Regier Looking to Deal: LeBrun

HopefulFuture

By the way, here is a little information from a credible reporting source.

[A trade] will be the next move for the Buffalo Sabres if Darcy Regier has his way.* I’ve talked to other teams around the league over the last week.* Regier is doing his homework.* He’s talking trade with teams.* What he’d like to do is move a top 6 forward in return for a top 6 forward.* Easier said than done.* Drew Stafford, Derek Roy, Brad Boyes - those are names that I’ve been told are in play for the Buffalo Sabres.* Not every team in the league is going to want to move a top 6 for a top 6, but that’s what he’s trying to do.

Per LeBrun

So, it would appear that Stafford, Roy and Boyes are the three main components Darcy is looking to move.

He's looking for top 6 returns. Let's discuss.

That makes the most sense. Sad thing it takes Regier to pull off any kind of deal.

Discuss what? These guys aren't Top 6 forwards IMO. Maybe Roy.....He aint gunna get much for these guys IMO. It's time to blow it up and start over, make everyone available. You have bigger names that will return some pieces you can build around.

I think there are a number of teams who'd take a shot on Stafford and Roy. Boyes less so.

That makes the most sense. Sad thing it takes Regier to pull off any kind of deal. I think there are a number of teams who'd take a shot on Stafford and Roy. Boyes less so.
Get 'em out of here. Whatever it takes. I've said it before, who here would be really upset if the Sabres got the short end of the stick in a deal that rids us of Stafford and Roy?

That makes the most sense. Sad thing it takes Regier to pull off any kind of deal.

I think there are a number of teams who'd take a shot on Stafford and Roy. Boyes less so.

But for a Top 6 forward? I'm sure there are alot of teams that would take a chance on any of the players on the Sabres roster, but not for that kind of asking price. Teams know the Sabres are desperate, and that those players are underachieving, theres no way they get equal value (or what Regier believes is value equal to the kind of player he thinks they are) in return

Get 'em out of here. Whatever it takes. I've said it before, who here would be really upset if the Sabres got the short end of the stick in a deal that rids us of Stafford and Roy?

We are talking about Buffalo fans here, everyone wants them gone at any price, but when it happens, this board will go nuts if its not a good return

We are talking about Buffalo fans here, everyone wants them gone at any price, but when it happens, this board will go nuts if its not a good return

None of these guys(other then possibly Roy)really have "good return" screaming at them. Just trade a bigger piece to the team, get new players and culture. Would rather suffer growing pains and have a season like this if it meant something, this bad season isn't really due to growing pains of the team.

Same story for the past month. The Sabres are news right now and everyone wants a piece.

To me, this is not new news.

While trading Roy, Stafford, Boyes, whoever, isn't a "new" idea, the fact that other GMs have confirmed Darcy is looking for trade kind of contrasts with Pegula's comments last week about "putting Humpty Dumpty back together" or whatever. At least they are somewhat looking to do something, though not the splash everyone hoped.

But for a Top 6 forward? I'm sure there are alot of teams that would take a chance on any of the players on the Sabres roster, but not for that kind of asking price. Teams know the Sabres are desperate, and that those players are underachieving, theres no way they get equal value (or what Regier believes is value equal to the kind of player he thinks they are) in return

I'm sure player like Ruutu could be acquired, a rough and ready possibly top 6 forward. Even if it was Stafford plus Ellis or something like that.

While trading Roy, Stafford, Boyes, whoever, isn't a "new" idea, the fact that other GMs have confirmed Darcy is looking for trade kind of contrasts with Pegula's comments last week about "putting Humpty Dumpty back together" or whatever. At least they are somewhat looking to do something, though not the splash everyone hoped.

Agreed, at least this proves something is in the works.

I tend to agree with you nfreeman.

This should have been addressed much earlier than this.

Yeah. Last year at the trade deadline. I know I keep beating this drum but it was the right thing to do. Sabres MGT missed there chance to blow the thing up and get a quick rebuild started. Now we are in a cap mess and are at the mercy of teams that know we are not dealing from a position of strength. MGT really dropped the ball in their evaluation of this team last season.

Right now I would be happy if Roy and Stafford we dealt for a couple of ready-for-NHL prospects with top 6 projections. Get them here, get them in NHL games, get the next era started.

We're dealing from a point of weakness so they've got Darcy right where they want him. Instead of setting the market at a time when his players are valued, Darcy waits till he's between a rock and a hard place and reacts to what he's dealt and lowers the return. When a bold move is needed to change the culture and improve the team he's painted himself into a corner. My guess is he makes a token move for appearances.

I think being impatient might make sense for the Sabres. I think clearing salary cap right now is useful as a number of free agents will become available in the summer of 2012. Start courting free agents now (or at least as much is legally permitted). It will be clear we are serious about rebuilding. I think clearing out deadwood right now would be a good idea - get what you can for some chronic underperformers (Roy, Stafford and Boyes) but don't hold out for value. They probably don't have much now. Trade low if you need to and stock up on picks. Also, clear a big number at goalie and make do with Enroth and someone we can pick up in the free agent market.

I would like to see the young kids coming up from Rochester not poisoned by what might be a bad locker room. Losing is contagious. If Kassian, Adam etc regressed with the current team/coach/management in place, don't let them rot in the apple barrel with the other bad apples. A new GM and coach are important part of the equation as I think the attitude of losing, or just making do may be entreched on the new guys coming up.

I think looking to the future, the Sabres should decide on the strategy they want to use. Are they a puck possession team? Are they a "defend the house" first team? Are they a punishing/fighting team? Are they a rucking/mauling team that plays in front of the net? Are they a team dedicated to fitness which will outwork any team? Are they a fast break team? Are they a soft, lost floating team that likes to shoot from the outside (current)?

I don't sense an identity or a strategy here now, but they need to have the personnel for the system they play. I think chemistry needs to be build with consistency, and the Sabres lines are scrambled (even when healthy) far too often. I don't think we have any clear system which allows players to be interchanged so frequently. I think different lines can have different identities, but I think identities help focus players to play with their other teammates.

But I would like to have clarity, strategy and purpose. I suspect, if Pegula is smart, he is making these choices now, caught off guard that he needs to do these course corrections a lot earlier than he planned. Right now, it feels like it is managerial deer in the headlights time, but I am hoping some smart thinking is being done right now which will turn to action very shortly.

Note to Regier...Your "top 6" player, plus one of the million defensemen prospects, plus anything else for a young NHL center prospect in his last year of amateurs, or ready to make the leap from the AHL to the NHL.

I really want Regier fired today. I do not trust him to make any moves.

Archived