Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

This is so great:

Someday when I'm in a position to have a pet again, I want a special needs dog.  I want the animal that everyone else is going to pass over and say "too much work".

This is absolutely awesome.  Thanks for posting.

I admire your commitment to sacrifice. Peace.

I appreciate this sentiment, but you know what? We don't view it as a sacrifice. We view it as an honour to be able to do it. Each year we thank God for keeping us alive to reach another Ramadan. Then we pray for Him to keep us around to reach the next one.

It is difficult at this time of year, as the fasting period each day is very long.

-----

Thank you all for your kind words and welcome back.

I came down with a fasting and lack of sleep ... Ramadan induced ... summer cold that was a doozy. I'm just now getting back on my feet.

So, I missed the draft and some trade, or other, and some other things ... thanks for the update, 11.

This is absolutely awesome. Thanks for posting.

I appreciate this sentiment, but you know what? We don't view it as a sacrifice. We view it as an honour to be able to do it. Each year we thank God for keeping us alive to reach another Ramadan. Then we pray for Him to keep us around to reach the next one.

It is difficult at this time of year, as the fasting period each day is very long.

-----

Thank you all for your kind words and welcome back.

I came down with a fasting and lack of sleep ... Ramadan induced ... summer cold that was a doozy. I'm just now getting back on my feet.

So, I missed the draft and some trade, or other, and some other things ... thanks for the update, 11.

I've always wondered, what's the takeaway from fasting? Is there something universal that Muslims feel they gain, or is it more of an individual exercise?

I've always wondered, what's the takeaway from fasting? Is there something universal that Muslims feel they gain, or is it more of an individual exercise?

Well, generally it's viewed as a way for all of us to focus on what we have and to gain humility. We are commanded to fast in the Qur'an and it is prescribed for us, as it has been prescribed for others before us, unless we are ill, or travelling. When I became ill in the last 4 days of Ramadan I did not fast ... I fed the poor to make up for it ... there are options.

We view it as a community (world-wide) and as an individual effort.

We also are supposed to use the fasting as a way to be better at all the things we are supposed to be doing. It's a way to focus our energies on taking care of the poor, feeding the hungry ... many need something to focus the energy on that effort.

We need to also fast from gossip, back bighting, bickering ... and if we don't we might as well eat and drink.

Well, generally it's viewed as a way for all of us to focus on what we have and to gain humility. We are commanded to fast in the Qur'an and it is prescribed for us, as it has been prescribed for others before us, unless we are ill, or travelling. When I became ill in the last 4 days of Ramadan I did not fast ... I fed the poor to make up for it ... there are options.

We also are supposed to use the fasting as a way to be better at all the things we are supposed to be doing. It's a way to focus our energies on taking care of the poor, feeding the hungry ... many need something to focus the energy on that effort.

We need to also fast from gossip, back bighting, bickering ... and if we don't we might as well eat and drink.

Mrs. Racer's favorite movie is Steel Magnolias. One of her favorite lines in the move is "If you don't have somethin thing nice to say about somebody, you need to come over here and sit beside me..." . Mrs. Racer will pour you a drink while quoting that, you don't need Vegas cause you're welcome here any time..

I admire you're commitment to Faith. I have found solace in a few different paths to God. The call to the poor is the one voice that I have heard in any of them. No judgement involved. If I have the means to lift you up, it is my moral duty to do so? Right? Good man. I'm glad you're back.

Enlightening. Thank you.

What is fasting like? I imagine it's not easy. What do you find most difficult about it?

Enlightening. Thank you.

What is fasting like? I imagine it's not easy. What do you find most difficult about it?

Why not try it?  It only takes 12 hours.  Frankly, as you get older, you're going to have to do it anyway for some med stuff.

Lot's of awesome today.

-4 hours of state funded respite.

-They lowered the price of out of state NYS fishing licenses by $20 (from $70 to $50).

-Catching a fish on the first cast of the day, which was also the first cast ever on my new pole.

-Continuing to catch many more fish.

-Getting caught in a lightning squall and hunkering down in the woods for a half hour getting thoroughly soaked, which, once the fear of getting electrocuted passed, was the perfect excuse to not make it back in time after the baby-sitter left to be of any use putting the kid to bed and since the sun came back out I may as well just stay on the water and keep fishing, right?... and also allowed me to stay for some,

-Beer and wings at a great place in Saugerties.

Why not try it?  It only takes 12 hours.  Frankly, as you get older, you're going to have to do it anyway for some med stuff.

The first time I did it I was 30, and not eating for a day seemed like the hardest thing I ever had to do. Now, it's just no big deal. I always felt great the next day, though.

Lot's of awesome today.

-They lowered the price of out of state NYS fishing licenses by $20 (from $70 to $50).

-Catching a fish on the first cast of the day, which was also the first cast ever on my new pole.

-Getting caught in a lightning squall and hunkering down in the woods for a half hour getting thoroughly soaked, which, once the fear of getting electrocuted passed, was the perfect excuse to not make it back in time after the baby-sitter left to be of any use putting the kid to bed and since the sun came back out I may as well just stay on the water and keep fishing, right?... and also allowed me to stay for some,

I don't understand that hobby (fishing) at all.  I've tried it, maybe fifteen or twenty times.  My B-I-L is a major fisher guy.  I think it's cool that you enjoy it but I just don't get it.

--Never caught a thing.  Maybe that's why.

Anyway.  Looks like you had a nice haul.

I don't understand that hobby (fishing) at all.  I've tried it, maybe fifteen or twenty times.  My B-I-L is a major fisher guy.  I think it's cool that you enjoy it but I just don't get it.

Catching definitely helps, but today I wouldn't have cared. It was just about getting out of Jersey and into nature, forgetting about life and staring and listening to this for a while.

post-1429-0-61277300-1437965298_thumb.jpg

That is lovely.  It looks like Glen Park in Williamsville.

That was just one tiny section of a falls on Esopus Creek. The whole thing was probably about 300 feet across with 3 drops from 15 to 30(40?) feet. Unbelievably gorgeous. Here's another tiny section.

post-1429-0-28589700-1437966133_thumb.jpg

Edited by SwampD

Lot's of awesome today.

The first time I did it I was 30, and not eating for a day seemed like the hardest thing I ever had to do. Now, it's just no big deal. I always felt great the next day, though.

Very nice.  I got skunked on the big water, but enjoyed every minute of it.

Some of it is the challenge.  But for me, most of it is that fishing seems to be the best hard reboot I can get.  My mind turns off all the stressful and I can let the blissful monotony take over for awhile.  No matter how stressful my life is, a few hours on the water and its a clean slate.

I don't care to do the actual fishing, but my Brother and Cousin love it. 

My job is to clean and cook the catch. I'm more than happy to do it. There's nothing quite like eating cast iron pan fried bass while the corpse is still flopping around on the cutting board.

I admire you're commitment to Faith. I have found solace in a few different paths to God. The call to the poor is the one voice that I have heard in any of them. No judgement involved. If I have the means to lift you up, it is my moral duty to do so? Right? Good man. I'm glad you're back.

Thank you.  You are correct in helping the needy.  Good man.  I'm glad to be back.  This place is awesome, indeed.

Enlightening. Thank you.

Fasting from food is easy.  A person can last very long without food, it's the fasting from drinking that is more difficult in that regard.

The hardest part is fasting from all the other stuff ... gossip and bickering ... we are not supposed to hide from the world and this makes it difficult in dealing with everyday stuff, you know.  That is what I really work on during Ramadan and do my best to keep it up year round, but I am only human.

During Ramadan that just passed we fasted from 3:30 AM until 9:00 PM ... about 18 hours.  That's pretty long.  I taught the whole month, so at about 3:00 PM I would break my fast (I'd eat 2 oranges and take some water), since it is not supposed to cause undo hardship, or be a reason to endanger yourself, or others.  I could not drive home if I did not break my fast ... it would be unIslamic and become haram and not remain halal ... bad vs. good.

I don't care to do the actual fishing, but my Brother and Cousin love it. 

My job is to clean and cook the catch. I'm more than happy to do it. There's nothing quite like eating cast iron pan fried bass while the corpse is still flopping around on the cutting board.

Yes, deep fried in lard is the only way.

It was about insurance issues a year ago too. So says the article. And the insurance issues are being pushed by the unions, no doubt.

I'd guess the Unions are on-board, but I'd bet on the insurance companies pushing it. Commercial driving insurance is bound to be more than a normal personal policy (which generally includes language about using your personal vehicle for livery use and "not covered" in the same sentence).