Ryan Miller denies involvement in trade rumors

spndnchz

Stafford and Ryan are pretty similar players - Ryan has better production, so would need a sweetener off the roster to clear cap space for Buffalo - it would be an old time hockey trade - trading for the sake of a trade, hoping the change in scenery cures what ailed them. And pray the devil the you don't know is better than the devil you do.

Agreed. I'd hate to land him only to have him really suffer here, it would be bad all the way around, PR wise and more.

EDIT: and agree on the cap situation and sweetener, I'm thinking Sekera, could be off though.

Besides, if rumors that his wife will be making the switch to Bollywood soon are true, then we should be looking to trade Miller to Bombay.. maybe get a couple of cricket players and a choreography team for the new Sabres Ice Girls in return

I happened to run into a Bollywood film being shot at Grand Central Station in NYC a couple years ago. Miller to Rangers for Dubinsky and Biron, you heard it here first.

@Hockey Break

Not so sure that Ryan will play the Ducks next game (tomorrow) against the Montreal Canadiens...

Here is Spector's take on the Bobby Ryan rumors.

Any deal with the Ducks if they were shopping Ryan couldn’t involve them taking on deals longer than Ryan’s, or more expensive, because they reportedly are stretched to the limit with their budget.

Ryan is making $5.1M for the next 3 seasons. I suppose Stafford and a young D-man fits money-wise if not length of term-wise.

Right now Capgeek lists the Sabres as having $0 cap space and $2.371M in LTIR money.

Here is Spector's take on the Bobby Ryan rumors.

Ryan is making $5.1M for the next 3 seasons. I suppose Stafford and a young D-man fits money-wise if not length of term-wise.

Right now Capgeek lists the Sabres as having $0 cap space and $2.371M in LTIR money.

Ryan and Hiller for Stafford, Miller and a young blue-liner?

Stafford and Ryan are pretty similar players - Ryan has better production, so would need a sweetener off the roster to clear cap space for Buffalo - it would be an old time hockey trade - trading for the sake of a trade, hoping the change in scenery cures what ailed them. And pray the devil the you don't know is better than the devil you do.

That is a huge understatement. Ryan is a three time 30 goal scorer. Stafford has hit 20 goals once and 30 goals once. Ryan is also younger with more upside.

Ryan and Hiller for Stafford, Miller and a young blue-liner?

1. That's giving up too much. I know you're not overvaluing Stafford, and I'm not, either, but I think you might be undervaluing Miller. A guy who might just need a change of scenery (Stafford; cf. Briere in Phoenix) to be a great player, together with Miller (who I still think is an EXCELLENT goaltender), and still a defenseman? Too much. I'd give 'em Stafford, the young defenseman, and a draft pick--even a first-rounder. That would also work better for the Mighty Mighty Duck Tones, because...

2. Can Anaheim take on that salary given what Spector wrote (and I respect that guy)?

1. That's giving up too much. I know you're not overvaluing Stafford, and I'm not, either, but I think you might be undervaluing Miller. A guy who might just need a change of scenery (Stafford; cf. Briere in Phoenix) to be a great player, together with Miller (who I still think is an EXCELLENT goaltender), and still a defenseman? Too much. I'd give 'em Stafford, the young defenseman, and a draft pick--even a first-rounder. That would also work better for the Mighty Mighty Duck Tones, because...

2. Can Anaheim take on that salary given what Spector wrote (and I respect that guy)?

I think teams will devalue Miller because of the concussion issues. Actually I thought Buffalo would be given up too little. Any disparity between the goaltenders is far less than Ryan and Stafford.

1) Just to touch on the "Clutch game" argument which I think is crazy, people do realize that statistically speaking, 15 goalies in the playoffs will lose a clutch game if not more than 1? Only 1 goalie makes it through all the clutch games and if you go 16-0 how many of those were really clutch/must win? Miller should mathematically have more clutch game playoff losses than wins otherwise we would have 5-6 Stanley cups... I am just saying and I am not getting any more involved in this than that.

2) Bobby Ryan is a better player than Stafford IMO. To make the trade I would guess Stafford, Sekera/MAG/Other defensive prospect in AHL maybe, and a mid pick (3rd-5th) but mathematically its a difficult trade to make.

[1] Just to touch on the "Clutch game" argument which I think is crazy, people do realize that statistically speaking, 15 goalies in the playoffs will lose a clutch game if not more than 1? Only 1 goalie makes it through all the clutch games and if you go 16-0 how many of those were really clutch/must win? Miller should mathematically have more clutch game playoff losses than wins otherwise we would have 5-6 Stanley cups... I am just saying and I am not getting any more involved in this than that.

[2]Bobby Ryan is a better player than Stafford IMO. To make the trade I would guess Stafford, Sekera/MAG/Other defensive prospect in AHL maybe, and a mid pick (3rd-5th) but mathematically its a difficult trade to make.

1. Stop making sense. You're gonna kill the talking heads. And then, The Talking Heads will sue me for using "Stop Making Sense." It's a disaster waiting to happen, and only you can prevent it, young Liger.

2. Of course Ryan is better; that's not the only part of this. If Anaheim truly wants to shed salary and worry about the future rather than the present. I'd give Staff, any of those D-men (but the Mighty Mighty Boss Ducks won't want Sekera's salary), and a first, in an instant, and if Spector is right, Anaheim just might take it. If I were a GM, I wouldn't be afraid to include a first in a trade for a proven talent, unless I expected to have a top-5 pick that year. I don't expect that the Sabres will have a top-5 pick.

1. Stop making sense. You're gonna kill the talking heads. And then, The Talking Heads will sue me for using "Stop Making Sense." It's a disaster waiting to happen, and only you can prevent it, young Liger.

2. Of course Ryan is better; that's not the only part of this. If Anaheim truly wants to shed salary and worry about the future rather than the present. I'd give Staff, any of those D-men (but the Mighty Mighty Boss Ducks won't want Sekera's salary), and a first, in an instant, and if Spector is right, Anaheim just might take it. If I were a GM, I wouldn't be afraid to include a first in a trade for a proven talent, unless I expected to have a top-5 pick that year. I don't expect that the Sabres will have a top-5 pick.

Interesting but I wouldn't sacrifice a 1st - even if it's not in the top 5. The draft next year is said to be very deep, so I'd keep that 1st pick. Maybe a 2nd?

Nice job Jack.....you got published in Edmonton.

Korab wasn't joking.

Miller clarification

Hahaha, score one for me!

The part I don't get: " but would you really be adverse to Miller for L.A. Kings goalie Jonathan Quick if you were a Buffalo fan?"

Yes, yes I would be. If I trade Miller, I probably don't want a goaltender back in the deal at all. Just a good forward. Maybe take Bernier or a back-up as part of the return, but that would make little sense for LA to have two #1 caliber goalies. Definitely wouldn't do a straight up goalie for goalie 1-for-1 deal.

1) Just to touch on the "Clutch game" argument which I think is crazy, people do realize that statistically speaking, 15 goalies in the playoffs will lose a clutch game if not more than 1? Only 1 goalie makes it through all the clutch games and if you go 16-0 how many of those were really clutch/must win? Miller should mathematically have more clutch game playoff losses than wins otherwise we would have 5-6 Stanley cups... I am just saying and I am not getting any more involved in this than that.

I've been thinking about this whole clutch thing of late, as well. Every time we talk a bout clutch, Drury is mentioned. Yet the only reason that goal against the Rangers in game 5 meant anything is because it was 1 to nothing. Miller let in 1 goal, yet we think of Drury as the reason we won that game. Where was Mr Clutch he the other 59m52.3s of the game?

Just sayin'.

From Pierre LeBrun, who says he talked to Miller (link)

Miller clears the air

Ryan Miller doesn't want out of Buffalo.

A weekend note in the Edmonton Journal by respected hockey columnist Jim Matheson caused a stir with some fans in Buffalo, with the veteran writer saying he kept hearing that Miller wouldn't mind if the Sabres traded him.

Some Sabres fans reached out to me via Twitter asking me what I knew. Well, I put the question right to Miller himself whether it was accurate that he may want a change of scenery.

"That is not true at all, and I have never made any comment concerning my status with the team," Miller told ESPN.com via text message Tuesday. "I am proud of being a Sabre for all we have accomplished, and I am excited about the new chapter Terry and Kim Pegula have inspired. I am working hard to get healthy and build my game back to where I want it so I can start to contribute to an effort to build a championship team."

From Pierre LeBrun, who says he talked to Miller (link)

Thanks for that post.

Good to see, as it gives me a little reassurance on the situation. I mean, I guess you could look at it either way -- you could say he's cleared the air, or you could say "well of course he'd say that." But given how little substance there was to this rumor to begin with, I can now sleep at night knowing Miller will more than likely be a Sabre for a while. :nana:

i miss blogging.

this from harrington on sabres edge.

A paragraph deep in a long Edmonton Journal piece by Hall of Fame writer Jim Matheson on Sunday said Miller "wouldn't mind" a trade, and it's known the Sabres and Anaheim Ducks are talking about multiple scenarios. The Ducks had three scouts on hand Tuesday night, including GM Bob Murray, and it's believed Miller's name has come up.

Miller, who has two years left after this season on a deal that pays $6.25 million annually, has a limited no-trade clause in his contract where he can submit a list of eight teams he would not accept a trade to.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/11/miller-feeling-better.html

other than wondering why the funk the miller wouldn't mind thread got closed when it was based on an article by a HoF journalist (i just learned of the guy's credentials), my question is about the LNTC. when does miller get to submit that list? does he submit it when the contract is signed? does he get to change the list once a year? or is the timing such that he gets to submit his list once the team decides they want to move him -- i.e., a rumor like this could effectively allow him to block the trade?

p.s. that bolded part is harrington's statement, not matheson's.

EDIT: wow, i was tweaking my post when the topic was merged. thanks, admin.

this from harrington on sabres edge.

A paragraph deep in a long Edmonton Journal piece by Hall of Fame writer Jim Matheson on Sunday said Miller "wouldn't mind" a trade, and it's known the Sabres and Anaheim Ducks are talking about multiple scenarios. The Ducks had three scouts on hand Tuesday night, including GM Bob Murray, and it's believed Miller's name has come up.

Miller, who has two years left after this season on a deal that pays $6.25 million annually, has a limited no-trade clause in his contract where he can submit a list of eight teams he would not accept a trade to.

http://blogs.buffalo...ing-better.html

other than wondering why the funk the miller wouldn't mind thread got closed when it was based on an article by a HoF journalist (i just learned of the guy's credentials), my question is about the LNTC. when does miller get to submit that list? does he submit it when the contract is signed? does he get to change the list once a year? or is the timing such that he gets to submit his list once the team decides they want to move him -- i.e., a rumor like this could effectively allow him to block the trade?

Thread was closed because it got put to rest.

Most are submitted before a certain date, others when asked. Hard to tell without talking to the agent/GM.

Millsie's back:

Miller after practice today:

"I think it's funny when you hear things like 'wouldn't mind,' That implies somebody's asked me and I've never made a comment about my status with the team. My comment about my status with the team now is I'm proud to be a Sabre, I'm excited for what we can accomplish moving forward and I want to be a part of it. There's no reason for me to want to leave the situation. We have great new ownership who's excited to put a winner on the ice and I want to be a part of it. For me to want to change that situation and get out, I think the grass doesn't get much greener than it is here."

"I've never in my time here talked to Lindy, Darcy or ownership about a trade and they've never come to me asking for any options. I can understand why there's speculation. I went through a tough stretch of hockey and didn't have a chance to dig myself out yet because of the injury. I know I need to be better and I'm working on that. For me to say I don't want to be here just because of that? I have a long history here. I feel like I've grown up here and this is where I want to win. The fans love hockey. I've worked hard as a player and I've worked hard to be part of the community. I feel part of things here. Why would I want to leave that?"

Thread was closed because it got put to rest.
NOW you can close the thread.

so our local beat reporter writes today that the ducks had 3 FO guys at last night's game and that it's believed miller's name has come up between the 2 franchises, and there are rumors swirling that the ducks are looking to move bobby ryan, and the thread should be closed.

:blink:

i say keep it open. any rush to close this thread reflects a desire to needlessly impose an editorial opinion on what is and isn't an active, worthy topic of conversation. maybe nothing comes of this, but it would appear that this hasn't played itself out.

Archived