.

I am not a gamer, but I tried it out.  I can't imagine the effort that went into that.  Nice!

Thanks 11! I'm not a gamer either- I still find it odd I do this for a living.

And welcome back NS! Always glad to have you around :)

Somewhere, there's going to be a marketing report that people from WNY prefer the pink power ranger and a media campaign will be launched based on that data.

:lol:

I sure hope so. That would make my day. I did final animations on quite a few of the others but she's by far my favorite. Leo is ok- he's all star trek-y and his laser gun turns enemies into farm animals. He was fun, too. 

Life is funny sometimes. We hired a new engineer fresh out of school and the kid has a doctorate. And I, the guy with no engineering degree, am the one training him.  :ph34r:

I'm not sure I'd hire someone with a doctorate fresh out of school, unless they had a lot of real-world experience to go with those fancy letters.

I'm not sure I'd hire someone with a doctorate fresh out of school, unless they had a lot of real-world experience to go with those fancy letters.

I don't even know why an engineer would get a doctorate if they wanted to work outside of academia. Seems like a lot of work for minimal return over a master's.

I don't even know why an engineer would get a doctorate if they wanted to work outside of academia. Seems like a lot of work for minimal return over a master's.

True dat, it's one of the few careers left you can make a go of with a bachelors.

I think that's why they hired him. The price was probably right, if you catch my drift. He's on a student visa so it's not a major commitment to get us some extra help.