Regier Looking to Deal: LeBrun

HopefulFuture

Pure speculation on my part, but I keep thinking we want to keep Stafford around so that we can take a run at Parise in the summer (best friends). Parise-Ennis-Stafford sounds good to me... I know there are a million reasons why this won't happen, but a guy can dream...

Pure speculation on my part, but I keep thinking we want to keep Stafford around so that we can take a run at Parise in the summer (best friends). Parise-Ennis-Stafford sounds good to me... I know there are a million reasons why this won't happen, but a guy can dream...

i think that same thing.

bring on parise!

If that is the case, he can't get out of my city fast enough. I have NEVER seen him play the way he has the last 2 games and if it's because he might be shipped, that's just crap. It's just too bad that he can't play like that in even 50% of the games here. He was a REAL difference maker against the Rangers and you could take away the goal and two assists and I would have said the same thing.

I hadn't noticed this during the Montreal game (and couldn't watch the Rangers game), but Lindy is attributing Goose's improved play to having him on the wing rather than at center:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article721783.ece

I'd also forgotten he used to play wing with Drury and Kotalik back in the day. It'll be interesting to see if it keeps working.

I love Max Talbot in FA, and even though you have Gaustad, both those guys could play some wing as well. A Gerbe-Gaustad-Talbot line would have the other team looking for their fly swatter if those 3 started feeding off of each other.

I hadn't noticed this during the Montreal game (and couldn't watch the Rangers game), but Lindy is attributing Goose's improved play to having him on the wing rather than at center:

http://www.buffalone...ticle721783.ece

I'd also forgotten he used to play wing with Drury and Kotalik back in the day. It'll be interesting to see if it keeps working.

If Gaustad would have kept the weight on and stuck to what he was a natural at instead of being a cog in the system, his career could have gone a bit differently.

In honor of Eleven......Lindy Loves System more than Lindy Hates Toughness

The irony of Bellicheck's genius with regard to his whealing and dealing on draft day is that he really does a terrible job drafting. The roster has 18 undrafted free agents. I still wonder how succesful he would have been had he not hit on Brady. Its been a long time since I did the research but if I remember fewer then 5 players from his first three drafts played more then a couple of seasons and his record has been even worse in recent years save for the two tight ends and Mayo.

No doubt.. but he has been able to bring in players from other teams and free agents that people think aren't much and make them quite good. The Patriots system contained Moss for the most part.. that's says a ton as it is.

If Gaustad would have kept the weight on and stuck to what he was a natural at instead of being a cog in the system, his career could have gone a bit differently.

Your ability to use the search function is truly impressive (seriously, not sarcasm). I vote you lead a quarterly training session for the new folks. (;

One can't argue that it would have been different but to imply that it would have been better is pure speculation with no real basis for fact. The only thing that is definite is that this less then perfect system took a fringe player with seemingly no NHL future and turned him into a bona fide NHL'er, warts and all.

One can't argue that it would have been different but to imply that it would have been better is pure speculation with no real basis for fact. The only thing that is definite is that this less then perfect system took a fringe player with seemingly no NHL future and turned him into a bona fide NHL'er, warts and all.

How is the part in bold any different than the "speculation" that he could have been better had he played in a different system? You can't credit Ruff's system for turning a player with "no NHL future" into an NHL'er and then say that no other system could have made him a better NHL player. It all sounds like speculation.

It's unclear what Ruff's system actually did to convert him from "no NHL future" to NHL player. If anything helped him become an NHL player, it's that he worked on his skating in juniors and the AHL. That's actually documented by people who followed his career. Maybe he was always destined to make it to the NHL, regardless of whatever system he'd play in once he got there.

How is the part in bold any different than the "speculation" that he could have been better had he played in a different system? You can't credit Ruff's system for turning a player with "no NHL future" into an NHL'er and then say that no other system could have made him a better NHL player. It all sounds like speculation.

It's unclear what Ruff's system actually did to convert him from "no NHL future" to NHL player. If anything helped him become an NHL player, it's that he worked on his skating in juniors and the AHL. That's actually documented by people who followed his career. Maybe he was always destined to make it to the NHL, regardless of whatever system he'd play in once he got there.

Just about everything here can be filed under the heading of speculation or opinion , with a few exceptions. Occasionally a poster or two will quote a few mind numbing, irrelevant statistics to support a salacious statement or a poorly constructed retort to another posters hallucination..but the vast majority of the prose here are the opinions of the authors.

Your ability to use the search function is truly impressive (seriously, not sarcasm). I vote you lead a quarterly training session for the new folks. (;

Not that impressive...I just know my opinions. If you notice, I haven't reminded anyone lately that Kalinin is a top 2 defenseman.

Search is actually hard. I don't blame people for starting new threads at times because 30 can come up in a simple search.

What makes Detroit the premier franchise in the NHL? They have a ton of talent and great leadership. It's not an either or proposition. Individual talent is important. You also need a level of accountability for that talent in a team situation.

There have been many talented players over the years that didn't amount to jack. Why? Because they didn't that inner drive to keep themselves honest. That is where accountability comes in. There are certain types of players that can keep teammates honest and force teammates to be at their best when they might otherwise fall into a rut that leads to taking the easy way out. That is what PH means when he talks about accountability. I want this team to be much more tougher. I want their "talented" players to play tougher. It doesn't have to one or the other.

Excellent post.

Man, it really is amazing how much better these guys play when they're being looked at for trades or new contracts. Goose basically the MVP tonight. Craziness.

Indeed. Right now Gaustad is the perfect end of season rental for many teams. He's a larger, shutdown forward. He's great on faceoffs, he's a penalty killer, and he gives up his body. He's now scoring clutch goals at the wing and that pretty much makes him plug and play. At the deadline there will be plenty of teams who need someone on the roster like that. He's also free at the end of the season so there are no commitments. As much as the Sabres need centers (not that he's playing there now) and as much as they need the faceoffs... he'll be available in the summer. He could come back... but what the Sabres might get for him could be good, and if there's two contenders the opportunity gets even better.

Indeed. Right now Gaustad is the perfect end of season rental for many teams. He's a larger, shutdown forward. He's great on faceoffs, he's a penalty killer, and he gives up his body. He's now scoring clutch goals at the wing and that pretty much makes him plug and play. At the deadline there will be plenty of teams who need someone on the roster like that. He's also free at the end of the season so there are no commitments. As much as the Sabres need centers (not that he's playing there now) and as much as they need the faceoffs... he'll be available in the summer. He could come back... but what the Sabres might get for him could be good, and if there's two contenders the opportunity gets even better.

That would be sweet if we traded him for whatever we can get and resigned him in the offseason...

Man, it really is amazing how much better these guys play when they're being looked at for trades or new contracts. Goose basically the MVP tonight. Craziness.

Is this anything other than rampant speculation? Last I heard he was in talks for a new contract.

Gaustad's natural position was always center. If he stuck to what he was natural at he wouldn't be in the NHL.

He had to work like hell to skate well enough to stick. That included losing body fat.

I'm no expert on the matter....but I spent a season watching him with the Winterhawks.

He's gotten the most out of the talent he has.

So my .02.

Gaustad's natural position was always center. If he stuck to what he was natural at he wouldn't be in the NHL.

He had to work like hell to skate well enough to stick. That included losing body fat.

I'm no expert on the matter....but I spent a season watching him with the Winterhawks.

So my .02.

Bang on! That's why he's a 4th line player at best on a cup winner. Give the guy credit for working and doing what he had to do to live his dream.

So my .02.

That Andreychuck was a heck of a skater....wasn't he?

We agree to disagree. If you notice how he's been on fire, it's been camping out in front of the net and leaning on his stick at wing. He was actually a PP2 threat when he first broke in by being stationary.

That Andreychuck was a heck of a skater....wasn't he?

Nor was he a physical player. All time leader in PP goals. More than Hull, more than Lemieux, more than Gretzky.

Are we really comparing him to Gaustad?.....because the Goose doesn't have a shot as an asset.

We agree to disagree. If you notice how he's been on fire, it's been camping out in front of the net and leaning on his stick at wing. He was actually a PP2 threat when he first broke in by being stationary.

I guess we do disagree. Goose's next PP goal will probably be the 10th of his career. :)

He's fulfilled his potential: Faceoffs, PK, Checking line, and fill-in on top lines and PP.

Nor was he a physical player. All time leader in PP goals. More than Hull, more than Lemieux, more than Gretzky.

Are we really comparing him to Gaustad?.....because the Goose doesn't have a shot as an asset.

I guess we do disagree. Goose's next PP goal will probably be the 10th of his career. :)

He's fulfilled his potential: Faceoffs, PK, Checking line, and fill-in on top lines and PP.

Not only has he filled in his potential, due to necessity he's been put on lines his talent has no business putting him on. I give him credit for getting everything he possibly can out of his God given gifts. It sure has made him a nice living.

Not only has he filled in his potential, due to necessity he's been put on lines his talent has no business putting him on. I give him credit for getting everything he possibly can out of his God given gifts. It sure has made him a nice living.

Don't give him credit, give Ruff credit.

Shhh. Did. I say that out loud?

Wuh? My memory of him was getting beaten on in front of the net and scoring most of his goals from his knees because he got knocked down so much. Maybe you meant he didn't hit people but that is much different from being a physical player.

I personally wouldn't mind a Goose 30 pounds heavier in front of the net.

Archived