Stafford needs to go

Eleven

It was a great goal. But except for the first two weeks of the season, he's sucked completely. Again. The time was to trade him when the Sabres could have blamed the lack of effort/performance/everything on a disagreement with the coach or something; now he sucks under two coaches and is on the fourth line under Rolston.

It sucks though because as soon as we start the cat calls he actually scores. I hope Ralston doesn't think he is actually good for the team. If he scores maybe it will make him more valuable trade bait. Either way get rid of him.

haha, I laughed when he scored yesterday, thinking of this topic I had revived. Now he's up to 2 goals in his last 25 games - he's apparently on a hot streak. LOL

He's not going anywhere. Deal with it.

I fear this is the truth. He's got 2 more years after this one at $4MM per year (both actual cash and cap hit). No one is going to take a terrible contract like that for a career underachiever like him, especially with the cap going down next year. I suppose the Sabres could keep a good chunk of of the cash/cap hit, but that would kinda defeat the purpose of getting rid of him.

The Sabres have a better chance of the underachiever whisperer getting him to realize his potential than they do of getting another team to take him off their hands this year.

I fear this is the truth. He's got 2 more years after this one at $4MM per year (both actual cash and cap hit). No one is going to take a terrible contract like that for a career underachiever like him, especially with the cap going down next year. I suppose the Sabres could keep a good chunk of of the cash/cap hit, but that would kinda defeat the purpose of getting rid of him.

The Sabres have a better chance of the underachiever whisperer getting him to realize his potential than they do of getting another team to take him off their hands this year.

Oh, that's going to stick ... :w00t:

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I hate watching Stafford, but his numbers are always better than what you might think, and it's gone on too long for me to attribute to luck. This year, his plus/minus with Hodgson is appalling (minus 6 in even time 24 minutes together, nothing on the PP). If you take either player's playing time away from the other, each player's stats are much better. Anybody have any theories?

Last year Stafford's plus/minus numbers were great with Gerbe, Ennis, and Foligno. This year they tried the Stafford with Ennis and Foligno, but never really tried the Stafford/Gerbe pairing again this year. (Gerbe's historical great pairings have mostly left: Gaustad, Boyes)

If this chart doesn't render, I'll try another method

<table><tr><td>Teammate</td><td>Plus-Minus</td><td>Goals</td><td>GA</td><td>Time</td><td>PK</td><td>PP</td><td>Even</td></tr>

<tr><td>26</td><td>-2</td><td>3</td><td>2</td><td>26</td><td>1</td><td>10</td><td>14</td></tr>

<tr><td>29</td><td>0</td><td>3</td><td>0</td><td>21</td><td>1</td><td>15</td><td>4</td></tr>

<tr><td>19</td><td>-6</td><td>0</td><td>6</td><td>45</td><td>0</td><td>19</td><td>24</td></tr>

<tr><td>9</td><td>1</td><td>3</td><td>6</td><td>124</td><td>25</td><td>14</td><td>84</td></tr>

<tr><td>42</td><td>-1</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>24</td><td>0</td><td>4</td><td>19</td></tr>

<tr><td>82</td><td>-3</td><td>5</td><td>8</td><td>165</td><td>0</td><td>8</td><td>156</td></tr>

<tr><td>63</td><td>2</td><td>11</td><td>6</td><td>225</td><td>1</td><td>19</td><td>204</td></tr>

<tr><td>55</td><td>-1</td><td>2</td><td>4</td><td>50</td><td>4</td><td>0</td><td>46</td></tr>

<tr><td>32</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>5</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>5</td></tr>

<tr><td>36</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>4</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>3</td></tr>

<tr><td>25</td><td>0</td><td>2</td><td>2</td><td>41</td><td>0</td><td>5</td><td>35</td></tr>

<tr><td>8</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>4</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>4</td></tr>

<tr><td>37</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td></tr>

<tr><td>Total</td><td>-6</td><td>13</td><td>22</td><td>395</td><td>35</td><td>42</td><td>317</td></tr>

</table>

Ok, the chart didn't render, I'll try this

Teammate Plus-Minus Goals GA Time PK PP Even 26 -2 3 2 26 1 10 14 29 0 3 0 21 1 15 4 19 -6 0 6 45 0 19 24 9 1 3 6 124 25 14 84 42 -1 0 1 24 0 4 19 82 -3 5 8 165 0 8 156 63 2 11 6 225 1 19 204 55 -1 2 4 50 4 0 46 32 0 0 0 5 0 0 5 36 0 0 0 4 0 0 3 25 0 2 2 41 0 5 35 8 0 0 0 4 0 0 4 37 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 Total -6 13 22 395 35 42 317

Almost, here's another try

Teammate Plus-Minus Goals GA Time PK PP

Even

26 -2 3 2 26 1 10

29 0 3 0 21 1 15

19 -6 0 6 45 0 19

9 1 3 6 124 25 14

42 -1 0 1 24 0 4

82 -3 5 8 165 0 8

63 2 11 6 225 1 19

55 -1 2 4 50 4 0

32 0 0 0 5 0 0

36 0 0 0 4 0 0

25 0 2 2 41 0 5

8 0 0 0 4 0 0

37 0 0 0 1 0 0

Total -6 13 22 395 35 42

Screw it, the last one gets the point across

I hate watching Stafford, but his numbers are always better than what you might think, and it's gone on too long for me to attribute to luck. This year, his plus/minus with Hodgson is appalling (minus 6 in even time 24 minutes together, nothing on the PP). If you take either player's playing time away from the other, each player's stats are much better. Anybody have any theories?

Last year Stafford's plus/minus numbers were great with Gerbe, Ennis, and Foligno. This year they tried the Stafford with Ennis and Foligno, but never really tried the Stafford/Gerbe pairing again this year. (Gerbe's historical great pairings have mostly left: Gaustad, Boyes)

Numbers aside, the problem still is that he does not put effort in. The first couple of weeks of this season were different, but he's back to floating. He is Tim Connolly, but with less speed and more durability.

If this chart doesn't render, I'll try another method

Although I couldn't make heads or tails of your numbers, I'll assume that they support your point. However, here's another number: $4MM. For that much, the Sabres should have a solid top-6 winger who isn't MIA in the offensive zone for 30 games at a time.

Certainly not a good contract, but to Eleven's point, we watch and believe that he's not trying, but you look at the stats, and, for the most part, he's on the ice for Sabre's goals, and he's not on the ice for other teams' goals. I would think that anyone trying can play in the defensive zone, and am not sure why Stafford's numbers aren't a whole lot worse.

Just a disconnect I'm trying to figure out, not a defense of Stafford's floating, lack of scoring, or contract.

now is the time to trade him while he is hot

Hopefully he can catch up to the blistering offensive pace of his BFF, Derek Roy.... who's now up to a whopping 3 goals after 17 games. Roy is playing at a Leino-like pace and could finish the season with 6 or 7 goals.... they probably have to quench the ice with water after he scorches by.

Edited by Jsixspd

I hated Staffords contract when he signed it and I hate it more now. He isn't payed 4mil to be our defensive minded RW who shuts other teams down, hes paid to score goals.

That contract is another reason for Tpegs to jettison Regier.

Hopefully he can catch up to the blistering offensive pace of his BFF, Derek Roy.... who's now up to a whopping 3 goals after 17 games. Roy is playing at a Leino-like pace and could finish the season with 6 or 7 goals.... they probably have to quench the ice with water after he scorches by.

I wouldnt mind 3 goals if it came with 12 assists

How old is Jagr? He couldn't do it with V last year, and he is the end-all-be all on this team. For all the Roy haters that BD spawned on the radio, the change has been good for him. Despite his stand-up comments, where do you think Ott would rather be?

Edited by Grumpy