Stafford needs to go

Eleven

How old is Jagr? He couldn't do it with V last year, and he is the end-all-be all on this team. For all the Roy haters that BD spawned on the radio, the change has been good for him. Despite his stand-up comments, where do you think Ott would rather be?

I think Ott would rather be here. Last place is last place, and Buffalo > Dallas. Especially for a Canadian hockey player.

Here, let me google that for you...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...s jaromir jagr?

So old and washed up compared to V?

Who is BD?

Local radio host who hated on Roy for years: The Bull Dog!

I think Ott would rather be here. Last place is last place, and Buffalo > Dallas. Especially for a Canadian hockey player.

So two last place teams made an irrelevant trade, as far as winning was concerned.

How old is Jagr? He couldn't do it with V last year, and he is the end-all-be all on this team. For all the Roy haters that BD spawned on the radio, the change has been good for him. Despite his stand-up comments, where do you think Ott would rather be?

Either way, Roy had to be moved, good for him that he is excelling with the change of scenery. The biggest issue wasn't moving Roy, its not making other moves to replace what he did produce here cause he wasn't a horrible player, he put up numbers, just his play was wearing thin here

Well, unless they calculate last place differntly in the West, Dallas are currently the last place PLAYOFF team, currently sitting in 8th, while Buffalo is barely hanging on above Last place in the entire Eastern conference (and only 2 points ahead of Columbus, the last place team in the entire league, while they played more games then anyone below them)

Unless Ott was from teh Niagara/Toronto area, I don't think it matters much that Buffalo is closer geographically to Canada then Dallas........

So two last place teams made an irrelevant trade, as far as winning was concerned.

How do you draw that conclusion from what I wrote?

Either way, Roy had to be moved, good for him that he is excelling with the change of scenery. The biggest issue wasn't moving Roy, its not making other moves to replace what he did produce here cause he wasn't a horrible player, he put up numbers, just his play was wearing thin here

Well, unless they calculate last place differntly in the West, Dallas are currently the last place PLAYOFF team, currently sitting in 8th, while Buffalo is barely hanging on above Last place in the entire Eastern conference (and only 2 points ahead of Columbus, the last place team in the entire league, while they played more games then anyone below them)

Unless Ott was from teh Niagara/Toronto area, I don't think it matters much that Buffalo is closer geographically to Canada then Dallas........

Serves me right for looking at division standings.

I can't argue anything you said and I agree completely.

Still, all that addition by subtraction stuff that our local radio station (WGR) spouted on a daily basis, was typical media BS. The team isn't well built. They made Roy the whipping boy, as is often the case when they need a theme for their show, and they were wrong.

For two weeks last year, those clowns told us how Luke Adams was the young center the Ducks would take in a package for Getzlaf.........

.........Humph? I take what they say with a grain of salt. Still, I converse with people on a daily basis who take their word as gospel. It is frustrating.

How do you draw that conclusion from what I wrote?

Sorry Eleven, that wasn't fair on my part. Edited by Grumpy

Sorry Eleven, that wasn't fair on my part.

No worries; I was wondering if I'm slipping. It's been a long day!

Also, as the title of this thread might suggest, I have long wondered why anyone would be more concerned with getting Roy out of town than Stafford. Sure, we all think Roy was a problem in the dressing room, mostly because of the radio, but we don't really know. What we do really know is that he was good for almost a point per game and didn't float. I don't hate that he's gone, but the team really misses the production. And Stafford remains.

Edited by Eleven

Still, all that addition by subtraction stuff that our local radio station (WGR) spouted on a daily basis, was typical media BS. The team isn't well built. They made Roy the whipping boy, as is often the case when they need a theme for their show, and they were wrong.

For two weeks last year, those clowns told us how Luke Adams was the young center the Ducks would take in a package for Getzlaf.........

.........Humph? I take what they say with a grain of salt. Still, I converse with people on a daily basis who take their word as gospel. It is frustrating.

I don't listen much. But I can pretty much tell you in the next five minutes somebody will be talking about why having a consistent starting goal-tender isn't really what the team needs, and somewhere there is a team that has a guy on a run for 15 games that is cheap that allows us to consider that starting goal-tending can really be found anywhere.

I don't listen much. But I can pretty much tell you in the next five minutes somebody will be talking about why having a consistent starting goal-tender isn't really what the team needs, and somewhere there is a team that has a guy on a run for 15 games that is cheap that allows us to consider that starting goal-tending can really be found anywhere.

I agree that a consistent goaltender is key. ?How are any of the young goaltenders in the Sabres system looking? My only question is if the Sabres need centers and have some depth "they trust" in the pipeline, could Miller (one of the few valuable commodities the Sabres have) be used to add a few other pieces and high draft picks?? Just asking, as it appears this team is headed nowhere fast...

I think its part of their slogan/tagline, WGR - Just more typical BS!

Roy had to go, and he was deserving of being a whipping boy the majority of the time, but the problem is that they never addressed the loss of the production he had with this team. And this has been the biggest problem with this team, its the moves like that which only end up with the team spinning its wheels because its taking away production in one area to try and add something to another. Good teams get better by upgrading weak areas and replacing lost production. It always seems to be one or the other being done around here

I agree that a consistent goaltender is key. ?How are any of the young goaltenders in the Sabres system looking? My only question is if the Sabres need centers and have some depth "they trust" in the pipeline, could Miller (one of the few valuable commodities the Sabres have) be used to add a few other pieces and high draft picks?? Just asking, as it appears this team is headed nowhere fast...

Makarov has looked good but is I would guess 2-3yrs away at least

Ullmark has looked good at times but I would say 4-5yrs away.

What Goaltenders?

Basically its Miller, Enroth, and a journeyman AHLer in Leggio in Rochester, after that I don't think theres anyone close to being NHL ready (maybe even a stretch to say theres anyone AHL ready)

Theres always a "flavour of the month/year" that fans cling onto and think we NEED to follow to make this team a winner, and its usually whatever led to the previous SC winning team. The thing about goaltenders is that every year there are a few that seem to pop up out of no where, light it up for their team and are being touted as the next big thing, then they go on to limited or short NHL careers when teh league catches on to them. Jim Carey won a Vezina for Washington IIRC and then went no where, last year Ben Bishop was supposed to be a future stud whose struggling as a backup now in Ottawa, Johan Hedberg was looking great for NJ last year when Brodeur went down. Lots of times they are backups who looked really good for a short period for their team and teams think they can transition into being a starter when at best, they are just a good backup (Biron?)

What Goaltenders?

Basically its Miller, Enroth, and a journeyman AHLer in Leggio in Rochester, after that I don't think theres anyone close to being NHL ready (maybe even a stretch to say theres anyone AHL ready)

Theres always a "flavour of the month/year" that fans cling onto and think we NEED to follow to make this team a winner, and its usually whatever led to the previous SC winning team. The thing about goaltenders is that every year there are a few that seem to pop up out of no where, light it up for their team and are being touted as the next big thing, then they go on to limited or short NHL careers when teh league catches on to them. Jim Carey won a Vezina for Washington IIRC and then went no where, last year Ben Bishop was supposed to be a future stud whose struggling as a backup now in Ottawa, Johan Hedberg was looking great for NJ last year when Brodeur went down. Lots of times they are backups who looked really good for a short period for their team and teams think they can transition into being a starter when at best, they are just a good backup (Biron?)

Hence why I was asking the Question, is/are there any goaltender(s) in the system that would make Miller tradeable. Guess the answer is a resounding no. Here is hoping they lose to Jersey tonight and keep working on getting the top draft pick. This 3 game win streak and a tie screwed with that notion...

Edited by North Buffalo

prescient

No worries; I was wondering if I'm slipping. It's been a long day!

Also, as the title of this thread might suggest, I have long wondered why anyone would be more concerned with getting Roy out of town than Stafford. Sure, we all think Roy was a problem in the dressing room, mostly because of the radio, but we don't really know. What we do really know is that he was good for almost a point per game and didn't float. I don't hate that he's gone, but the team really misses the production. And Stafford remains.

As I said the other night, we aren't far apart on the state of this team. Roy consistently brought much more than Staff and was CHEAP for what we received in return. Stafford played about 30 gms over 4 years for this waste of money, with many more physical attributes than Roy. I thought Roy was a smart signing for the $ at the time. DR just did't have the forsight to build a complete team. I'll leave LR out of it. We both know where we stand and I can respect your opinion.

Edited by Grumpy

As I said the other night, we aren't far apart on the state of this team. Roy consistently brought much more than Staff and was CHEAP for what we received in return. Stafford played about 30 gms over 4 years for this waste of money, with many more physical attributes than Roy. I thought Roy was a smart signing for the $ at the time. DR just did't have the forsight to build a complete team. I'll leave LR out of it. We both know where we stand and I can respect your opinion.

Yep. Roy brought it on the ice almost every game. Let's say 72 out of 82, because we all know that every player has off nights. I'm being conservative here.

Stafford brings it the other 10 games out of 82. I'm being generous here.

If Roy needed to go, fine. He's not a potential Hall of Famer. He's not an All-Star. He was a good, maybe even very good, player. And the Sabres got the a quality player--but not the same type of player--in return. It was a good trade.

But where the hell is the production?! That's what DR failed to return to the team.

I, too, will leave LR out of it, except to say this: Stafford is no different without Ruff than he was with him. And that's on Stafford, not Ruff, and not Rolston. And I actually had a drink with the guy (Stafford, not Darcy or Lindy) during the lockout, and I like him as a person. I really do. I just don't like him as a hockey player, especially in Buffalo.

Yep. Roy brought it on the ice almost every game. Let's say 72 out of 82, because we all know that every player has off nights. I'm being conservative here.

If Roy needed to go, fine. He's not a potential Hall of Famer. He's not an All-Star. He was a good, maybe even very good, player. And the Sabres got the a quality player--but not the same type of player--in return. It was a good trade.

But where the hell is the production?! That's what DR failed to return to the team.

I, too, will leave LR out of it, except to say this: Stafford is no different without Ruff than he was with him. And that's on Stafford, not Ruff, and not Rolston. And I actually had a drink with the guy (Stafford, not Darcy or Lindy) during the lockout, and I like him as a person. I really do. I just don't like him as a hockey player, especially in Buffalo.

Noi argument from me on this post.

The mouse potatoes should boo him off the ice.

There's definitely going to be a market for Drew Stafford. He has some useful tools and some coach out there will think he can get him and turn his fortunes around. But i just don't think these teams are willing to take a chance of him if they are in a good playoff position? I think the deal we're looking for with Stafford (if there is one to be made at the deadline) would be like a Craig Anderson type trade of few seasons ago when Ottawa traded for a goalie for the following year. An underachiever for an underachiever. Something like Stafford for Derick Brassard.

If you have to look for "motivation and drive" there is a problem. I can see Stafford out of the NHL in 3-4 years.

This off the cuff comment is starting to look like a pretty solid prediction.

If there was a poster child for the need of a change of scenery, it has to be Drew Stafford. The Sabres need to do this kid a favor and move him giving him a chance to start over.

If there was a poster child for the need of a change of scenery, it has to be Drew Stafford. The Sabres need to do this kid a favor and move him giving him a chance to start over.

Problem is maybe to you and me, he's a kid but he's supposed to be a mature player by now. What is he, 27? I don't know if Lindy retarded his game, like so many others (I wince thinking about the time where he cracked rookie Luke Adam in the head with his stick -- what other coach would do that?) but Stafford should be ramping up as a player because he's at that age. Yet he shows the same maddening inconsistency and failure to assume the role of a scorer. And it may be frustrating as h -e double hockeysticks to see him go elsewhere and thrive. But I'm betting against it because to me he's not a serious hockey player and doesn't have the inner drive to excel.

I don't think the Sabres owe him a favor.

Problem is maybe to you and me, he's a kid but he's supposed to be a mature player by now. What is he, 27? I don't know if Lindy retarded his game, like so many others (I wince thinking about the time where he cracked rookie Luke Adam in the head with his stick -- what other coach would do that?) but Stafford should be ramping up as a player because he's at that age. Yet he shows the same maddening inconsistency and failure to assume the role of a scorer. And it may be frustrating as h -e double hockeysticks to see him go elsewhere and thrive. But I'm betting against it because to me he's not a serious hockey player and doesn't have the inner drive to excel.

I will continue to point out when people make ###### up like this. And now he "cracked" Adam on the head? That's an outright lie.

Edited by Eleven