Stafford needs to go

Eleven

Guest Sloth

Stafford definitely could use a change of scenery.

Yep, worked for Brad Boyes.

Played 65 games for Buffalo last year. Only had 23 points and 100 shots.

Has played 31 games for the Islanders. Has 26 points and 62 shots.

That's exactly what the Blues and Sabres said of Boyes when he came here. "Change of scenery meme"

Absolutely!

Boyes had 2 really mediocre seasons with the Blues that weren't really injury maligned. But overall, if given the right talent, he can thrive as a 60 point player for 3 or 4 more years. I don't see why not.

Buffalo lacked the talent, still does.

Yep. Plus, I'm pretty sure Boyes skated with Paul Kariya and Keith Tkachuk when he had his big season with St. Louis.

Yea, which means he's capable when surrounded by talent but not capable of carrying a team. That's better than not being capable regardless of the talent around you.

Guest Sloth

John Tavares > Matt Ellis

It's amazing what skating with Tavares can do for a man's looks.

:unsure: And I'll leave it at that!

Edited by thanes16

Given the healthy scratch and two days of rest, I was hopeful a trade would have been announced today :blush:

But I think he is leaving this season so screw it I'm saying he goes to the Wings. Calling it now

Edited by WildCard

I'm at the point now where I don't think the Sabres can get anything good for him anyways, so we might as well wait until his next hot streak and then trade him. We know it'll eventually come.

Drew Stafford is the one player I am willing to lose for nothing. Pressbox for the next 16 games, then compliance buyout in the summer. I will be perfectly fine never seeing him on the ice again and getting nothing in return.

Drew Stafford is the one player I am willing to lose for nothing. Pressbox for the next 16 games, then compliance buyout in the summer. I will be perfectly fine never seeing him on the ice again and getting nothing in return.

QFT and second the motion.

I've had it.

Look, I'm no huge MAG fan, but if we're going to start threads about shedding players, let's start shedding the ones who most need to get out of blue and gold sweaters.

Honestly, I have no idea why, after ONE decent (and only decent) season, Regier saw fit to give this floater a 4M contract. He does some stupid things during most games, and that's when he bothers to do anything at all. LIke years past, he won't reach for a puck that's three feet away from him (I guess that if it's not right on his tape, it's not worth going after).

Yeah, once in a while, he'll stick up for a teammate--most notably, Drury, when Staff was still fighting for a spot with the team. But generally, there is no effort, no heart, and whatever skill he has is wasted because he simply skates around.

Connolly 2.0 (but, to my knowledge, without the drinks).

Get rid of this guy ASAP. There is a team out there that thinks that Stafford is a good player who "just needs a change of scenery." Find that team, and make a trade.

EDIT: Yes, I saw the pass to Ennis. Nice. Freaking Korab could have made that pass. For that matter, KorabRules probably could have made that pass.

Tough call for Regier...let's see, do I pick up an average player who contributes consistently or stay with a player who only seems to find the net during his contract year?

Decisions decisions... :wallbash:

I'm going to be honest.....if I'm a GM I think I can turn this kid around a bit. He has the tools, I've seen him drive to the net with semi regularity when he feels like it, and I've seen him stick up for teammates in crucial situations...although irregular, more than most on the Sabres.

You put him on a team with plenty of leaders and he gets caught up in the feeling of being on a "real" team again......he is not worthless by far.

His contract is nasty at this point, but if you want a guy capable of being a 2/3 winger with just enough skill and just enough presence.....he is worth a gamble. He is a product of Lindy in this toxic mold of a team culture, and 1 Steve Ott wasn't enough to get him regular. Put him on a team with 4 or 5 real leaders and consistant work ethic, and he is a 20 goal guy who won't embarass himself defensively.

That's what I'm thinking if I'm a GM.

I'm going to be honest.....if I'm a GM I think I can turn this kid around a bit. He has the tools, I've seen him drive to the net with semi regularity when he feels like it, and I've seen him stick up for teammates in crucial situations...although irregular, more than most on the Sabres.

You put him on a team with plenty of leaders and he gets caught up in the feeling of being on a "real" team again......he is not worthless by far.

His contract is nasty at this point, but if you want a guy capable of being a 2/3 winger with just enough skill and just enough presence.....he is worth a gamble. He is a product of Lindy in this toxic mold of a team culture, and 1 Steve Ott wasn't enough to get him regular. Put him on a team with 4 or 5 real leaders and consistant work ethic, and he is a 20 goal guy who won't embarass himself defensively.

I think that's exactly the type of thought process some GM will have. The only question is what they're willing to give to take that flyer, and whether Regier will accept it or insist on a price worthy of a 30 goal scorer, which he's not going to sniff.

Yep. This is how I see it as well. I have never had the hate for Stafford that others here have. Is it because of his contract? That's on Darcy, not Drew. Unlike others, I did miss his presence against Montreal and think we would have been better with him.

It's not because of his contract; it's because he's unwilling to take an extra stride or even reach his stick out for a moving puck. If it's not in between his skates or on his stick, forget it. It's not his job to go get it.

It's not because of his contract; it's because he's unwilling to take an extra stride or even reach his stick out for a moving puck. If it's not in between his skates or on his stick, forget it. It's not his job to go get it.

"We have other guys for that."

Stafford's got skill. He's got size and uses his positioning very well. Let's hope this benching wakes him up gets him to reach for those pucks. With all the one goal games we've had this year, he wouldn't even have to wake up very much for us to be higher in the standings.