Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

My vote today goes to a very strange little device: the Neti Pot. For a while now I've dealt with congestion that leaves me waking up to coughing fits during the night. Since moving in my girlfriend has decided she thinks I have sleep apnea. I made an appointment with an ENT for a month from now, but desperate for relief I caved and decided to put my shame behind me and buy one of these things.

Last night I slept better than I have in months. Didn't wake up once, no coughing, no "frogs" in my throat in the morning. I actually feel rested after a nights sleep. Incredible.

So here's to you, guy who invented douching your own face with salt water.

Slayer-Slipknot concert last night was awesome.

OK, most of you folks have figured out that I am solidly into middle-aged-dom. I have no business having that much fun at a freak show like a Slipknot concert. Yeah, Anthrax, Motorhead, and Slayer are in my wheelhouse, but barely. Speed metal was just a bit outside of my usual music choices and their prime was about a decade after my formative musical years. But.... my son was dying to see Slipknot. And honestly, a good part of me wanted to see Lemmy and Motorhead before that old bastard dies on stage somewhere. He can't sing worth a ###### but he's an icon, right?

Anywho... the concert. Anthrax can still bring it. Of the 4 bands that played, I was most familiar with Anthrax. I was disappointed because the crowd was still filtering in when they wrapped up their set. I would have liked to see what kind of energy they can generate with a full crowd. Motorhead are iconic. But they did play like old men. No surprise seeing as they are in their late 60's. Slayer put on a hell of show. About a 1 hr set of speed metal and pyrotechnics. The crowd was amped up.

And then came the freak show. OK, before this concert I did not "get" Slipknot. I like angry, loud music. Always have. But most of their stuff is not music I would leave on the radio. And I'm well beyond thinking that musicians in costume are cool. Last night these guys showed me why they are headliners. They had the crowd whipped up into a frenzy like I have never seen before. Ever. The energy under the tent was unlike anything I have experienced. They are today's KISS and they can work a crowd like KISS only wishes they could have back in '83. The show was visual, intense, chaotic, and frankly, it was infectious. Even this old guy was into it. They sucked me right in. While they were on I was thinking, "I don't hate this at all". By the time the show was over I was thinking, "damn, what a great show". Those sumbitches are great entertainers.

I "get it" now.

Slayer-Slipknot concert last night was awesome.

OK, most of you folks have figured out that I am solidly into middle-aged-dom. I have no business having that much fun at a freak show like a Slipknot concert. Yeah, Anthrax, Motorhead, and Slayer are in my wheelhouse, but barely. Speed metal was just a bit outside of my usual music choices and their prime was about a decade after my formative musical years. But.... my son was dying to see Slipknot. And honestly, a good part of me wanted to see Lemmy and Motorhead before that old bastard dies on stage somewhere. He can't sing worth a ###### but he's an icon, right?

Anywho... the concert. Anthrax can still bring it. Of the 4 bands that played, I was most familiar with Anthrax. I was disappointed because the crowd was still filtering in when they wrapped up their set. I would have liked to see what kind of energy they can generate with a full crowd. Motorhead are iconic. But they did play like old men. No surprise seeing as they are in their late 60's. Slayer put on a hell of show. About a 1 hr set of speed metal and pyrotechnics. The crowd was amped up.

And then came the freak show. OK, before this concert I did not "get" Slipknot. I like angry, loud music. Always have. But most of their stuff is not music I would leave on the radio. And I'm well beyond thinking that musicians in costume are cool. Last night these guys showed me why they are headliners. They had the crowd whipped up into a frenzy like I have never seen before. Ever. The energy under the tent was unlike anything I have experienced. They are today's KISS and they can work a crowd like KISS only wishes they could have back in '83. The show was visual, intense, chaotic, and frankly, it was infectious. Even this old guy was into it. They sucked me right in. While they were on I was thinking, "I don't hate this at all". By the time the show was over I was thinking, "damn, what a great show". Those sumbitches are great entertainers.

I "get it" now.

did anthrax play efilnikufesin? i'm the man? caught in a mosh? i loved them back in high school. haven't seen them or heard anything of theirs since about 1991. good to know they're still playing.

I "get it" now.

well, now that you're familiar with not "getting" bands until seeing them live, you need to go see Sunn O)))...

Heh. Wiki calls them Doom Metal. WTF is that? LOL

Basically, take a normal down-tuned metal song, preferably death metal. Then, slow the bpm. To, like, 1/2 bpm. The key is to be slow, like Black Sabbath divided by 100. And play LOUD.

This music is unbearable to listen to. unless it's live. Then, it is an experience like nothing you have ever had.

Or so I've heard. I keep the metal I listen to either breakneck fast, or heavy as hell, but preferably a combo of both.

Edit: these guys are doom metal to the extreme, normal doom metal has less extreme, similar qualities.

Basically, take a normal down-tuned metal song, preferably death metal. Then, slow the bpm. To, like, 1/2 bpm. The key is to be slow, like Black Sabbath divided by 100. And play LOUD.

This music is unbearable to listen to. unless it's live. Then, it is an experience like nothing you have ever had.

Or so I've heard. I keep the metal I listen to either breakneck fast, or heavy as hell, but preferably a combo of both.

Edit: these guys are doom metal to the extreme, normal doom metal has less extreme, similar qualities.

Sunn O))) strikes me as more theatrical (performance artists?) than muscial... almost unlistenable, except in small doses. A better version of tuned down and slow but heavy IMHO is Crowbar's old stuff from the '90s. (my all-time favorite band!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfcEAd22gPo&feature=fvwrel

Sunn O))) strikes me as more theatrical (performance artists?) than muscial... almost unlistenable, except in small doses. A better version of tuned down and slow but heavy IMHO is Crowbar's old stuff from the '90s. (my all-time favorite band!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfcEAd22gPo&feature=fvwrel

That's a good tune.

Speaking of death / black metal, is anyone into Opeth? At first I didn't get the death / cookie monster vocals, but they grow on you. This is one of my favorites, the first five minutes are clean vocals, then the death metal growls kick in and punch you in the gut. Fantastic, atmospheric progressive metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0huYQQ-Gms

edit: Damn. I haven't listened to these guys in awhile, I forgot how f-ing awesome they are.

Edited by Claude_Verret

I have Opeth lyrics in my signature... I am a fairly new fan but they've jumped into my top 6-7 favorite artists quickly, beautiful stuff.

Love Opeth. They've been around for a long time... they were one of the biggest heavy bands in Europe for years before they caught on in America more recently. Saw them live in Germany once and it was an AMAZING show!

My wife. Not the 41st birthday present I was expecting at all. My wife gets me a flight to Buffalo next week and my brother and friends are picking me up in a limo to go to the Steel Panther concert in the Falls. Awesome.

Love Opeth. They've been around for a long time... they were one of the biggest heavy bands in Europe for years before they caught on in America more recently. Saw them live in Germany once and it was an AMAZING show!

When I saw steel panther in myrtle beach in May, I noticed that Opeth was going to be playing the next night at the same venue. I was very tempted to blow off work and go. I've never seen Opeth live before, but I imagine they are amazing.

Guest Sloth

that seems to be the trend lately but I have 3 funeral homes i must continue to run as well as care of my daughter so it wont be that just back to business... and to the Ute I really dont think anyone ever plans on divorce

When ever kids are involved w/ a divorce, it flat out blows. In most cases, fathers are not given the rights they should have. People try to argue civil rights have come a long way, but when it comes to divorces fathers are still being treated unfairly.

Would anyone be willing to be rocketed to Mars even if it meant it was a one way trip? To be the first person to land on another planet would be monstrously historic. i think most people would do it.

Thats a pretty solid question. Idk if i'd say most people would do it though. If i could come back? Definitely. But the whole one way things adds a huge dimension to that question IMO

Would anyone be willing to be rocketed to Mars even if it meant it was a one way trip? To be the first person to land on another planet would be monstrously historic. i think most people would do it.

Right after the Sabres win a Cup.

How about every aspect of the Curiosity rover? It's truly a shame there isn't video for one of the greatest engineering achievements of all time. I heard today that a sequence of 85 separate firings had to be made to pull that off. The fact that it was never tested before it left was incredible..

Imagine the angst of being on that engineering team.. Their risk - reward was off the charts...

Congratulations JPL... Congratulations America...

The birth of a thunderstorm. I was out in a farm field this evening and watched this cumulonimbus cloud form over the course of about 30 minutes. The "bloom" in the last pic happened so fast I could watch it grow with bare eyes.

post-2557-0-25353900-1344474839_thumb.jpg

post-2557-0-38221400-1344474854_thumb.jpg

post-2557-0-08820800-1344474876_thumb.jpg

post-2557-0-81162400-1344474893_thumb.jpg

that seems to be the trend lately but I have 3 funeral homes i must continue to run as well as care of my daughter so it wont be that just back to business... and to the Ute I really dont think anyone ever plans on divorce

Having been through it, stay busy and keep loved ones around. It can get lonely but it sounds like you have plenty to do. Good Luck! (have fun, I certainly did)