Ryan Miller denies involvement in trade rumors

spndnchz

Was it Matheson or Dupont from the Boston Globe that first started that talk? People in the original Pegula thread were stating that Dupont broke the PSU/Pegula story. And it was a link to a Dupont article that started that thread. Though a Matheson link was also on the 1st page.

I saw it as Dupont....that's why I figured Pegula was a done deal right off the bat.

Speaking of Dupont, he really lit the Sabres up on Twitter after the game at Boston. Told Miller to go play in Sweeden, called Pegula "Touchy-Feely", and was really rough for a good writer.

Miller....I don't want him gone and I haven't been one to claim Enroth is his peer. If he wants to go though....package him in a deal for Kiprusoff and Iginla. You can play the same rotation with Kiprusoff getting 3-1 with Enroth...and he has been known to get hot in the playoffs. He is making $6 million for 2 more years, and you can keep evening out the balance with Enroth the next few seasons. To make room for Iginla you need to ship back $7 million. Stafford and Sekera are a good start...and I would hope Miller has a tad more value than Kiprusoff at this point.

Calgary gets younger and a Franchise Name to replace Iginla....Sabres get a true captain and a proven goalie....Miller gets to be a 2+ hour direct flight to LA....everyone is happy....except probably Darcy who would need a gun put to his head by Pegula.

I will bet Matheson's source close to the club is a Buffalo media person.

And I bet what he heard was not knowledge, but speculation based on his marriage, his injury, and his disdain for the media.

The quote smacks of Matheson overhearing somebody speculating about Miller's status, asking a buddy in the Buffalo media,

And getting "you could be right" as a response.

Voila, filler for your around the NHL column.

The source could be this board for all we know. I know I started bringing it up a while ago. I think others have speculated similarly here as well since last season.

The source could be this board for all we know. I know I started bringing it up a while ago. I think others have speculated similarly here as well since last season.

Sometimes a source doesn't even know he is a source. This could be as simple as a guy like Pominville who is dialed-in to Miller on a personal level, knowing Miller is a little off on the ice and battling in his head a bit. It's not like some Deep Throat character meets Bucky in the parking ramp going "psssst.....". Pominville or someone else can just be talking candidly about how they want to play hard for Miller to get him going, and can say something like, "It's tough on him having his wife in LA", just as an aside in the middle of a conversation. Who knows who else may say things without evil intent, but someone hears and sees enough from different angles and goes with it. Heck, you can probably get great info from the puck bunnies on certain guys. There are tons of sources out there for people with their ears pricked who can put two and two together.

Neither Roy nor Belfour were good examples here to be honest.

Roy was going due to tension with the staff, his trade was put together rather hastily.

And Belfour refused a contract extension, mitigating his worth.

Combine this with the era of hockey, the dreaded trap era and it becomes more obvious why the worth of netminders was not at it's peak.

Can you come up with examples in recent history that runs counter to my claim? I'v provided four that support it.

I saw it as Dupont....that's why I figured Pegula was a done deal right off the bat.

Speaking of Dupont, he really lit the Sabres up on Twitter after the game at Boston. Told Miller to go play in Sweeden, called Pegula "Touchy-Feely", and was really rough for a good writer.

Miller....I don't want him gone and I haven't been one to claim Enroth is his peer. If he wants to go though....package him in a deal for Kiprusoff and Iginla. You can play the same rotation with Kiprusoff getting 3-1 with Enroth...and he has been known to get hot in the playoffs. He is making $6 million for 2 more years, and you can keep evening out the balance with Enroth the next few seasons. To make room for Iginla you need to ship back $7 million. Stafford and Sekera are a good start...and I would hope Miller has a tad more value than Kiprusoff at this point.

Calgary gets younger and a Franchise Name to replace Iginla....Sabres get a true captain and a proven goalie....Miller gets to be a 2+ hour direct flight to LA....everyone is happy....except probably Darcy who would need a gun put to his head by Pegula.

I am Miller's travel agent ...

It is actually a 3 hour 8 minute flight (3 per day) from the Canadian outpost of Calgary to LAX :thumbsup:

And that's why I had the question and would still like to see Chz's response (she seems to be on top of this stuff far more than the rest); several people in this thread have stated that it was Matheson who broke the original Pegula stories and we are now on page 9 of a thread dedicated to as lightly based a rumor as you can get. If Matheson did break the original stories, it's still an extremely lightly based rumor; if he was simply 'retweeting' Dupont's Pegula stories, then this rumor starts appearing less useful than something from 'he that shall not be named's site'.

Speaking of 'he that shall not be named;' very well done on the Kiprusoff/Iginla speculation; I expect to see somebody here reporting back in the next day or 2 that this one has made that site. It's something that COULD make sense for both sides, as both get something useful for where they are currently at, so it is plausible; and it seems to be pulled out of thin air. Which pretty much covers all the points necessary to end up on that site.

You'll have to let us know if he sends you a royalty check when he plagerizes your work. My guess is, being the 'honorable' Phlyers fan that he is, you're SOL.

Link? This sounds like more "we keep hearing" BS.

@darenmillard:

Doing the oilers/predators game @RealKyper told by an nhl exec that ducks r shopping bobby ryan. Wow. 2 wins in 18.

Take this rumor as you like, but Kypreos did break the Boudreau story and was the only one who mentioned Dale Hunter as a favored replacement.

Can you come up with examples in recent history that runs counter to my claim? I'v provided four that support it.

Sure, the first name that comes to mind in the post lockout era and most recent: Semyon Varlamov

Or how about this one:

On Thursday, the Canadiens became the talk of the league by trading Halak, 25, to the St. Louis Blues for 2007 first-round pick Lars Eller, plus former third-round pick Ian Schultz.

Both of these with Goalies that haven't had the body of work that Miller has and look, they received decent returns.

I believe your heart is in the right place, but for some reason, your vision on a possible Miller trade is skewed. I can only speculate as to why and wouldn't pretend to speak such since I am not you, but in the end, Miller would be a huge, and I mean huge piece to a very, very good return.

If you had looked at my post above, kypros reported on the air during the Oilers/Preds game that Bobby Ryan is indeed being shopped, and Anaheim is awfully close to Hollywood, no? Just some speculation on my part is all, but the rumor mill has Buffalo already inquiring.......

Not that any of that matters for our discussion save one thing, a Miller package could most certainly land a player like Ryan, as long as it addressed some other needs of Anaheim, say, Stafford and a blueliner, like Weber or maybe Grags or maybe even Regher, who knows really. The point is, it's doable with Miller in the package for sure given the examples I just posted.

Miller: I am not happy with managements unwillingness to let me play through my slump. Then they compounded matters by playing the Enroth card.(They owed me more than a read it in the papers. They owed me more respect than that silly Lindy/Enroth game). The unwillingness of the team to back me up on that cheap shot was the last straw.

Time to take a break, let them stew and give them a chance to take a close look at my backup so they can come to their senses. A head injury seems like the right instrument. Time for a break.Let my ego heal a bit.

Sabres Management 1: We are really worried about Miller.It has been almost two weeks, no Miller. He is very angry. We have no idea when, or if he is coming back. He has hired his own doctor to fend off ours.

How do we get his attention and create the circunstances under which we can have a make up meeting and repair the damage we did.

Sabres Management 2: Lets plant a trade rumor in the papers? Great idea. At a minimum it restarts the dialogue, so that the things we need to say can be said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/incoming/article652307.ece

Sabres management 3: Good news. It worked . He is back. Now who does the heart to heart. I nominate Terry.

Sabres management 2: Maybe not a good idea: Terry thinks we handled the Miller situation like amatures.Lets blame Ruff.FYI Columbus called and said they were interested.

Sure, the first name that comes to mind in the post lockout era and most recent: Semyon Varlamov

Or how about this one:

On Thursday, the Canadiens became the talk of the league by trading Halak, 25, to the St. Louis Blues for 2007 first-round pick Lars Eller, plus former third-round pick Ian Schultz.

Both of these with Goalies that haven't had the body of work that Miller has and look, they received decent returns.

Do you think those trades are the kind of value that Buffalo needs to go further in the playoffs? I don't.

I believe your heart is in the right place, but for some reason, your vision on a possible Miller trade is skewed. I can only speculate as to why and wouldn't pretend to speak such since I am not you, but in the end, Miller would be a huge, and I mean huge piece to a very, very good return.

Well, it's a good thing you didn't pretend to speak for me because you have no idea what I think of Miller. Hint, he's just another asset. ;)

Could you be any more condescending? Really?

Do you think those trades are the kind of value that Buffalo needs to go further in the playoffs? I don't.

Well, it's a good thing you didn't pretend to speak for me because you have no idea what I think of Miller. Hint, he's just another asset. ;)

Could you be any more condescending? Really?

Well, we have a differing of views on what the team needs to go deep in the playoffs then.

As for my comment, it wasn't meant to be condenscending, it was meant to point out that I expressed why I view things the way I do and that I couldn't know what your thoughts were, and merely enjoyed the conversation, once again, didn't mean to come across any other way.

Well, we have a differing of views on what the team needs to go deep in the playoffs then.

As for my comment, it wasn't meant to be condenscending, it was meant to point out that I expressed why I view things the way I do and that I couldn't know what your thoughts were, and merely enjoyed the conversation, once again, didn't mean to come across any other way.

It doesn't get anymore condescending that this.

I believe your heart is in the right place, but for some reason, your vision on a possible Miller trade is skewed.
I won't bother to discuss what that phrase implies. If your heart is in the right place you'll figure it out. ;)

I'll leave it at Halak was at his highest value, probably higher than Miller's value is right now (middle of season, poor year, concussion) and I don't think Halak's return gets us into the 2nd round of the playoffs. Not for several years anyway. Maybe that is the disconnect. I think that folks that want to move Miller are advocating for a return with immediate, noteable results. Moving him for a return like Halak got would be a future return. That isn't a bad thing. Heck, it may even be the correct way to go about doing it. But I don;t think it is what the folks advocating Moving Miller are thinking.

I'll leave it at Halak was at his highest value, probably higher than Miller's value is right now (middle of season, poor year, concussion) and I don't think Halak's return gets us into the 2nd round of the playoffs. Not for several years anyway. Maybe that is the disconnect. I think that folks that want to move Miller are advocating for a return with immediate, noteable results. Moving him for a return like Halak got would be a future return. That isn't a bad thing. Heck, it may even be the correct way to go about doing it. But I don;t think it is what the folks advocating Moving Miller are thinking.

Halak's value was high, but I don't believe for a moment higher than Miller's, especially at that time.

He had just won MVP of the Olympics and the Vezina in the NHL.

Miller's value was quite a bit higher for sure.

And on that note, I don't believe Halak has the overall body of work that Miller does, in my opinion that is the selling point on Miller.

Yes I do agree Halak's return was for the future, but then again, Eller was no more of a shot in the dark of St. Louis then Halak was, and they used their first round pick to address their goalie situation, made sense for them.

You could be correct in that going for the future may be the way to go, and that being the case we could wait until his last year in contract to move him. But I do firmly believe that if this organization wants to bring in an impact player in the front 6, they don't have many pieces that are valued as Miller is that they can give away without putting another hole in the roster.

Vanek? Kind of self defeating.

Pominville? Just named Captain, highly unlikely, but interesting none the less.

Stafford? Not nearly the value as Miller.

Ennis? Same as Stafford.

Roy? Center is already to the bone.

Adam? Interesting to be sure, could be a piece in a package, more of a lateral move though if it's a center.

I would think Stafford, Ennis and Adam are more components that may be added.

Halak's value was high, but I don't believe for a moment higher than Miller's, especially at that time.

He had just won MVP of the Olympics and the Vezina in the NHL.

Miller's value was quite a bit higher for sure.

And on that note, I don't believe Halak has the overall body of work that Miller does, in my opinion that is the selling point on Miller.

Yes I do agree Halak's return was for the future, but then again, Eller was no more of a shot in the dark of St. Louis then Halak was, and they used their first round pick to address their goalie situation, made sense for them.

You could be correct in that going for the future may be the way to go, and that being the case we could wait until his last year in contract to move him. But I do firmly believe that if this organization wants to bring in an impact player in the front 6, they don't have many pieces that are valued as Miller is that they can give away without putting another hole in the roster.

Vanek? Kind of self defeating.

Pominville? Just named Captain, highly unlikely, but interesting none the less.

Stafford? Not nearly the value as Miller.

Ennis? Same as Stafford.

Roy? Center is already to the bone.

Adam? Interesting to be sure, could be a piece in a package, more of a lateral move though if it's a center.

I would think Stafford, Ennis and Adam are more components that may be added.

What body of work? The historical evidence that he cannot win "clutch" games? Why would anyone want to give up something decent for a guy that has lost the last 3 1st round series he has been in and hasn't been able to carry the team since the 2 arguably best players the team has had in the last decade were allowed to walk?

I thought acting folk traveled more than sportsmen.. all around the year.

Besides, if rumors that his wife will be making the switch to Bollywood soon are true, then we should be looking to trade Miller to Bombay.. maybe get a couple of cricket players and a choreography team for the new Sabres Ice Girls in return

What body of work? The historical evidence that he cannot win "clutch" games? Why would anyone want to give up something decent for a guy that has lost the last 3 1st round series he has been in and hasn't been able to carry the team since the 2 arguably best players the team has had in the last decade were allowed to walk?

so you'd like to throw the baby out with the bathwater?

i've said it before, and i'll say it again. miller hasn't cost this team the playoffs; the WHOLE TEAM cost this team the playoffs. they got out-played by boston, and they didn't bother showing up to game 7 in the philly series until the 3rd period. WHEN they decide to play, they're almost untouchable. when they do not, they are as limp as a newborn's neck. plain and simple. miller can hold them in a game, but he can only do so much if the defense just stares from the corners as 3 forwards play tic tac toe 15 feet in front of the net.

And that's why I had the question and would still like to see Chz's response (she seems to be on top of this stuff far more than the rest); several people in this thread have stated that it was Matheson who broke the original Pegula stories and we are now on page 9 of a thread dedicated to as lightly based a rumor as you can get. If Matheson did break the original stories, it's still an extremely lightly based rumor; if he was simply 'retweeting' Dupont's Pegula stories, then this rumor starts appearing less useful than something from 'he that shall not be named's site'.

Speaking of 'he that shall not be named;' very well done on the Kiprusoff/Iginla speculation; I expect to see somebody here reporting back in the next day or 2 that this one has made that site. It's something that COULD make sense for both sides, as both get something useful for where they are currently at, so it is plausible; and it seems to be pulled out of thin air. Which pretty much covers all the points necessary to end up on that site.

You'll have to let us know if he sends you a royalty check when he plagerizes your work. My guess is, being the 'honorable' Phlyers fan that he is, you're SOL.

Good to read you in detail the last few days. You have me nervous. It's like when there is 24/7 action around an airforce base for no apparent reason.

Dupont is the guy as far as I'm concerned. He is pretty well versed in all things Buffalo, and from his tweets, I can't tell if his wife really is from Western NY or he just was being funny about Wegmans. I can't find a lot of personal info on him so I don't know where his main source is from. His wife can be friends with Pegula's for all I know. He broke the Penn St donation though so that could be the link, which I first assumed. He is a very good writer and a little brash, so of course I like him. He really takes the Sabres organization to task for being a bunch of whiners all the time, and I tend to agree. If he hinted at something with Miller, other than being soft and possibly embellishing an injury which he has, then I would listen.

The Calgary trade is one that makes the most sense given the parameters involved. Unless you talk to Colorado...there isn't a big pool of teams out west with a top center and a need for a top goalie. Miller does have great name recognition and Calgary would need to save face if they move Iginla. The Sabres get a cup winning goalie at a point in his career where Fuhr was when he came here, and you hope Enroth can take over, but you at least buy yourself a few years to find the next one and get a Captain on the top line who still has plenty in the tank.

Who needs royalties? I have beer.

This would be pretty significant if true. You should re-post in the around the NHL thread - any reported suitors?

Doesn't say on it's twitter.

Also, I see nothing on the Ducks sight as of yet....I'll wait.

Some of the guys PM me and said Hockey Break is hit or miss, but since it looks like one of Stafford or Kaleta may not dress tonight, if it's Stafford, I'd think it somewhat significant.

Doesn't say on it's twitter.

Also, I see nothing on the Ducks sight as of yet....I'll wait.

Some of the guys PM me and said Hockey Break is hit or miss, but since it looks like one of Stafford or Kaleta may not dress tonight, if it's Stafford, I'd think it somewhat significant.

Stafford and Ryan are pretty similar players - Ryan has better production, so would need a sweetener off the roster to clear cap space for Buffalo - it would be an old time hockey trade - trading for the sake of a trade, hoping the change in scenery cures what ailed them. And pray the devil the you don't know is better than the devil you do.

Archived