Ryan Miller denies involvement in trade rumors

spndnchz

That wasn't a bad gamble though. He got that contract right after our 2005-2006 season where he looked like a legitimate star. If he comes back the way he was, he'd be an amazing asset and bargain deal. But he didn't.

The two-year extension is the more egregious one.

We'll disagree. No team was signing Connolly until the concussion symptoms and the length of recovery were better understood. Instead, they inked Connolly as if he was completely recovered and ready to explode on the NHL scene.

We'll disagree. No team was signing Connolly until the concussion symptoms and the length of recovery were better understood. Instead, they inked Connolly as if he was completely recovered and ready to explode on the NHL scene.

Not really. That was the same summer where we signed Roy to a six year deal for $4M/year. Without the concussion, Connolly is getting a way bigger deal.

(Also without the concussion? We probably win the Cup that year. He was that good before he got knocked out.)

Digging deeper...From Jim: "let us say I have it on pretty good authority from somebody around the club that there is a disconnect between miller and the team right now, OK?"Obviously I'm not gonna ask who his source is, or take the conversation much further at all actually, but that's a little better than just speculating because of his wife living out west (though it still doesn't prove there's any substance to the rumor).Now, a "disconnect" could be a number of things.. I think a lot of posters here have, for years, questioned Miller's attitude. He seems like the quiet, all-business type that keeps to himself. Probably doesn't go out drinking with the boys or invite them over for Thanksgiving dinner. That could be considered a "disconnect." But that's the way he's always seemed to me, so whether or not something is different now is a tough question to answer.

He is definitely an "all-business type" from what I've seen in social situations. He's not a very happy-go-lucky person. He seems very intense. Nothing wrong with that. He does, however, go out to dinner with other players pretty often, and that leads me to believe that his relationships with teammates are sound, even if he's not the team jokester.

Does Miller's wife really live on the West Coast? If so, W(hy)TF did they agree to get married knowing that Buffalo is his home for at least the next 3 years.Here I thought she wouldn't let me get a good nights sleep(if you know what I mean), and that was the reason for his poor play. :lol:

I'm sure she's not filming every day, and he gets summers off. There's a way to make it work. Plenty of non-celebrity couples do it (I have a friend in Buffalo with a wife who works in Georgia and an acquaintance in Buffalo whose spouse works in Colorado), not to mention plenty of celebrity couples.

Is it? Most teams make the playoffs.I'm a little astounded by how many of our fans have already ruled out that Enroth could be our no.1 starter someday. He was a high draft pick (2nd round) and he's been great in his limited NHL time. Why can't he be a no.1 someday?

I don't see why not. I'd prefer the Sabres win one with Miller because, as I've said in other threads, there are certain players on the team who I've come to root for because they kind of define the team. But there's no reason, that I presently see, why Enroth couldn't take the Sabres just as far as could Miller.

I am going to ignore the 3+ pages of the Miller sucks and Enroth is god debate and instead discuss Miller and a trade west...

As the author of the article already states it is not likely in the least that Miller would go to 1 of the 3 California teams. To keep this short the only teams who may be seeking a goaltender of Miller's paycheck would be St. Louis, Columbus, maybe Edmonton or Minnesota... Every other team seems to have at least decent goal-tending and has other needs.

Now there is 1 California team that MIGHT consider some sort of Goalie trade and that is the abysmally bad Ducks. Hiller has been crap with only 5 wins in 20 starts. The problem is I doubt they are willing to trade us Getzlaf (the only player from their roster we would need) in exchange for Miller and then have more than 10mil tied up in goaltending. IMHO at the current point in time moving Miller would be difficult and there is not really a partner to trade with.

The eastern conference has far more teams that have Goaltending questions too. Tampa, Winnipeg, Islanders, Ottawa, Jersey, Washington could all use some improvement btw the pipes but again Miller is an expensive option both in Money and Material (players) it would take to acquire him. We may be bagging on Miller here but around the NHL he is very much respected and getting a #1 center for him would not be out of the question.

Now will Miller be traded? Probably not. His wife may live in Cali but Miller's home is in Detroit and he plays for the Buffalo so hes going to be all over the country no matter what. I just don't see any trade out their right now where the players and numbers work out to trade Miller away. (Miller can also list 8 teams he will not accept a trade too)

...We now return you to your regularly schedule argument over whether or not Miller sucks in clutch games or not, this has been a public service announcement...

Thank you for the breath of fresh air ... and sanity.

LGR 4 GM!!

Digging deeper...

From Jim: "let us say I have it on pretty good authority from somebody around the club that there is a disconnect between miller and the team right now, OK?"

Obviously I'm not gonna ask who his source is, or take the conversation much further at all actually, but that's a little better than just speculating because of his wife living out west (though it still doesn't prove there's any substance to the rumor).

Now, a "disconnect" could be a number of things.. I think a lot of posters here have, for years, questioned Miller's attitude. He seems like the quiet, all-business type that keeps to himself. Probably doesn't go out drinking with the boys or invite them over for Thanksgiving dinner. That could be considered a "disconnect." But that's the way he's always seemed to me, so whether or not something is different now is a tough question to answer.

I think you are reading way to much into his perceived attitude. Everything we see is filtered through the press. He has absolute disdain for the press - so everything we see will carry that taint.

Speaking of taints, didn't Miller go backpacking all over Europe and Brokeback Mountain with his good buddy and body guard Goose? That doesn't sound like a guy who keeps to himself or is disconnected from the boys in the room.

We don't see anything that occurs in the room, but we know he has played hockey his entire life. Anyone who has ever spent any time in a hockey locker room knows that moody all business types who keep to themselves wouldn't last 5 minutes in a peewee locker room, much less college and the pros. A little extra leeway is given for goalies since they are weird, but only a little.

My guess, if there is anything to it, is Miller may have said something he now regrets (or maybe he doesn't) in the aftermath of Lucic plowing him and no one sticking up for him. He may also be pissed at Ruff about it, especially when compared to the response when Drury was hit.

I don't see why not. I'd prefer the Sabres win one with Miller because, as I've said in other threads, there are certain players on the team who I've come to root for because they kind of define the team. But there's no reason, that I presently see, why Enroth couldn't take the Sabres just as far as could Miller.

It's about when you're trying to win. If we're trying to win now? Obviously Miller.

If we're trying to build a new core around Myers, Weber, Adam, Kassian, Foligno, McNabb, etc. with Pominville and Vanek as the main veterans, Enroth is the goalie for that team (a few years from now). The only other goalie in our system of note is Nathan Lieuwen who dropped to us last year because of concussion problems in juniors.

I like Miller a lot but he's 31 and this is his second straight season missing time due to a concussion. I'm not sure what the window is for winning a Cup with him.

It's about when you're trying to win. If we're trying to win now? Obviously Miller.

If we're trying to build a new core around Myers, Weber, Adam, Kassian, Foligno, McNabb, etc. with Pominville and Vanek as the main veterans, Enroth is the goalie for that team (a few years from now). The only other goalie in our system of note is Nathan Lieuwen who dropped to us last year because of concussion problems in juniors.

I like Miller a lot but he's 31 and this is his second straight season missing time due to a concussion. I'm not sure what the window is for winning a Cup with him.

The next two years?

Speaking of taints, didn't Miller go backpacking all over Europe and Brokeback Mountain with his good buddy and body guard Goose? That doesn't sound like a guy who keeps to himself or is disconnected from the boys in the room.

I'm not sure that's helping. If anything, it definitely reflects poorly on Gaustad. First for his non-reaction when Miller was run, and second for his "OK, let's just get this over with" sorta-fight with Lucic last Wednesday. And he's Miller's best friend on the team??

Forget about hockey for a second. If these guys are tight, wouldn't they defend each other on the ice just because you don't let your friends get their ###### kicked? (Not really a Miller point, but more about why the November 12th game was so unsettling.)

Talk from him today he's saying it's a problem with his neck, more of a disc issue. Said to be full practice on Wednesday.

Is it? Most teams make the playoffs.

I'm a little astounded by how many of our fans have already ruled out that Enroth could be our no.1 starter someday. He was a high draft pick (2nd round) and he's been great in his limited NHL time. Why can't he be a no.1 someday?

I certainly haven't ruled it out. I was simply responding to the implication that Enroth could do no worse than Miller, since the worst he could do was lead them to another 1st-round exit. There is clearly a worse outcome than that.

Speaking of taints, didn't Miller go backpacking all over Europe and Brokeback Mountain with his good buddy and body guard Goose?

Nice.

He spoke after spending some time on the ice today, said he had an MRI, there was a disc issue that explained his symptoms - He says its more that than concussion - it also explained his loss of ROM in neck.

Sounds like he has a bad disc - he needs:

Dr. Reeb's spinal decompression center!

Talk from him today he's saying it's a problem with his neck, more of a disc issue. Said to be full practice on Wednesday.

That's huge. Let's hope practice goes well and he'll be good to start again in a week to 10 days or so from that point. Once again, no slight on Enroth but I'd much rather our franchise goalie come back healthy and get it back to the Saturday Night Sweeeeeeede routine!

I like Enroth and in his short time as a Sabre has shown he can be a very good backup and a competent fill-on during an injury to a #1.

I will stick with Miller as the guy who the Sabres need to count on if they want to win a Cup in the next 3 years or so. Beyond that, who knows.

PS Darcy couldn't bear to part with Connolly after the 3 year 9 million dollar abortion was done(even though every one else knew his time as a Sabre had run its course). How is he ever going to contemplate getting rid of the more successful parts of the core in Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Miller, Stafford, etc...(when the time comes).

It crossed my mind during one of my Boston-Buffalo drives this past weekend that if this team is ever going to get that legit #1 center, Pominville might now be one of the prime pieces of trade bait. We've whined about the contract for years, but it doesn't look so bad right at this moment. His value has never been as high as it is at this moment.

Is there something in the water in Buffalo that makes people have to hate the #1 goalie (Barrasso, Puppa, Dom, Miller) unless he is only marginally adequate (Biron)?

The Sabres finally have a competent pair of goalies for the 1st time since '06 (and only the 2nd time since '99) and people want to run the starter out of town. With Pegula's wallet and creative salary cap management, Miller's contract isn't keeping any studs off the roster. Miller may not be everyone's idea of the greatest person to hang out with (or maybe he is, don't know) but regardless - HE'S A FRIGGIN' GOALIE; they're supposed to be a bit touched.

I just don't get it.

I'm sure she's not filming every day, and he gets summers off. There's a way to make it work. Plenty of non-celebrity couples do it (I have a friend in Buffalo with a wife who works in Georgia and an acquaintance in Buffalo whose spouse works in Colorado), not to mention plenty of celebrity couples.

At least she's not 25 years younger than Miller and calling you at midnight on a Friday for a booty call.

Is there something in the water in Buffalo that makes people have to hate the #1 goalie (Barrasso, Puppa, Dom, Miller) unless he is only marginally adequate (Biron)?

The Sabres finally have a competent pair of goalies for the 1st time since '06 (and only the 2nd time since '99) and people want to run the starter out of town. With Pegula's wallet and creative salary cap management, Miller's contract isn't keeping any studs off the roster. Miller may not be everyone's idea of the greatest person to hang out with (or maybe he is, don't know) but regardless - HE'S A FRIGGIN' GOALIE; they're supposed to be a bit touched.

I just don't get it.

This is this thread and I'm driving TT

I just don't get it.

1. I don't think anyone "hates" Miller.

2. I don't think anyone wants to move him just for the sake of moving him. Every thread about trading him is always about what we could get in return for him and/or if Enroth could do the job in his place after this hypothetical trade. Certainly no one is demanding to trade him right now when his value is at an all-time low.

I just don't get it.

I don't have anything against Miller and I would love for him to be our starter throughout the end of his contract and possibly beyond. But my concern is that if this "rumor" (for lack of a better word) is true, that Miller in some way voiced that he "wouldn't mind" being traded, then there's a problem. Even if deep down inside he would prefer to play closer to his wife (which I'm sure a lot of players maybe would prefer to play closer to their families), to allow that to get to the media shows a definite lack of responsibility, a lack of respect to his team mates and perhaps a lack of commitment to the team in general. It's one step below physically asking for a trade. I'm probably reading too much into it (especially considering there hasn't been any indication that it's true) but the last thing we want is a situation where there is no trust between our goaltender and the coach or team mates.

1. I don't think anyone "hates" Miller.

2. I don't think anyone wants to move him just for the sake of moving him. Every thread about trading him is always about what we could get in return for him and/or if Enroth could do the job in his place after this hypothetical trade. Certainly no one is demanding to trade him right now when his value is at an all-time low.

1. You might want to check back w/ Yellowsnow on that one.

2. You might want to check back w/ Yellowsnow and a few others in this thread (and what seemed like a couple hundred over the summer) on that one.

And I really believe that Miller's salary is not preventing the Sabres from bringing in any players from a cap standpoint for all intents and purposes. Not with Pegula as an owner it isn't.

I would not put Miller in an untradeable category (for the right price anyone should be available) but I'd have him darn close to it at this time. This team could truly be a couple of players away from being a real contender (granted the 2 guys would have to be very high end). While Enroth MIGHT end up ready to be a #1, I don't see him there yet and his size makes me nervous that teams will figure him out sooner rather than later. I absolutely hope I'm wrong on the last point, and his reflexes might be sharp enough that he can overcome being a midget by NHL standards. If Enroth will be true #1 material, it'll show in 2-3 years, which is right about the time the team will have a decision to make on which goalie they'll want to keep as the #1 moving forward.

I absolutely don't want to see the goalie tandem on a regular basis in '11-'12 be Enroth-McIntyre. Though Miller hasn't been stellar through much of this season (and was downright bad just before being hurt), I am fine with Miller-Enroth for now.

I don't have anything against Miller and I would love for him to be our starter throughout the end of his contract and possibly beyond. But my concern is that if this "rumor" (for lack of a better word) is true, that Miller in some way voiced that he "wouldn't mind" being traded, then there's a problem. Even if deep down inside he would prefer to play closer to his wife (which I'm sure a lot of players maybe would prefer to play closer to their families), to allow that to get to the media shows a definite lack of responsibility, a lack of respect to his team mates and perhaps a lack of commitment to the team in general. It's one step below physically asking for a trade. I'm probably reading too much into it (especially considering there hasn't been any indication that it's true) but the last thing we want is a situation where there is no trust between our goaltender and the coach or team mates.

We have a winner. ;)

IF there is something to the story, I'll get upset about it when it actually becomes a story. Right now, we're not ever sure that the guy from Edmonton has the concussion portion of the story correct, much less the part about Miller wanting out.

Archived