Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Nope.  Pickup still needed to move over.

I'll add that the efforts of the pickup to box in the camaro were, in hindsight, essentially egging on a drunk. All the more reason you simply move over and let an impatient driver pass.

Yes. Pass the semi, get right and let camaro pass. If you must get your road rage "revenge"  then call in his plate as a suspect DUI, which in this case would have turned out to be correct.  

Of course his boss gets to see this video. It's not going to be on a piece of papyrus that has to cross the seven seas to get the proper stamps to return to a PO Box in Togo.

It's entirely possible that the semi driver and the boss aren't fully connected to the internet and don't know the video exists. The dash-cam driver did pull over and presumably told the driver (if the driver wasn't badly hurt) and police so word *should* get to them, but there's a chance that won't happen.

I've been on the Google machine looking for something that says the logs are absolutely required by law to be a part of the accident report and I'm not finding anything saying that...

Most law offices request that their clients put in a request for the driver logs as soon as possible as they can be deleted/destroyed after a certain time. Why would they need to request the driver logs if they're required to be a part of the accident report? The accident report is part of the evidence. If the log is part of the initial report then there is never a need to request it.

This is a complete aside and could continue in PMs if you're interested because I legitimately am. What you're saying makes sense, but I'm not finding anything to support it.

It must be nice to be young and ideallistic. :) (I mean that in a good way)

I can't imagine there was anything wrong legally, unless he's well below the speed limit at that point (not sure what the law's view is on that).  Following the law and being a duchebag are not mutually exclusive though.

It doesn't look like there's a hard Keep Right law in NY that I could find. Several other states (PA, NJ, etc.) explicitly state that you cannot impede the flow of traffic in the left lane if the right lane is clear.

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

OMG what an idiot.

I have no words.

Nor I.

A couple of notes taken away from that incident. The Camaro ###### is 99.99% a fault but the pickup was trying to "police" the dick head. It's not his place to do that. If you have a problem with his driving, dial 911. I'm sure they'd be happy to listen. It only made a bad situation worse.

As for The dashcam guy, when I see someone driving that aggressive, I back the ###### off. I'm not going to end up eating someone's bumper because I wanted to watch an ###### be an ######.

I am 100% with this. Guy in the pickup found himself understandably pissed off at the Camaro driver's recklessness. But you have to ease up on the gas in those situations (*ahem*). Call 911 as someone mentioned.

batman66bomb.gif?w=350

Oh, I just love this.

How does that guy take a phone call while he has been watching this develop next to a tanker and a double?

I agree with Ink....after 10 seconds of seeing that crap, I drop back 50 yards behind the tanker and lose a precious 15 seconds until it gets sorted out.

Dashcam guy is lucky he wasn't involved. Had I been in dashcam guy's position, I would've shifted right and been half a mile from that incident, if I could've managed it.

http://wivb.com/2015/04/27/video-captures-big-crash-on-i-90-near-batavia/

Camaro dude blew 0.19

Does this change anyone's opinion? 

Does not change my opinion, but it does confirm what I saw.

Ha - it's like another version of how advanced stats intersect with a scout's "eye test." 

Oh, and this belongs here as well:

(And that video and song, ironically, does provide something awesome -- also a song I can't get out of my head.)

Edited by That Aud Smell

On a final note, I find it interesting that there's an assumption, including by me, that these are male drivers. NS nailed it: he or she...

The way I was taught English, an indeterminate gendered person is referred to as "he" and "him."  I realize that in today's politically correct world that's a very paternalistic and politically incorrect, but I still see it as neutral.

It varies by state.  It's perfectly legal here in Texas.  Let the driver beware.

YEEHAW!

But Texas is the only state where I've seen a driver pull over to the shoulder (never slowing down) and allow a car behind him to freely pass without having to change lanes.

RIDE'm COWBOY!

It's entirely possible that the semi driver and the boss aren't fully connected to the internet and don't know the video exists. The dash-cam driver did pull over and presumably told the driver (if the driver wasn't badly hurt) and police so word *should* get to them, but there's a chance that won't happen.

The news has the video, so the police have the video.  The only reason the company wouldn't be aware of it is because they're intentionally avoiding it.

But Texas is the only state where I've seen a driver pull over to the shoulder (never slowing down) and allow a car behind him to freely pass without having to change lanes.

RIDE'm COWBOY!

In Thailand, it is extremely common for vehicles to move over onto the shoulder with the blinker on to let faster vehicles pass. It's a pretty awesome system.

It doesn't look like there's a hard Keep Right law in NY that I could find. Several other states (PA, NJ, etc.) explicitly state that you cannot impede the flow of traffic in the left lane if the right lane is clear.

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

At that point, though, the right lane was decidedly not clear.

RIDE'm COWBOY!

Yes, the shoulder is commonly referred to as the Aggie passing lane.

In Thailand, it is extremely common for vehicles to move over onto the shoulder with the blinker on to let faster vehicles pass. It's a pretty awesome system.

It would never work in PA, we barely have roads wide enough to paint the lines on, let alone a shoulder to drive on. 

At that point, though, the right lane was decidedly not clear.

Fair enough, but the pickup seemed to be overtaking the semi until he started paralleling the teach the moron a lesson. If someone were so inclined, I bet they'd see the speed had slowed down based on how many dashed-stripes were passing per second.

Bet on ..

1. His insurance was paid up?

2. That he had anymore than state minimums for coverage?

I'm going with no on the first, and the rest doesn't matter.

Those guesses are likely correct, which just makes it all the more likely that the pickup driver has no idea how close his desire to teach that d'bag driving the Camaro a lesson came to costing him his life or a lifetime in a wheelchair.

Josie tells me that in Ohio, drivers who have had DUI's and get their license back have to drive with a bright orange license plate on their car for pretty much ever.

Yellow.

Which is why, when New York started switching to the new black and yellow design, I truly believed that most of the drivers I encountered were prior DUI offenders. 

Can't wait to drive my yellow plated NY car into my hometown at some point and hear about the gossip fire that follows....

Awesome: I think I may have landed the biggest freelance job of my career thus far. Let's just say it's for a massive company that everyone knows and uses. Looks like a tall order and I'm hoping I have the time to do it. It would be a massive portfolio piece if so. 

Yellow.

Which is why, when New York started switching to the new black and yellow design, I truly believed that most of the drivers I encountered were prior DUI offenders. 

Can't wait to drive my yellow plated NY car into my hometown at some point and hear about the gossip fire that follows....

Awesome: I think I may have landed the biggest freelance job of my career thus far. Let's just say it's for a massive company that everyone knows and uses. Looks like a tall order and I'm hoping I have the time to do it. It would be a massive portfolio piece if so. 

congrats and good luck!!

Yellow.

That is awesome! Good luck with the project.