Ryan Miller denies involvement in trade rumors

spndnchz

Here's a yahoo article regarding the Bobby Ryan being traded saga, including a blurb about the Sabres:

Buffalo Sabres

An interesting option. Bob Murray was in the house for the Sabres and Islanders last night. The Sabres obviously have an owner who has pushed for a bold move or two.

From Queen City Sports, claiming they have a source:

Buffalo, CBJ, and Toronto are the top three teams INTERESTED in Ryan. Right now Leafs have best offer of a combination of Schenn, GRabovski,Bozak, and/or Kadri. It's a very real possibility that Anaheim is using Buffalo to up the deal from Toronto. Also remember the Burke/Anaheim connection; Burke wants the player he drafted. Right now I'd view Toronto as the front runner. Sabres have an offer of Stafford, A young NHL ready player (my guess is Ennis), and a D prospect on the table.

Meanwhile, Bucky Gleason dropped this nugget in a column about the late Jim Kelley (seriously):

It could be, as a source contended before the game, related to a telephone call I hear they had regarding Ryan Miller(notes) on Monday about a possible swap for winger and three-time 30-goal scorer Bobby Ryan. It certainly makes sense, huh Jimbo?

As a foundation for a trade? Sure. As a one-for-one swap? No. The Ducks have more problems than what's between the pipes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/The-Bobby-Ryan-trade-proposal-summary-what-woul?urn=nhl-wp18617

so our local beat reporter writes today that the ducks had 3 FO guys at last night's game and that it's believed miller's name has come up between the 2 franchises, and there are rumors swirling that the ducks are looking to move bobby ryan, and the thread should be closed.

:blink:

i say keep it open. any rush to close this thread reflects a desire to needlessly impose an editorial opinion on what is and isn't an active, worthy topic of conversation. maybe nothing comes of this, but it would appear that this hasn't played itself out.

TAS - as with most of my posts, what I said was tongue in cheek (no, that is not a sexual innuendo, chz). What I did mean was that Miller's unequivocal statement of his happiness and desire to stay in Buffalo puts to bed the rumors of him being open to a move. That does NOT mean that the Sabres wouldn't and aren't thinking of doing so and aren't talking about doing so. While I think it is highly unlikely he would be part of any deal for Ryan, we can't rule that possibility out. Maybe the thread title could be changed to more accurately reflect the status of current events.

Here's a yahoo article regarding the Bobby Ryan being traded saga, including a blurb about the Sabres:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/The-Bobby-Ryan-trade-proposal-summary-what-woul?urn=nhl-wp18617

Staff, Ennis and a D prospect not named McNabb makes sense financially and is a deal I would make in a heartbeat.

This move could be a make or break type bold move from TPegs and DR. It either works out or they end up with egg on their face for giving up too much.

Then again, the winner of the trade is usually the one who gets the best player, and that is most assuredly Bobby Ryan in this one. (and his 5.1M cap hit is pretty sweet)

Throw McNabb in there in a heartbeat. Anaheim is not stupid and there is going to have to be a player that Sabres fans don't want to give up.....

But I want to get bigger and tougher personally, and while acquiring B. Ryan for Stafford and Ennis would do that, losing McNabb is counterproductive. Aren't some of the AHL defensemen supposedly just as good prospects?

TAS - as with most of my posts, what I said was tongue in cheek (no, that is not a sexual innuendo, chz). What I did mean was that Miller's unequivocal statement of his happiness and desire to stay in Buffalo puts to bed the rumors of him being open to a move. That does NOT mean that the Sabres wouldn't and aren't thinking of doing so and aren't talking about doing so. While I think it is highly unlikely he would be part of any deal for Ryan, we can't rule that possibility out. Maybe the thread title could be changed to more accurately reflect the status of current events.

please, please -- call me smell. :D

your point is well taken; maybe the thread title can be changed to Miller Trade Rumor.

EDIT: or possibly Possible Trade Between Buffalo and Anaheim. or Bobby Ryan Sweepstakes.

But I want to get bigger and tougher personally, and while acquiring B. Ryan for Stafford and Ennis would do that, losing McNabb is counterproductive. Aren't some of the AHL defensemen supposedly just as good prospects?

Let them pick any three from Rochester not named McNabb. None of them have his skillset.

2) Bobby Ryan is a better player than Stafford IMO. To make the trade I would guess Stafford, Sekera/MAG/Other defensive prospect in AHL maybe, and a mid pick (3rd-5th) but mathematically its a difficult trade to make.

Interesting but I wouldn't sacrifice a 1st - even if it's not in the top 5. The draft next year is said to be very deep, so I'd keep that 1st pick. Maybe a 2nd?

There is NFW Anaheim would take Stafford, Sekera/MAG and a 2nd for Ryan. The entire NHL is well aware that Stafford has had a mediocre career other than his contract year, that Sekera has done nothing to distinguish himself and that a 2nd-round pick is at least 50% likely never to stick in the NHL. Nobody gives up a guy with 3 straight 30-goal seasons for that.

this from harrington on sabres edge.

A paragraph deep in a long Edmonton Journal piece by Hall of Fame writer Jim Matheson on Sunday said Miller "wouldn't mind" a trade, and it's known the Sabres and Anaheim Ducks are talking about multiple scenarios. The Ducks had three scouts on hand Tuesday night, including GM Bob Murray, and it's believed Miller's name has come up.

p.s. that bolded part is harrington's statement, not matheson's.

Pretty weak work from Harrington, IMHO. "It's believed?" Not even "a source tells us that Miller was discussed?" Give me an effing break.

This move could be a make or break type bold move from TPegs and DR. It either works out or they end up with egg on their face for giving up too much.

Then again, the winner of the trade is usually always the one who gets the best player, and that is most assuredly Bobby Ryan in this one. (and his 5.1M cap hit is pretty sweet)

While the distinction of who was the best player in the trade and who won can change with time (think Nieuwendyk / Iginla), the team that ends up with the best player ALWAYS wins the trade.

While Stafford may grow into the power forward role (or may not) and Ennis could eventually be in the mold of a Briere and a D prospect could grow up and grow good; I would send those 3 out of town for Bobby Ryan in a heartbeat. Ryan is already grown into the power forward role and is 2 years younger than Stafford.

Adding a true #1 center (either at trade deadline or in offseason) would allow the Sabres to have a top 6 of T#1C, TV, BR, JP, DR, and one of VL, NG, or JH. 3rd line could have the 2 you don't put on the top 6 plus either PG or BB. THAT could be fun to watch.

Let them pick any three from Rochester not named McNabb. None of them have his skillset.

If Buffalo really wants Ryan, no way do they jump in front of Toronto and their offerings without someone like McNabb. I would not be surprised if the ONLY player Anaheim was there to see last night WAS McNabb.....

If Buffalo really wants Ryan, no way do they jump in front of Toronto and their offerings without someone like McNabb. I would not be surprised if the ONLY player Anaheim was there to see last night WAS McNabb.....

Toronto's alleged offering is a King's ransom - I don't believe the hype. Remember, Bobby Ryan is doing something (or not doing something) to cause Anaheim to consider moving him. Staff, Ennis, D prospect and a pick?

Not even a package of Stafford, Ennis, MAG? That would be stronger than Toronto in the forwards coming back right? Moving MAG would clear up the pipeline clogging at D, coupled with a trade of a few lesser D prospects for some forward/center prospects to even things out.

Am I close or not?

While the distinction of who was the best player in the trade and who won can change with time (think Nieuwendyk / Iginla), the team that ends up with the best player ALWAYS wins the trade.

While Stafford may grow into the power forward role (or may not) and Ennis could eventually be in the mold of a Briere and a D prospect could grow up and grow good; I would send those 3 out of town for Bobby Ryan in a heartbeat. Ryan is already grown into the power forward role and is 2 years younger than Stafford.

Adding a true #1 center (either at trade deadline or in offseason) would allow the Sabres to have a top 6 of T#1C, TV, BR, JP, DR, and one of VL, NG, or JH. 3rd line could have the 2 you don't put on the top 6 plus either PG or BB. THAT could be fun to watch.

More to a point, a top line of #1center, Vanek and Ryan. That's league leading worthy.

There is NFW Anaheim would take Stafford, Sekera/MAG and a 2nd for Ryan. The entire NHL is well aware that Stafford has had a mediocre career other than his contract year, that Sekera has done nothing to distinguish himself and that a 2nd-round pick is at least 50% likely never to stick in the NHL. Nobody gives up a guy with 3 straight 30-goal seasons for that.

Too bad Darcy gave Stafford/Sekera $7 million a year.

We still need a LEADER up front. I'd rather bang the drum for Iginla. Ryan is a nice player in that mold, but I want prison scars.

Figure Luke Adam instead of Jochen IMO, but yeah, that sounds good.

EDIT: BTW I like the Title change

And yellowsnow: please give it a rest, the rest of us know how you feel, as you've beat the dead horse sideways now...

Figure Luke Adam instead of Jochen IMO, but yeah, that sounds good.

Not sure how I dropped LA out of that mix, but yeah, he should fit in there somewhere. :doh:

Until the 1st line center shows up, these lines aren't half bad:

Vanek - Roy - Ryan

Gerbe - Adam - Pominville

Hecht - Gaustad - Leino

McCormick - Ellis - Kaleta (assumes Cody and Pat ever come off IR)

And they can do a fair amount of mixing and matching.

And then there are the cases where both sides win. I'd say your example fits that label pretty well.

Archived