Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

This is awesome. That bow slapping is just... *shudder*

So I took this to mean that they were playing col legno (with the wood of the bow being used to tap on the strings of the cello) but didn't see it. Admitted, I skipped around. Did I miss it?

So I took this to mean that they were playing col legno (with the wood of the bow being used to tap on the strings of the cello) but didn't see it. Admitted, I skipped around. Did I miss it?

They were just hitting so hard on the hair side that the wood was hitting the finger board.

Nope. They're just coming down hard on the string with the bow. It's not slapping per se, but I didn't know what else to call it.

They were just hitting so hard on the hair side that the wood was hitting the finger board.

This makes sense.

Yeah but it's not mine or yours. It's the "kick the can down the road" generations prior.

Example:

Manufacturing company board of directors: we need to find a way out of this labor dispute so that the shareholders continue to elect us and we continue to receive lucrative salaries. But we can't hand out large wage increases.

International union board of directors (I'm not talking about the locals, here): we need to find a way out of this labor dispute so that the members continue to elect us and we continue to receive lucrative salaries. But we need to show our members that they are getting actual money, not some intangible benefits.

One board: I know! How about a pension fund!

Other board: But what happens when there are too many members drawing on the fund?

One board: Won't we be dead by then?

Other board: And it will be some other board's problem by then, right?

One board: Right!

Other board: It's a deal.

you forgot to add the: #GreatestGeneration

Nope. They're just coming down hard on the string with the bow. It's not slapping per se, but I didn't know what else to call it.

This makes sense.

Actually, the string was probably slapping the FB as well. I don't want to know what their rehairing budget is.

Martellato. The reason I asked is because I think repetitive col legno is really difficult on any string instrument except the double bass (the rebound off of the string helps the player control the bow a little better).

Actually, the string was probably slapping the FB as well. I don't want to know what their rehairing budget is.

From the size of the crowd, I'll bet it's not a concern.

Edited by Eleven

Martellato. The reason I asked is because I think repetitive col legno is really difficult on any string instrument except the double bass (the rebound off of the string helps the player control the bow a little better).

That sound like something I might be good at. I'm a percussionist turned bassist so who knows. I'm not the strongest bower but I've never tried to play col legno.

That sound like something I might be good at. I'm a percussionist turned bassist so who knows. I'm not the strongest bower but I've never tried to play col legno.

GIve it a shot sometime. It is easier with a French bow than with a German, I think, even though I preferred a German when I played. The opening of Holst's Mars wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Edited by Eleven

Blizzards after the Ides of March ...

http://weather.gc.ca...9_metric_e.html

It's crazy to think about how hard the cape got hit yesterday and meanwhile Boston had the lightest dusting imaginable. The wind really sucked though. Fortunately I got to stay inside at home all day thanks to an eye procedure and not wanting to drive yet. It's much warmer there.

It's crazy to think about how hard the cape got hit yesterday and meanwhile Boston had the lightest dusting imaginable. The wind really sucked though. Fortunately I got to stay inside at home all day thanks to an eye procedure and not wanting to drive yet. It's much warmer there.

I hope your eye procedure went well and that you are on the mend.

We got hit hard. A real blizzard with lots of snow and high winds + the cold. It's hard to tell exactly how much snow because of all the drifts.

The whole province pretty much shut down yesterday and is slowly getting back to normal now. The sun is shining this morning.

Sounds very thread-worthy! What game are you working on?

I'm honestly kind of surprised it's going to be aired when it is- I thought it was just another game. It's for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The show, not that movie. Can't really tell you much more than that. I'm doing all the environmental design and UI. I'd been working on it for a month and then was told it was delayed, wasn't sure why. Was given new dates and told that while my bosses were at GDC in San Fran, they decided this game is going with Comic Con! Equal parts nervous and excited now. And aware it may get reschedule and not be there after all. You never know! But for now, cool!

Also on the awesome sauce side of things- I'm headed to Toronto tomorrow for an environmental design workshop at Imaginism studios. http://www.imaginismstudios.com/

The guy teaching it, Nathan Fowkes http://nathanfowkes.blogspot.com/ , worked on films such as How to Train Your Dragon and Prince of Egypt.

It's a dream, man... I would never be able to afford to go to these kinds of things, but my boss footed the bill for all of us designers. Most are going for 3 workshops this weekend- I just couldn't afford the time/money to spend a whole weekend in Toronto. Drive up, take the class, score some poutine, avoid Maple Leafs fans and hide my Red Wings allegiance (they're playing tomorrow night), and drive home.