Stafford needs to go

Eleven

What are you, new here? The team sucks and Darcy is to blame. So he'll get blamed. A lot. For everything.

Imagine how much more they would suck if Darcy traded everybody who was good like TrueBlue wants.

I shouldn't have mentioned the FOX News thing. I'm just not a big fan of people who try to sound intelligent by relying on hindsight, and then choose whichever side fits their narrative.

Straw men are fun :rolleyes:

Oh, and I was one of the people who said Darcy should have traded Miller after his Silver/Vezina year because I knew he would be a one hit wonder. See, I can play that game too.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Imagine how much more they would suck if Darcy traded everybody who was good like TrueBlue wants.

I shouldn't have mentioned the FOX News thing. I'm just not a big fan of people who try to sound intelligent by relying on hindsight, and then choose whichever side fits their narrative.

Oh, and I was one of the people who said Darcy should have traded Miller after his Silver/Vezina year because I knew he would be a one hit wonder. See, I can play that game too.

Yes, that's exactly what I want and is entirely consistent with my posts on this forum :rolleyes:

The problem with Darcy is not that he hasn't done this or that when X player is good or bad, the problem with Darcy is faith.

In 2006 at the deadline if Darcy had traded assets like picks and prospects to bring in depth we may have won a stanley cup. He would have had to go on a leap of faith that this team was good enough and rolled the dice. He did not. We did not. That is the problem with Darcy he lacks the faith to gamble with his job and go all in.

Yes I said MAY, I didn't say we would have but we didn't and we lost. Winning a cup takes the balls to be willing to sell the future to win. Darcy lacks that, has lacked that, and will continue to lack that. We look good, even elite, and yet he still is planning for tomorrow, tomorrow.

Warrener for sure. But hadn't Biron lost his starting job to Miller? Not sure that's peak value.

I'm not sure Biron really ever had a hold on the starting job. I don't think he did. His best year was in relief of Hasek, and he kind of was a placeholder thereafter. Darcy did do well with that one; two good "peak" trades doesn't exonerate him, though.

Has he ever traded anyone at peak value? This isn't about only Stafford.

Could we rephrase peak value to, prime of career in the muddle of a contract? Darcy seems to trade very young guys (Kassian, Byron, Butler, and thr like) and outgoing contacts (Campbell, goose, etc.) But never 26-30 year olds with a few years left on thr books.

Could someone have the intern pull the data?

I'm going to be honest.....if I'm a GM I think I can turn this kid around a bit. He has the tools, I've seen him drive to the net with semi regularity when he feels like it, and I've seen him stick up for teammates in crucial situations...although irregular, more than most on the Sabres.

I just hope that it's another team and another GM that engages in this experiment of reformation. Stafford should have been shown the door along with Roy last year.

I just love the fact he is still an Assistant Captain... I mean he leads by example (nope), he is consistent (nope), he clearly is respected by his teammates (doesn't appear that way but I could be wrong), and he has a no quit attitude (lol) whats not to love about him?

I just love the fact he is still an Assistant Captain... I mean he leads by example (nope), he is consistent (nope), he clearly is respected by his teammates (doesn't appear that way but I could be wrong), and he has a no quit attitude (lol) whats not to love about him?

OMG - I forgot about that. Bad enough that PomPomstein is captain - the Sabres follow up that failure with yet another fail - a guy that's as soft as a creampuff, and about as effective - Drew Stafford - as "Alternate Captain"

"Hockey Heaven" my arse!!!!

OMG - I forgot about that. Bad enough that PomPomstein is captain - the Sabres follow up that failure with yet another fail - a guy that's as soft as a creampuff, and about as effective - Drew Stafford - as "Alternate Captain"

"Hockey Heaven" my arse!!!!

Its all Ruffs fault. ;) Didn't Lindy pick the captain and assistants instead of letting the team pick them. Why are they still wearing letters ? Let the team choose.

Just checking stats at ESPN - Tyler Myers is -6 with only 5 points for the season. Leopold is -7 with 7 points. That's with a very good/elite goalie minding the net. Shouldn't these guys be on the bus out of town seated next to Stafford at the end of the season too?

Just checking stats at ESPN - Tyler Myers is -6 with only 5 points for the season. Leopold is -7 with 7 points. That's with a very good/elite goalie minding the net. Shouldn't these guys be on the bus out of town seated next to Stafford at the end of the season too?

Leo will be gone. Myers was very much out of shape at the beginning of the season/is having a down year. Personally I wouldn't give up on a just 23yo D-man because of a bad shortened season. Stafford i'm slightly weary of - he is just so streaky

IMO, I think that this season you really need to step back and evaluate based on a number of factors, possibly the least of which is points and plus/minus. This team is so f'ed up it's hard to tell who is good and who may be but is being held back because of the teams play.

IMO, I think that this season you really need to step back and evaluate based on a number of factors, possibly the least of which is points and plus/minus. This team is so f'ed up it's hard to tell who is good and who may be but is being held back because of the teams play.

It's Hodgson's defense!

Leo will be gone. Myers was very much out of shape at the beginning of the season/is having a down year. Personally I wouldn't give up on a just 23yo D-man because of a bad shortened season. Stafford i'm slightly weary of - he is just so streaky

I'm getting sick of the "myers was out of shape" meme going on. A pro athlete, even if slacking off in full, can get back in great shape in a matter of weeks on a rebound. The Sabres of the 70's would be hungover and smoked 2 packs of Camels a day, yet they go hard for a few weeks and were fine night after night.

Something is amiss with Myers. He has to actually focus on moving his legs to get momentum going....I mean, looking down at the puck, and actually think about moving his legs.....that's how sloppy he has looked. He is thinking about everything he does out there. It's really weird. That was the risk you took by taking a physical question mark. He was one thing at 18, but now that he is 23....everything is a bit goofy. I would pull the chute on this kid and get back whatever his value is at this point. The "fatigue" thing is not a new thing for him. The guy has appendages 20% longer than the average fella......circulation will be an issue, even if everything else is peachy. I'm still not convinced everything else is peachy.

Leopold was actually a decent player in the past. I have no idea what is going on with him other than maybe he is hitting the wall, or the whole team is so dysfunctional like Chz said that nobody knows what is going on out there. I would think you can get a 3rd for him.

I'm getting sick of the "myers was out of shape" meme going on. A pro athlete, even if slacking off in full, can get back in great shape in a matter of weeks on a rebound. The Sabres of the 70's would be hungover and smoked 2 packs of Camels a day, yet they go hard for a few weeks and were fine night after night.

Something is amiss with Myers. He has to actually focus on moving his legs to get momentum going....I mean, looking down at the puck, and actually think about moving his legs.....that's how sloppy he has looked. He is thinking about everything he does out there. It's really weird. That was the risk you took by taking a physical question mark. He was one thing at 18, but now that he is 23....everything is a bit goofy. I would pull the chute on this kid and get back whatever his value is at this point. The "fatigue" thing is not a new thing for him. The guy has appendages 20% longer than the average fella......circulation will be an issue, even if everything else is peachy. I'm still not convinced everything else is peachy.

Leopold was actually a decent player in the past. I have no idea what is going on with him other than maybe he is hitting the wall, or the whole team is so dysfunctional like Chz said that nobody knows what is going on out there. I would think you can get a 3rd for him.

I'm going to take a page out of your book here, and say it's in large part because they're asking him to do things which don't come naturally. His instincts are offensive--carrying the puck up ice, joining/leading the rush, and so on. They're asking him to be a stay at home defender and primarily be concerned with his D-zone play. Let him free-wheel out there and let him be who he is, not who we hope he develops into.

Another way to look at the "out of shape" thing is every offseason since he's been here, they've asked him to bulk up and put on weight in the offseason. And each subsequent season he starts slowly and seems to pick it up later in the year once he's played off the weight. He has trouble putting weight on and keeping it there, yet when the weight is there he seems to struggle and he seems to pick up his play when the weight comes off. Maybe they're approaching his entire conditioning problem the wrong way, and he should play at his natural weight? Just a thought.