Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

We received confirmation today that we were selected to host a foreign exchange student from China for this coming school year. Needless to say, our family is excited. Never experienced the foreign exchange thing so this is all new to us. His name is Cai and he arrives sometime late in August.

ShoulD be a fun experience.

We received confirmation today that we were selected to host a foreign exchange student from China for this coming school year. Needless to say, our family is excited. Never experienced the foreign exchange thing so this is all new to us. His name is Cai and he arrives sometime late in August.

ShoulD be a fun experience.

No more yankie my wankie! The Donger need food!

Took my car in last Friday for some recall stuff to be done. The service Manager pulls my car around front and stops just short of a curb on a downslope. Goes to let off the clutch to back it up, and coasts right into the curb. I knew it was coming just by hearing my car come around the corner. He obviously isn't used to driving stick.

It's an 03 and although it's got pretty low mileage (70,xxx) it's got some definite road wear to the front fender, rock chips and the like. Guy said he'd have the whole front fender done, even though the damage was mostly done underneath.

Turned out better than expected.

This is more in the neighborhood of the literal awesome, as in creating a sense of awe.

So on Saturday, my gf and I were watching a lightning storm out of the back of my house. After a couple reasonably close strikes, lightning hits the pole in my back-neighbor's yard. Shower of sparks and whatnot, power goes out. Holy crap. A few moments later, the power comes back on and you can see arcing at the top of the pole, it looks like the ceramic insulator was fried. Power goes back out after a minute. Second time the power comes back on, more arcing, some smoke, then fire, then the box on the pole pops in a much bigger shower of sparks. (It wasn't a transformer, too small) I had tried to call the electric company previously, this time I called 911 to get the process moving.

Figuring the power was out for awhile, we went out for a fantastic dinner and some craft beer (pea and mint risotto, SlyFox O'Rielly stout on cask for her, and a nice IPA or 3 for me). When we got back, the clocks were reading 12:21, so the power had only been on for 20 minutes. Awesome!

Only a two day work week :beer:

Going on a vacation with the girlfriend and some other people to my Uncle's cabin in Rushford for a few days starting tomorrow morning. I'm turning off my phone and giving work the ol' 'you're number one' wave on my way out of town. I need these three days off after the two weeks I've had with two of my colleagues being out of the office (all of their responsibilities fell on me...made life at the office not awesome).

Bringing the kayaks up there, using the Uncle's boat, grilling, swimming (or rather, floating with beverages), and just a relaxing time. It's going to be awesome, and I just cannot wait.

No more yankie my wankie! The Donger need food!

Outstanding.

As for me: I got in a 5-mile run on a pretty country road this AM before it got too hot, then a dip in the pool to cool off (we're staying in a country house a couple of hours north of NYC for a bit this month, and the house has a pool), and now I have the house to myself all day to work and/or lounge around here. The run enables me to fill my potato-chips-and-ice-cream quota for the day, and the peace and quiet enables me to post early and often, especially when Doan signs with the Sabres later...

Now that would be awesome.

Just registered on a forum for a band that I like, with mainly foreign members. In their welcomes, they couldn't believe that I was from the city of Buffalo. "I was going to ask if you meant in a real Buffalo, but realized you wouldn't get Internet service!" They have never heard of it. Probably have no clue what the Miller avatar is, either :P

The Islamic month of Ramadan, which starts at sunset today. This month is a wonderful way for a Muslim to re-focus and evaluate.

The first day of fasting is tomorrow. As part of my fast during this Holy month I fast from all non-essential Internet and Bosnian coffee. Not only for the fasting period of true dawn to sunset, but the entire day for the entire month.

Therefore, I will see you all when Ramadan ends at sunset on Friday, August 17, 2012.

I dare say some members would say that my fasting from SabreSpace is awesome.

The Islamic month of Ramadan, which starts at sunset today. This month is a wonderful way for a Muslim to re-focus and evaluate.

The first day of fasting is tomorrow. As part of my fast during this Holy month I fast from all non-essential Internet and Bosnian coffee. Not only for the fasting period of true dawn to sunset, but the entire day for the entire month.

Therefore, I will see you all when Ramadan ends at sunset on Friday, August 17, 2012.

I dare say some members would say that my fasting from SabreSpace is awesome.

Well, see you then! Hope you have a wonderful Ramadan!

Just think, next time we see you, we'll be less than two months away from hockey! (barring a....lockout....)

In a day and age where business "leaders" cave in to the winds of whatever zeitgeist is happening, it sure is AWESOME and refreshing to see someone remain principled to his core values.

Yeah, I kinda knew that's what that link was going to be. I really like Chick-fil-a, but I stopped eating there a few years ago due to the management's views. So be it.