Ryan Miller denies involvement in trade rumors

spndnchz

Or something to that effect...

Jim Matheson, Edmonton Journal

— We keep hearing that Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller is out with a concussion and wouldn’t mind if the Sabres traded him. His wife is a California-based actress, but the Los Angeles Kings have Jonathan Quick between the pipes. The Anaheim Ducks have Jonas Hiller as their starter and the San Jose Sharks seem happy with Antti Niemi in net. Buffalo needs a high-end centre, but they have holes elsewhere, too. I don’t see a market in California for Miller, whose game has dropped off after his 2010 Olympics heroics in Vancouver.

Jim's the same guy who first started the talk of TPegs coming to B-lo so I figured I'd post this.

Miller has a MNTC and isn't worth much right now IMO.

Jim's the same guy who first started the talk of TPegs coming to B-lo so I figured I'd post this.

He definitely isn't worth much as long as he's out with concussion symptoms :nana: , but I don't think his perceived "poor" start to this season would effect his overall value much. As long as he's healthy, his trade value is on par with what you would expect for a Top 10 goalie in the league.

Interesting though, as this Jim character "keeps hearing" how Miller wouldn't mind being traded, yet this is the first I (and I'm assuming most of you) have heard about it.

that's really interesting. i guess i always kind of thought of him as a franchise goalie, ya know? hearing that he wouldn't mind being traded, even though it's built into his contract as NTC ... i dunno. yah, he's a great goalie, and i'd hate for him to get traded--especially in the eastern conference--but just because he's been down since the olympics and is out with a concussion? is that where all this talk of trading is coming from?

part of me hopes like hell it doesn't happen. the other part of me is extremely curious to see what we would get back in return.

I sure hope the high end centre we get in return can stop the puck like a top 3 goalie when he's on his game. After # 99 was traded we all know anyone is tradable but until I hear it from the horses mouth I'm not sure I can seriously believe what this reporter says. Anyone can throw this stuff out there.

As long as he's healthy, his trade value is on par with what you would expect for a Top 10 goalie in the league.

So exactly what is the value of a top ten goalie? Patrick Roy (best of all time?) was traded for Martin Rucinsky, Anrde Kovalenko and Jocelyn Thibault. So basically one of the best goalies ever was traded for a 25 goal scorer, a journeyman forward and a young prospect in net.

So exactly what is the value of a top ten goalie? Patrick Roy (best of all time?) was traded for Martin Rucinsky, Anrde Kovalenko and Jocelyn Thibault. So basically one of the best goalies ever was traded for a 25 goal scorer, a journeyman forward and a young prospect in net.

Probably not that high, since there are only a handful of teams who really need a starting goalie. I just thought that chz's post implied his value would be lower than usual because of his play this season, which really hasn't been that bad besides two or three games.

But I don't want to speculate on what we could get for Miller. In a perfect world we'd get a #1 center back, but I doubt that will be the case because, again, there aren't many teams that really need a goalie that bad. Tampa Bay, Columbus, St. Louis, Phoenix, Winnipeg come to mind.. but Tampa isn't gonna trade Stamkos for Miller, I doubt if the Jackets would trade Nash for Miller after just acquiring Carter to help Nash's game, St. Louis has a couple nice pieces but already have two middle-of-the-pack goalies signed and really don't have the blockbuster-value player to give back... same w/ Phoenix unless they wanna give up Doan and Yandle :thumbsup: . Miller for Bfyuguflein and Ladd or Little maybe? I donno.

Probably not that high, since there are only a handful of teams who really need a starting goalie. I just thought that chz's post implied his value would be lower than usual because of his play this season, which really hasn't been that bad besides two or three games.

But I don't want to speculate on what we could get for Miller. In a perfect world we'd get a #1 center back, but I doubt that will be the case because, again, there aren't many teams that really need a goalie that bad. Tampa Bay, Columbus, St. Louis, Phoenix, Winnipeg come to mind.. but Tampa isn't gonna trade Stamkos for Miller, I doubt if the Jackets would trade Nash for Miller after just acquiring Carter to help Nash's game, St. Louis has a couple nice pieces but already have two middle-of-the-pack goalies signed and really don't have the blockbuster-value player to give back... same w/ Phoenix unless they wanna give up Doan and Yandle :thumbsup: . Miller for Bfyuguflein and Ladd or Little maybe? I donno.

Beat me to it. Phoenix isn't that far of a drive/flight to LA. As for Winnipeg or STL, I think that's defeating the purpose of getting him out to the Far West.

I wouldnt mind seing him traded either..Its hard to work when your better half is all the way across the country...Keep the family together the worker works better

Beat me to it. Phoenix isn't that far of a drive/flight to LA. As for Winnipeg or STL, I think that's defeating the purpose of getting him out to the Far West.

Um... who cares? Why in the world would getting him out to the far west to be with his wife be the purpose for trading him? Sorry, but there is no "purpose" to defeat. The "purpose" would be to get the best return we can for him. If we trade Miller, it's to improve the team, not to improve his own personal living situation. As far as I'm concerned, if he really said something to the effect of not caring if he was traded (which I still have yet to see any proof, so this is all theoretical anyway) then he is done in Buffalo. He can either accept a trade to WHEREVER we can get a nice return, or he can sit the bench if he won't waive the NTC. Again, IF he really said something like that, then it's safe to say he has lost trust in his team mates and probably vice versa.

I wouldnt mind seing him traded either..Its hard to work when your better half is all the way across the country...Keep the family together the worker works better

Even if he were traded to the Kings or Ducks, he'd still be on the road for half of the season. If this rumor is true, that's all you need to know about Ryan Miller's commitment to his game. You don't win Stanley Cups with guys who are more concerned with ###### than with achieving greatness in their profession.

Um... who cares? Why in the world would getting him out to the far west to be with his wife be the purpose for trading him? Sorry, but there is no "purpose" to defeat. The "purpose" would be to get the best return we can for him. If we trade Miller, it's to improve the team, not to improve his own personal living situation. As far as I'm concerned, if he really said something to the effect of not caring if he was traded (which I still have yet to see any proof, so this is all theoretical anyway) then he is done in Buffalo. He can either accept a trade to WHEREVER we can get a nice return, or he can sit the bench if he won't waive the NTC. Again, IF he really said something like that, then it's safe to say he has lost trust in his team mates and probably vice versa.

If that's true, then things really don't bode well for him here.

I e-mailed the author earlier asking if he could clarify what he meant by that a little bit, but I've yet to get a response. I imagine, though, that if Miller had actually said something like that, we would have heard about it from a more reliable source. I mean, why would Miller be talking to some guy up in Edmonton about not caring if he's traded?

I e-mailed the author earlier asking if he could clarify what he meant by that a little bit, but I've yet to get a response. I imagine, though, that if Miller had actually said something like that, we would have heard about it from a more reliable source. I mean, why would Miller be talking to some guy up in Edmonton about not caring if he's traded?

The author says he "keeps hearing" that Miller is unhappy in Buffalo, so presumably he's hearing that from people who aren't Miller but *are* close to the situation.

I'm not sure why anyone doesn't think this is possible. Aside from the stuff about Miller's wife wanting to be close to LA (which has always been speculation), I never get the impression that Miller is all that happy here. He doesn't seem all that happy period. I know most of his recent quotes have been about Lucic and his latest concussion, but the fans have definitely been hard on him too over the last few years. I could see him wanting a change of scenery.

The author says he "keeps hearing" that Miller is unhappy in Buffalo, so presumably he's hearing that from people who aren't Miller but *are* close to the situation.

I'm not sure why anyone doesn't think this is possible. Aside from the stuff about Miller's wife wanting to be close to LA (which has always been speculation), I never get the impression that Miller is all that happy here. He doesn't seem all that happy period. I know most of his recent quotes have been about Lucic and his latest concussion, but the fans have definitely been hard on him too over the last few years. I could see him wanting a change of scenery.

Hate to say it but I think your right and he may welcome a change of scenery. Definetly don't want to see this happen though because for one I don't know we would get a ton of talent back in a trade and for two, I don't think Enorth is ready for full time duty anytime soon.

Hate to say it but I think your right and he may welcome a change of scenery. Definetly don't want to see this happen though because for one I don't know we would get a ton of talent back in a trade and for two, I don't think Enorth is ready for full time duty anytime soon.

This. My main concern with this is that we'd be trading him with his value at an all time low.

I made the point last year (before I'd even seen Enroth play) that Miller might be on the down side of his career by the time young talent like Kassian, Adam, Foligno, Myers, Weber, McNabb, etc. start to hit the primes of their careers. I hope the Sabres factor that in when trying to figure out their timetable for winning the Cup in the next few years. If we can't get the team good enough to win with Miller by Summer 2014, they should think about trading him for someone who can help us when we're trying to win it all with Enroth (assuming he's the guy we pick to take over when Miller is gone).

Archived