Regier Looking to Deal: LeBrun

HopefulFuture

I think Sekera would be the guy they'd be looking at. His price tag and skating ability would fit Detroit.

That would be my guess. Detroit lost Rafalski this year, which role Sekera could fill. MAG coached up could help out there too.

As for Detroit there is no way they give up any regular player. They understand chemistry.

I would assume Detroit is scouting defensive players. Their offense works well but guys like Lidstrom are getting old. I'd imagine someone like Ehrhoff or even Myers is who they're looking at.

They may be looking at Myers but he ain't going nowhere. Darcy would have to put out info regarding who's available. I'm guessing Leopold, Boyes, and maybe a surprise like Regehr. I can't imagine much coming back for any of them.

They may be looking at Myers but he ain't going nowhere. Darcy would have to put out info regarding who's available. I'm guessing Leopold, Boyes, and maybe a surprise like Regehr. I can't imagine much coming back for any of them.

I think as others have mentioned, that Sekera might also be in play. He's having a very low key season which is okay in Detroit's book.

I could also see Boyes as a player of interest to them. He's the kinda player they like for that size role.

I think as others have mentioned, that Sekera might also be in play. He's having a very low key season which is okay in Detroit's book.

I could also see Boyes as a player of interest to them. He's the kinda player they like for that size role.

I would bet Sekera and Boyes as well with either Matt Ellis or Paul Gaustad being thrown in. Babcock is on record as saying they are looking for a "heavy" forward.

I would bet Sekera and Boyes as well with either Matt Ellis or Paul Gaustad being thrown in. Babcock is on record as saying they are looking for a "heavy" forward.

I would love to see Vanek traded to Detroit. Vanek on the wing with Datsyuk at center and move Zetterberg to right-wing? Vanek would put Kurri like numbers.

I would love to see Vanek traded to Detroit. Vanek on the wing with Datsyuk at center and move Zetterberg to right-wing? Vanek would put Kurri like numbers.

It would suck for us, but would be awesome for Detroit. I would love to see that line in action.

It would suck for us, but would be awesome for Detroit. I would love to see that line in action.

I think most would agree that Vanek is being wasted here with this roster. Vanek steps out on the ice with guys that have less than a 10th of the talent he has. I would bet Vanek would opt out of the final two years of his contract if he could be a UFA.

I think most would agree that Vanek is being wasted here with this roster. Vanek steps out on the ice with guys that have less than a 10th of the talent he has. I would bet Vanek would opt out of the final two years of his contract if he could be a UFA.

That said, what I wouldn't give for the Sabres to go out and get a player with Datsyuk or Zetterberg potential to play with Vanek. I wish I knew how Detroit did it. Luck, or very good scouting?

That said, what I wouldn't give for the Sabres to go out and get a player with Datsyuk or Zetterberg potential to play with Vanek. I wish I knew how Detroit did it. Luck, or very good scouting?

They could hire Jim Nill as GM and find out? Detroit has been good for too long for it to be luck. It's all about having good hockey people running your franchise which is the Sabres biggest weak point.

Who do you think they could get back from Detroit in that deal?

I wasn't thinking about it from a Sabre perspective. I was thinking from a Vanek and NHL perspective and how great it would be for the league. If I were running the Sabres I would be looking for a package of picks and top prospects.

I wasn't thinking about it from a Sabre perspective. I was thinking from a Vanek and NHL perspective and how great it would be for the league. If I were running the Sabres I would be looking for a package of picks and top prospects.

I'd definitely do it, it would free up sooooo much cap space, set us up for the future, and give Vanek a real shot at winning a cup, while playing with amazing players.

I always thought it would be cool to get Miller's brother, Drew. He'd be relatively cheap I assume, probably just a "throw in" piece in a slightly bigger deal. Assuming they have a good relationship, maybe it would give Ryan a sense of comfort in a way. I donno.

Side note: I watched that NHL 36 show last week, the one on Nick Lidstrom, and I was stunned to see how gray Drew Miller's hair is. I thought it was a 50-year-old player-coach in the dressing room.

If we could get a lot in return, I'd be all for it.

Both. Very good scouting plus good decision making by the FO leads to good luck in the draft.

They might have very good scouting but Datsyuk and Zetterberg are pure luck, just like Tom Brady with the Pats. No way either player lasts till the 6th and 7th round if Detroit had any idea they would turn out even close to how they did.

Just picture that war room converstaion. "We have these two future hall of famers but lets give every other team 6 chances to pick them first."

They might have very good scouting but Datsyuk and Zetterberg are pure luck, just like Tom Brady with the Pats. No way either player lasts till the 6th and 7th round if Detroit had any idea they would turn out even close to how they did.

Just picture that war room converstaion. "We have these two future hall of famers but lets give every other team 6 chances to pick them first."

I think there's something to be said for knowing how to draft in late rounds. Detroit is notoriously good at it. It may just be that their scouting department knows what to look for in players to take chances on in late rounds. There must be more than just dumb luck to it. They do too well for it to be that.

I think there's something to be said for knowing how to draft in late rounds. Detroit is notoriously good at it. It may just be that their scouting department knows what to look for in players to take chances on in late rounds. There must be more than just dumb luck to it. They do too well for it to be that.

And here we have the world in a nutshell.............

The reason Detroit or New England are able to do so well is because of Webster's attitude. They know what they are looking for....they know what the consensus is and how the average team thinks....and they plan accordingly.

New England has the most simple philosophy you can come up with for their team, yet they pull it off year after year. The Bills were just the opposite until Nix and Gailey came in here and now in just a short time they have their own little version going on.

It's all about risk and reward. The more guys you build with little risk and tons of possible reward.....over the years it just adds up. It's about identifying the personal characteristics in a type of player that make for little risk that most teams can't do.

Except for Darren Helm maybe....I can't think of a late rounder in Detroit that has worked out in the last 10 drafts. .

Except for Darren Helm maybe....I can't think of a late rounder in Detroit that has worked out in the last 10 drafts. .

It's not going to work out all of the time, but when was the last time we drafted a top line player that late?

And it's a low risk pick anyway. You'll probably end up with a serviceable player but maybe you get something special.

Archived