Regier Looking to Deal: LeBrun

HopefulFuture

It's not going to work out all of the time, but when was the last time we drafted a top line player that late?

And it's a low risk pick anyway. You'll probably end up with a serviceable player but maybe you get something special.

Gerbe and Kaleta were fairly late picks.

And I'm sick of people on this board underestimating Riley Boychuk.

Gerbe and Kaleta were fairly late picks.

And I'm sick of people on this board underestimating Riley Boychuk.

Gerbe might be a good example here. He is tiny, but he is built like a sparkplug and has tenacity. If you go after guys who are 5'9"-6' with his makeup, year after year in the mid rounds, you will have a 3rd and 4th line set for 10 years in a matter of 4 or 5 drafts.

There is scuttlebutt about Detroit looking at the Sabres. Dollars to doughnuts it is Gaustad and Leopold they are focusing in on. They would be wise to in their situation.

Gerbe might be a good example here. He is tiny, but he is built like a sparkplug and has tenacity. If you go after guys who are 5'9"-6' with his makeup, year after year in the mid rounds, you will have a 3rd and 4th line set for 10 years in a matter of 4 or 5 drafts.

There is scuttlebutt about Detroit looking at the Sabres. Dollars to doughnuts it is Gaustad and Leopold they are focusing in on. They would be wise to in their situation.

Didn't we decide that it's doughnuts to dollars, now?

And if Detroit is looking at those two, I'm not unhappy. I'll take a decent prospect or player for Leo (I like Leo, but that gets McNabb up here and learning the NHL game), or a decent pick for Gaustad.

Miller was a round 6 pick. He worked out OK.

How the hell did I miss that one?

But he's no Riley Boychuk.

Sure. He was a Hobey Baker winner. He is built like a 2 by 4 with a set of pads.....that's why he lasted. Still turned out to be a great pick.

He wasn't a hobey baker winner when he was drafted. He hadn't even gone to Michigan State yet.

And have you seen these kids at draft time? They all look like 2 x4's.

He wasn't a hobey baker winner when he was drafted. He hadn't even gone to Michigan yet.

And have you seen these kids at draft time? They all look like 2 x4's.

Good point. Too much football talk. The football draft is much less a crapshoot.

I wonder if Cliff Benson gets to go to the draft combine this year?

It's not going to work out all of the time, but when was the last time we drafted a top line player that late?

And it's a low risk pick anyway. You'll probably end up with a serviceable player but maybe you get something special.

Again, more guys with decent careers who have ended up about where they should have after being drafted in those rounds. None of them are all-stars by any means.

I think you are severely overestimating the prospects of a round 5-7 pick. If they have any NHL career at all they are a huge success.

And Campbell was an all star, and probably should have been this year.

I think you are severely overestimating the prospects of a round 5-7 pick. If they have any NHL career at all they are a huge success.

And Campbell was an all star, and probably should have been this year.

Brian Campbell? Plus-7 and an assist in the All Star Game the other day, if that's who you mean.

I wasn't thinking about it from a Sabre perspective. I was thinking from a Vanek and NHL perspective and how great it would be for the league. If I were running the Sabres I would be looking for a package of picks and top prospects.

We'd get outsmarted by Detroit easily on a deal like that. I just remember how unhappy Slava Kozlov was to come to Buffalo. You'd think going from the Red Wings to the Sabres must be a huge step down in quality of organization...plus you have to get players who want to be in Buffalo, which isn't easy.

We'd get outsmarted by Detroit easily on a deal like that. I just remember how unhappy Slava Kozlov was to come to Buffalo. You'd think going from the Red Wings to the Sabres must be a huge step down in quality of organization...plus you have to get players who want to be in Buffalo, which isn't easy.

That is a huge problem, going from one of the league's premier franchises to the Buffalo Sabres would have to be crushing.

If we dump Roy or Gaustad in a trade we better get an NHL caliber center or prospect who is capable of making the jump very shortly. Ennis has been playing admirably at center since returning from injury but with Hecht's concussion issues and the painfully obvious lack of depth we have at the position I think we'd end up regretting any deal made to unload either of these guys big time.

If we dump Roy or Gaustad in a trade we better get an NHL caliber center or prospect who is capable of making the jump very shortly. Ennis has been playing admirably at center since returning from injury but with Hecht's concussion issues and the painfully obvious lack of depth we have at the position I think we'd end up regretting any deal made to unload either of these guys big time.

A Roy trade has to bring back a quality center, albeit maybe one who is having a rough year and needs a change of scenery. I don't feel quite the same way about Gaustad, because he's not as good.

Goose is definitely playing like he's being shopped, that's for sure.

If that is the case, he can't get out of my city fast enough. I have NEVER seen him play the way he has the last 2 games and if it's because he might be shipped, that's just crap. It's just too bad that he can't play like that in even 50% of the games here. He was a REAL difference maker against the Rangers and you could take away the goal and two assists and I would have said the same thing.

Except for Darren Helm maybe....I can't think of a late rounder in Detroit that has worked out in the last 10 drafts. .

I'm glad you mentioned it because I was looking up that info the second I read the post. That late draft reputation is based solely on three players, Zetterberg (1999), Datsyuk (1998), and Holmstrom (1994). Their most recent wave of dominance (post-Yzerman) was built directly on the backs of these three players.

Their draft history since then is a great example of how the NHL draft works. One guy works out really well and then the rest never materialize. Detroit seems to consistently get that one good guy out of their draft classes, but more recently it looks like they haven't done quite as well. Having the three horses I mentioned above covers for that though. Well, that and the fact that the one guy they have been nailing in the draft each year tends to out-perform your typical draft pick.

One thing does make me cringe a bit looking through their draft history though, seeing Stefan Liv in their 2000 draft class. A quick reminder of the Lokomotiv crash.

That said, what I wouldn't give for the Sabres to go out and get a player with Datsyuk or Zetterberg potential to play with Vanek. I wish I knew how Detroit did it. Luck, or very good scouting?

They might have very good scouting but Datsyuk and Zetterberg are pure luck, just like Tom Brady with the Pats. No way either player lasts till the 6th and 7th round if Detroit had any idea they would turn out even close to how they did.

Just picture that war room converstaion. "We have these two future hall of famers but lets give every other team 6 chances to pick them first."

What do Detroit and New England have in common, besides great coaching? They have a system in place that every player buys into. I'm fairly certain that they can make most players look better than they are because of the systems. Look at players who leave those systems and tell me which of them continue to play as well? So, I look at the concept of Detroit bringing in Roy and I think.. I bet they can make him better. He was a point per game player with the Sabres.. I think they would be able to get that out of him... hell they could do it with Stafford too.

Look at the lineage in Detroit and you can see how they maintain their status. Go back to Yzerman... then Lidstrom, then you pull in guys like Zetterberg and Datsyuk and you continue the roll. The question is though.. who do they have that will continue that? I'm real curious to see how they do when Lidstrom stops skating.. he's a once in a lifetime talent that anchors the entire franchise.

I think there are plenty of trade options but the question was brought up... who is Detroit getting rid of?

I think there are plenty of trade options but the question was brought up... who is Detroit getting rid of?

No one. so all your going to get is picks of them. There is no way they want Roy. Aplayer like Stafford might fit into there system, but for 4 Mil, he is not worth the chance. A bet Detroit wants Sekera. I remember last year watching Sekera go end to end and score a wicked backhand against them last year. Leopold might also be a good pick up for them.

On another note, players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg had to be no more than crab shoots when Detroit picked them. If Detroit had some great scouting staff that predicted their success, they wouldn't have waited to the fifth or sixth round. It is true Detroit developed these players, but as stated above, if they can turn late round picks into gold what happened to the last 12 years.

Miller was a round 6 pick. He worked out OK.

Goose was a seventh. Kotalik and Brian Campbell were 6th round picks.

Boom!

Again, more guys with decent careers who have ended up about where they should have after being drafted in those rounds. None of them are all-stars by any means.

Brian Campbell? Plus-7 and an assist in the All Star Game the other day, if that's who you mean.

Boom again!

Archived