Regier Looking to Deal: LeBrun

HopefulFuture

The problem is that I get my hopes up when I see a new post in this thread. It seems like there are plenty of other places that the team's softness could be discussed... Without loading the list, I would say the Lindy on the hotseat or It all started with Lucic threads would be better.

Well if there wasn't this discussion in this thread, it would have been on page 6 by now cause Regier may be looking to deal, but theres been nothing new on that front since the offseason. Even the rumor sites are pretty quiet on any possible trades. The only talk has been that Roy, Stafford, Boyes may all be available and moved.

Its not like this thread is super busy right now with rumors and talks of Darcy hard at work improving this team

The problem is that I get my hopes up when I see a new post in this thread. It seems like there are plenty of other places that the team's softness could be discussed... Without loading the list, I would say the Lindy on the hotseat or It all started with Lucic threads would be better.

I think it's my fault. Someone somewhere above posted that Regier and Ruff hate toughness, and I focused on the Ruff part. (I later moved a comment from Swamp to the appropriate thread and responded to it there, but the damage already had been done.) My apologies.

the problem with the forwards is not defensive zone coverage. It is the backcheck. Almost every forward on this team has made repeated mistakes in coverage on the backcheck. that in turn makes the more offensive defensmen on this team 2nd guess jumping into the rush, cause if their caught up ice they have little faith in the forwards to cover it. I really don't understand the mistakes by the forwards on this either since Ruff has always had his teams back check good. Combine that with forwards that can't score or even keep the puck in the offensive zone and you get a defense that trys to do to much and makes alot of mistakes.

We need to bring in some strong forechecking forwards and some guys that can control the puck on the wall. As for fixing the backcheck...... the only 2 things I can think of is either get rid of some forwards that are making the most mistakes on it or to fire Ruff

I think at this point, the question is not if they will be sellers at the deadline, but how much do they sell? I am sure the Rochester fans wouldn't want the Sabres to sell off 3 or 4 assets, and then call up an equal number of players from the Amerks, who would in turn be replaced by ECHL players. Such is life being a farm team, right?

I think it's my fault. Someone somewhere above posted that Regier and Ruff hate toughness, and I focused on the Ruff part. (I later moved a comment from Swamp to the appropriate thread and responded to it there, but the damage already had been done.) My apologies.

Looking back over the course of the thread I too got caught up in that same tangled web.

I apologize for that, as well.

The Sabres problems this season appear to be that they have just given up and are hoping for a mulligan/ride out the year. I think that once the injury bug started hitting hard, and they started to get into a slump, they just gave up and thought the season is over

This. And it wasn't just the players -- it was DR as well. I still can't believe he sat on his hands from xmas through the all-star break and just watched the season go down the drain. It's a fireable offense.

I think at this point, the question is not if they will be sellers at the deadline, but how much do they sell?

This too. I suspect the answer will be "not as much as I want them to sell off."

I think at this point, the question is not if they will be sellers at the deadline, but how much do they sell? I am sure the Rochester fans wouldn't want the Sabres to sell off 3 or 4 assets, and then call up an equal number of players from the Amerks, who would in turn be replaced by ECHL players. Such is life being a farm team, right?

But at the same time, they'd probably be brining back a couple prospects in any deal like that.

I'd like to see that in a '76 60 Special.

The '76 60 special was a 5800 lb beast powered by a 500 c.i. engine generating 190 hp and 380 ft lbs of torque. 20 lbs of boost would have blown the pistons right out of the block.

The only thing getting lit up in that car was Cheech Marin.

I don't necessarily think this team needs to bang bodies to be successful, frankly I don't think they have the personnel to make it work. But I do think you used the correct word in the last sentence. They need to be aggressive. They have not played an aggressive 60 minutes all season. Heck, I'm not sure they've played an aggressive 40 mintues all season. When this team is aggressive on the puck, aggressive to cover bodies, aggresive in challenging rushers they look like they can compete with all but the elite of the league. The problem is this has been a passive season for nearly every player on the ice.

Well-said.

Regier maybe looking to deal but outside of Getzlaf there are no known centers of sufficient quality to acquire. Parise is a big maybe and I don't even want to touch that convo. Bottom line we must draft a center. Darcy has failed for over a decade at drafting centers. Actually can anyone name 1 top line center that DR has drafted? (They may exist) We can no longer afford to draft the best player available. We must draft a first round center over 6' who likes to run things over and play in the dirty areas. We can not draft a 5'10" who we might be able to teach to play in the dirty areas. Thats why i dont care what Regier does now because I do not believe he has the ability to trade for that center or the brains to draft him.

I don't necessarily think this team needs to bang bodies to be successful, frankly I don't think they have the personnel to make it work. But I do think you used the correct word in the last sentence. They need to be aggressive. They have not played an aggressive 60 minutes all season. Heck, I'm not sure they've played an aggressive 40 mintues all season. When this team is aggressive on the puck, aggressive to cover bodies, aggresive in challenging rushers they look like they can compete with all but the elite of the league. The problem is this has been a passive season for nearly every player on the ice.

They look like a team that wants to do it the easy way. They don't want to pay the price physically to compete for space, position or the puck. I also agree that they are not built physically to bang, nor are most of them of that temperment. That's the kind of player we seem to draft and acquire............. But that's beating the same dead horse we have been for months, or years for some of us.

Archived