Ryan Miller denies involvement in trade rumors

spndnchz

Ah, but I do blame the players around him as well.

But then again, I am not advocating keeping a player because of past failures, I am advocating jettisoning a player in an effort to better the over all team. There in I believe lay the difference here.

And who in your mind is a better goaltender than Ryan Miller that can be acquired right now? If such a person is availble do you think they will put up better numbers than Miller did behind the Sabres defense... FYI ... TIM THOMAS"S numbers would drop dramatically if he had to sit behind the Sabres defense that played in the first 25 games.

Or he didn't want to reveal what his sources were really telling him, or who those sources were?

Did you tell him you were a fellow journalist, so it wouldn't be breaching any confidentiality to share it with you?

I don't think much of the "story", but I think the writer's response to you does nothing to enhance or discredit the "story".

Well, I don't consider myself a journalist, so I didn't mention that. But I didn't ask for specific sources, I just asked if he had actually heard something -- and he ignored my question completely and comes back with what, in my opinion, is kind of a douchey response.

Yes, we know his wife lives in LA, you said that in the article I'm e-mailing you about. You know how many pro athletes play in cities far away from their wives and family? That's part of being an athlete. Part of making millions of dollars to play a game. That alone says absolutely nothing about Miller wanting out of Buffalo.

Well, I don't consider myself a journalist, so I didn't mention that. But I didn't ask for specific sources, I just asked if he had actually heard something -- and he ignored my question completely and comes back with what, in my opinion, is kind of a douchey response.

Yes, we know his wife lives in LA, you said that in the article I'm e-mailing you about. You know how many pro athletes play in cities far away from their wives and family? That's part of being an athlete. Part of making millions of dollars to play a game.

As far as I can tell, all reporters are douches. I'm not giving this story the time of day until there is some corroboration. If he was indeed the first to report on Pegula, though, I will keep an ear open and not dismiss it out of hand.

And the journalist thing was a joke.

You can cuss all you'd like to, it does not change the historical outcome with Miller in must win games.

Miller could not acheive success in the Boston series and did not do so in the Philly series and anything pointing to the contrary is just fodder for the cannon. Success would be moving on to round 2, he failed to carry his team, it really is that simple.

You don't think we could acheive the same results with Enroth? I believe we could, but I also believe we should give the kid a shot at it, as stated, over and over and over again, like beating the dead horse we all know it to be, without Drury and Briere, Miller's numbers would most certainly be quite different come playoff stats.

Once again, futility, keep pointing out it's definition.

No I don't. I think Enroth is an excellent backup tender. One we've needed for years mind you. So why push Miller out the door and hope that this kid can achieve anything? Not to mention a very good point someone else brought up, who exactly would be our backup?

And who in your mind is a better goaltender than Ryan Miller that can be acquired right now? If such a person is availble do you think they will put up better numbers than Miller did behind the Sabres defense... FYI ... TIM THOMAS"S numbers would drop dramatically if he had to sit behind the Sabres defense that played in the first 25 games.

I don't want to acquire another top tier goalie, I believe we have our future netminder here right now, Jhonas Enroth.

And not because I am a huge fan either, he has his shortcomings as well, i.e. five hole. But more importantly, Miller would be worth more net wise in a trade as opposed to Enroth. Plus, Enroth is much cheaper than Miller contract wise.

I see nothing but a win/win when thinking of moving Miller in a trade.

No I don't. I think Enroth is an excellent backup tender. One we've needed for years mind you. So why push Miller out the door and hope that this kid can achieve anything? Not to mention a very good point someone else brought up, who exactly would be our backup?

You don't believe Enroth can lose a 1st round series?

The historical outcome in must win games for miller is 7-5 and if you include the olympics it goes to 9-6. Go out and find me 10 active goalies that have a winning record in elimination games..... I'll wait.

Haha, I don't mean to keep picking on ya....... but IMO elimination games aren't the only indicator. In some of those series he was already down 3-0 or 3-1. If he is 7-5 in elim games that means he is only one game above 500 in the rest of the game; at 18-17. His overall record is 25-22.

Well, all this debating aside, it sounds like there's nothing to this at all... here is my exchange with the writer:

Basically, sounds like he found out Miller's wife lives in LA and decided it would make for a good story with a lot views if he said Miller wanted to play out there. Lol.

Or he didn't want to reveal what his sources were really telling him, or who those sources were?

Did you tell him you were a fellow journalist, so it wouldn't be breaching any confidentiality to share it with you?

I don't think much of the "story", but I think the writer's response to you does nothing to enhance or discredit the "story".

Yes, we know his wife lives in LA, you said that in the article I'm e-mailing you about. You know how many pro athletes play in cities far away from their wives and family? That's part of being an athlete. Part of making millions of dollars to play a game. That alone says absolutely nothing about Miller wanting out of Buffalo.

I think the "reporter's" response was a bit douchey and does indeed discredit the "story". He came very close to admitting that he just made it up. Weak.

You're assuming that he's capable of getting them to the playoffs over an entire season to begin with, which is a huge assumption.

I don't want to acquire another top tier goalie, I believe we have our future netminder here right now, Jhonas Enroth.And not because I am a huge fan either, he has his shortcomings as well, i.e. five hole. But more importantly, Miller would be worth more net wise in a trade as opposed to Enroth. Plus, Enroth is much cheaper than Miller contract wise.

I see nothing but a win/win when thinking of moving Miller in a trade.

You are pulling my leg with that statement right?

I'm not sure we'd make the playoffs with him in net. I really hope he does well, I just think having the two of them going together would be the best. Gives each of them adequate rest time etc. Drew McIntyre isn't getting a sniff of action right now and with all of our back to backs and likely not getting much back in return for Miller, I don't see us making a move.

I like Enroth and in his short time as a Sabre has shown he can be a very good backup and a competent fill-on during an injury to a #1.

I will stick with Miller as the guy who the Sabres need to count on if they want to win a Cup in the next 3 years or so. Beyond that, who knows.

PS Darcy couldn't bear to part with Connolly after the 3 year 9 million dollar abortion was done(even though every one else knew his time as a Sabre had run its course). How is he ever going to contemplate getting rid of the more successful parts of the core in Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Miller, Stafford, etc...(when the time comes).

I'm not sure we'd make the playoffs with him in net. I really hope he does well, I just think having the two of them going together would be the best. Gives each of them adequate rest time etc. Drew McIntyre isn't getting a sniff of action right now and with all of our back to backs and likely not getting much back in return for Miller, I don't see us making a move.

Not that I blame you. In a perfect Sabreland World, we'd have our 1 + 2 goalie rotation and have a fantastic front 9 that would carry us far. Unfortunately, we don't.

I like Enroth and in his short time as a Sabre has shown he can be a very good backup and a competent fill-on during an injury to a #1.

I will stick with Miller as the guy who the Sabres need to count on if they want to win a Cup in the next 3 years or so. Beyond that, who knows.

PS Darcy couldn't bear to part with Connolly after the 3 year 9 million dollar abortion was done(even though every one else knew his time as a Sabre had run its course). How is he ever going to contemplate getting rid of the more successful parts of the core in Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Miller, Stafford, etc...(when the time comes).

Good question on Regier. But I believe he will do whatever his boss tells him to do. He likes the pay checks

Ok then! What has he shown to be able to get done? 0-3 last 3 playoff series, losing to scrub goalies to boot! How long must us fans wait for him to get it done? He couldn't get it done when he had superior leadership in the form of CD and DB. IMHO that was his best chance and he came out on the wrong end. I'm sick of waiting for Ryan Miller to be an elite goalie, he's 31 going on 32 next summer, has a wife in LA, and doesn't want to be here. Time to turn the page! If you can't see that then there is no hope for you.

Why don't you just say he's 31?

Why? Because I don't suck Millers asss like you do!

Please keep this garbage off the board.

Good question on Regier. But I believe he will do whatever his boss tells him to do. He likes the pay checks

When the time comes that Pegula/Black are telling your GM what hockey moves to make, the franchise is in trouble! The only solution at that point is for upper management(Black) to ######can Regier, and get a new man to run the hockey operation.

don't you mean a 2 year 9 million dollar abortion?

When the time comes that Pegula/Black are telling your GM what hockey moves to make, the franchise is in trouble! The only solution at that point is for upper management(Black) to ######can Regier, and get a new man to run the hockey operation.

So now we have speculation on the just consequences for the speculation that the GM would act according to ownership's wishes and (speculatively) without following his own mind with respect to a speculative Miller trade?

Where the hell does this stop?

Digging deeper...

From Jim: "let us say I have it on pretty good authority from somebody around the club that there is a disconnect between miller and the team right now, OK?"

Obviously I'm not gonna ask who his source is, or take the conversation much further at all actually, but that's a little better than just speculating because of his wife living out west (though it still doesn't prove there's any substance to the rumor).

Now, a "disconnect" could be a number of things.. I think a lot of posters here have, for years, questioned Miller's attitude. He seems like the quiet, all-business type that keeps to himself. Probably doesn't go out drinking with the boys or invite them over for Thanksgiving dinner. That could be considered a "disconnect." But that's the way he's always seemed to me, so whether or not something is different now is a tough question to answer.

So now we have speculation on the just consequences for the speculation that the GM would act according to ownership's wishes and (speculatively) without following his own mind with respect to a speculative Miller trade?

Where the hell does this stop?

Just responding to the post that Regier will do what his bosses tell him to. Much better than Stastny for Hecht or Boyes + any prospect not named Kassian, Ennis, Adam, McNabb, Enroth, Pysyk, Armia threads we had to read all summer long. ;)

No. I am referring to the 3/9 abortion they handed out while Connolly brains were scrambled.

That wasn't a bad gamble though. He got that contract right after our 2005-2006 season where he looked like a legitimate star. If he comes back the way he was, he'd be an amazing asset and bargain deal. But he didn't.

The two-year extension is the more egregious one.

Digging deeper...

From Jim: "let us say I have it on pretty good authority from somebody around the club that there is a disconnect between miller and the team right now, OK?"

Obviously I'm not gonna ask who his source is, or take the conversation much further at all actually, but that's a little better than just speculating because of his wife living out west (though it still doesn't prove there's any substance to the rumor).

Now, a "disconnect" could be a number of things.. I think a lot of posters here have, for years, questioned Miller's attitude. He seems like the quiet, all-business type that keeps to himself. Probably doesn't go out drinking with the boys or invite them over for Thanksgiving dinner. That could be considered a "disconnect." But that's the way he's always seemed to me, so whether or not something is different now is a tough question to answer.

Does Miller's wife really live on the West Coast? If so, W(hy)TF did they agree to get married knowing that Buffalo is his home for at least the next 3 years.

Here I thought she wouldn't let me get a good nights sleep(if you know what I mean), and that was the reason for his poor play. :lol:

I am going to ignore the 3+ pages of the Miller sucks and Enroth is god debate and instead discuss Miller and a trade west...

As the author of the article already states it is not likely in the least that Miller would go to 1 of the 3 California teams. To keep this short the only teams who may be seeking a goaltender of Miller's paycheck would be St. Louis, Columbus, maybe Edmonton or Minnesota... Every other team seems to have at least decent goal-tending and has other needs.

Now there is 1 California team that MIGHT consider some sort of Goalie trade and that is the abysmally bad Ducks. Hiller has been crap with only 5 wins in 20 starts. The problem is I doubt they are willing to trade us Getzlaf (the only player from their roster we would need) in exchange for Miller and then have more than 10mil tied up in goaltending. IMHO at the current point in time moving Miller would be difficult and there is not really a partner to trade with.

The eastern conference has far more teams that have Goaltending questions too. Tampa, Winnipeg, Islanders, Ottawa, Jersey, Washington could all use some improvement btw the pipes but again Miller is an expensive option both in Money and Material (players) it would take to acquire him. We may be bagging on Miller here but around the NHL he is very much respected and getting a #1 center for him would not be out of the question.

Now will Miller be traded? Probably not. His wife may live in Cali but Miller's home is in Detroit and he plays for the Buffalo so hes going to be all over the country no matter what. I just don't see any trade out their right now where the players and numbers work out to trade Miller away. (Miller can also list 8 teams he will not accept a trade too)

...We now return you to your regularly schedule argument over whether or not Miller sucks in clutch games or not, this has been a public service announcement...

You're assuming that he's capable of getting them to the playoffs over an entire season to begin with, which is a huge assumption.

Is it? Most teams make the playoffs.

I'm a little astounded by how many of our fans have already ruled out that Enroth could be our no.1 starter someday. He was a high draft pick (2nd round) and he's been great in his limited NHL time. Why can't he be a no.1 someday?

Archived