Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Does it get any more self-righteous then the opening of that post? It's usually better if you don't slap people in the face immediately before making your post.

It was not meant to come across as self-righteous, but I do apologize for having offended you that way. It probably would have come off better had I dropped the first half of that sentence.

It was not meant to come across as self-righteous, but I do apologize for having offended you that way. It probably would have come off better had I dropped the first half of that sentence.

Once I posted it I thought oh crap now I'm being a dick.

Nope!

Not for some time, now!

... :P .

Not since 1453.

Having said that, I'm not sure if you've read this man's novels. I haven't read them, but I thought that you might be interested in them - given when and where they're set.

Once I posted it I thought oh crap now I'm being a dick.

There's always the edit feature tab... :)

Edited by Crosschecking

You know, even old New York was once New Amsterdam.

Actually, if I am not mistaken, the Dutch "purchased" (from the Seneca "Indians" ... I don't like that term ----- First Nations) the area that is now Buffalo, NY around 1800. Someone started calling it New Amsterdam, but it seems like he was the only person to do so and the name didn't stick.

Not since 1453.

Having said that, I'm not sure if you've read this man's novels. I haven't read them, but I thought that you might be interested in them - given when and where they're set.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have heard of him and his treck, but have not read any of his books.

FYI ...

Istanbul is one of my favourite cities.

haha

I would love to see a modern take on Buck Rogers.

I'd prefer a modern remake of Duck Dodgers ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Dodgers

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Actually, if I am not mistaken, the Dutch "purchased" (from the Seneca "Indians" ... I don't like that term ----- First Nations) the area that is now Buffalo, NY around 1800. Someone started calling it New Amsterdam, but it seems like he was the only person to do so and the name didn't stick.

Looks like you're mostly correct on both parts, the purchase is kind of correct:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland_Land_Company

And the name appears to be correct:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo,_New_York

I knew about the land company part, but I never caught the name. I guess the Dutch are lucky we let them keep Amsterdam, NY as-is.

My power has been out all morning. At first I wanted to complain, but then decided it's actually very pleasant.

Sittin out on the deck in the cool air makin toast and beans with the gas grill. Not an air conditioner in the whole complex is running. Nice and quiet.

Although I'm sure as soon as I post this it'll come back on. But it sure will be nice while it lasts.

Awesome.