F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

Prospective Father Advice (this is all "negative" stuff, but it's stuff that I wish I'd taken more to heart):

• Do everything you think you're going to do when the babies are around RIGHT NOW. You're not going to get to it for months after.
  • If the pregnancy isn't hitting MrsMenace too bad, travel and do everything you can now, too. It's a lot easier caring for a baby when it's on the inside.
  • Don't turn down any help for the first weeks after the kids show up, doubly so for you. MrsPie had help, but due to location it was only a week then we were on our own with some visits from the grandparents. That was, and is, really hard.
  • If you can manage it, stay up late caring for the baby while MrsMenace sleeps for 4 uninterrupted hours and then you sleep for a few hours. Feeding may interrupt that, of course, but do your best.

Prospective Father Advice (this is all "negative" stuff, but it's stuff that I wish I'd taken more to heart):

• Do everything you think you're going to do when the babies are around RIGHT NOW. You're not going to get to it for months after.
  • If the pregnancy isn't hitting MrsMenace too bad, travel and do everything you can now, too. It's a lot easier caring for a baby when it's on the inside.
  • Don't turn down any help for the first weeks after the kids show up, doubly so for you. MrsPie had help, but due to location it was only a week then we were on our own with some visits from the grandparents. That was, and is, really hard.
  • If you can manage it, stay up late caring for the baby while MrsMenace sleeps for 4 uninterrupted hours and then you sleep for a few hours. Feeding may interrupt that, of course, but do your best.

Trying to plan a surprise "baby-moon" with the mrs.  We'll see about where we go in the middle of winter lol. Thank you for the advice.  

dEnnis, you've been presented with the perfect opportunity:  Fantasy Draft!

Each of you picks one, you raise them according to your own plan and then see which turns out better.  You let the wife pick first because, well, it's only fair.  It would work well with identicals, but hey, you play the cards you're dealt. Winner gets $20.

Game on!! haha

Thank you everyone! 

Been waiting to officially post the news (although I kind of let it slip in another thread).  Mrs Menace and I are expecting to add 2 new Buffalo fans to world.  expecting fraternal twins around playoff time (late March early April).  Still haven't announced on Facebook yet, but we've told all of our family and our closest friends.  I still need to reach out to a few far off friends (service members and others).  Couldn't be more excited.  Completely unexpected (the twins aspect that is).  Going for our second ultrasound on Nov. 3rd.  I've already talked to work about getting every doctors appointment off. There was nothing more fantastic than seeing both of the little ones move around on the screen.  Not going to lie, I shed a tear.   

It's an unreal feeling seeing them move around on the ultrasound screen.  Can't imagine having two, that's awesome man.  Big congrats to you and the misses!

If I can add some advice from my recent experience (as in last night).  There are many late night diaper changes so make sure you buy the little outfits with a zipper!!  You don't want to be fumbling around with the button ones at 3am during your third diaper change of the night (for you it would be the 6th haha).  Those damn buttons never line up either!

Edited by Derrico

Been waiting to officially post the news (although I kind of let it slip in another thread). Mrs Menace and I are expecting to add 2 new Buffalo fans to world. expecting fraternal twins around playoff time (late March early April). Still haven't announced on Facebook yet, but we've told all of our family and our closest friends. I still need to reach out to a few far off friends (service members and others). Couldn't be more excited. Completely unexpected (the twins aspect that is). Going for our second ultrasound on Nov. 3rd. I've already talked to work about getting every doctors appointment off. There was nothing more fantastic than seeing both of the little ones move around on the screen. Not going to lie, I shed a tear.

:w00t:

Sooooo...Sabrespace picks the names by committee right?

Maybe a Tom Webster birth day pool?

Been waiting to officially post the news (although I kind of let it slip in another thread).  Mrs Menace and I are expecting to add 2 new Buffalo fans to world.  expecting fraternal twins around playoff time (late March early April).  Still haven't announced on Facebook yet, but we've told all of our family and our closest friends.  I still need to reach out to a few far off friends (service members and others).  Couldn't be more excited.  Completely unexpected (the twins aspect that is).  Going for our second ultrasound on Nov. 3rd.  I've already talked to work about getting every doctors appointment off. There was nothing more fantastic than seeing both of the little ones move around on the screen.  Not going to lie, I shed a tear.   

Nice! Congrats!

I had the pleasure of being in the room when a friend of mine had hers recently. Incredible.

Congratulations Dennis!!

All the wisdom I have gathered when it comes to the little darlings....just don't drop them, the rest will work it's self out.

Seven and eleven.

Blue and Gold.

Due date is currently set as 4/12, but twins rarely go full 40 weeks.  have at it with the birthday pool haha! we already picked the names (picked 4, as we won't know genders until Nov 30)

Been waiting to officially post the news (although I kind of let it slip in another thread). Mrs Menace and I are expecting to add 2 new Buffalo fans to world. expecting fraternal twins around playoff time (late March early April). Still haven't announced on Facebook yet, but we've told all of our family and our closest friends. I still need to reach out to a few far off friends (service members and others). Couldn't be more excited. Completely unexpected (the twins aspect that is). Going for our second ultrasound on Nov. 3rd. I've already talked to work about getting every doctors appointment off. There was nothing more fantastic than seeing both of the little ones move around on the screen. Not going to lie, I shed a tear.

I'm not sure whether to congratulate you or mourn the death of your free time. Maybe both? :p

Trying to plan a surprise "baby-moon" with the mrs.  We'll see about where we go in the middle of winter lol. Thank you for the advice.  

Game on!! haha

Thank you everyone! 

I was going to write more, but a yelling toddler interrupted me. Get used to that. :)

Edited by MattPie

Erica Brecher of WGRZ just had a package on a kid with muscular dystrophy who is a huge Sabres fan... She legitimately asked him "what is worse - dealing with complications due to muscular dystrophy or swallowing a tough Sabres loss?"

A classic television moment. Truly classic.

It reminded me of another news gaffe:

The producer who makes my life a living hurry up and wait purgatory gave me 2, count 'em, 2!!! approvals this afternoon! Even though some of the decisions recently made mean I'm going to have to work like a dog next week to make it all work, getting approval before starting on it all makes it infinitely less stressful. 

So that's rare and fantastic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bump-

Driving back to Toledo tonight or tomorrow (thanks wind) to see how a friend is holding up. Means I get to listen to the Red Wings v Toronto game as I drive, or watch it if I stay, either way, as a Detroit fan, it's pretty amusing to watch Babs behind the other bench. 

A former student of mine has requested to do an Independent Study with me. It might be tough, as technically adjunct professors cannot run one, but the heads of my dept. are trying to find a loophole.

I guess a bunch of my former students have talked about starting a petition to ask RIT to make me full time and teach more classes. Super heart warming. I'm making a difference!  I'm actually beginning to seriously consider getting a Masters and teaching more instead. 

And it's absolutely vindicating to hear that my coworker is absolutely hated by his students (he took an empty teaching slot as well). He bragged to me about making one of them cry today. Makes me pretty sad- half his students were kids of mine who took the class thinking a different person was teaching it. They're miserable, and there's nothing I can do but keep my mouth shut and listen. 

Hope y'alls weekends/Friday look lovely! 

Bump-

Driving back to Toledo tonight or tomorrow (thanks wind) to see how a friend is holding up. Means I get to listen to the Red Wings v Toronto game as I drive, or watch it if I stay, either way, as a Detroit fan, it's pretty amusing to watch Babs behind the other bench. 

A former student of mine has requested to do an Independent Study with me. It might be tough, as technically adjunct professors cannot run one, but the heads of my dept. are trying to find a loophole.

I guess a bunch of my former students have talked about starting a petition to ask RIT to make me full time and teach more classes. Super heart warming. I'm making a difference!  I'm actually beginning to seriously consider getting a Masters and teaching more instead. 

And it's absolutely vindicating to hear that my ###### coworker is absolutely hated by his students (he took an empty teaching slot as well). He bragged to me about making one of them cry today. Makes me pretty sad- half his students were kids of mine who took the class thinking a different person was teaching it. They're miserable, and there's nothing I can do but keep my mouth shut and listen. 

Hope y'alls weekends/Friday look lovely! 

:thumbsup:

I don't post much, but I always enjoy visiting this thread at Friday's end, just to read about all the good. It's like backing into your parking space. It just makes me leap into the weekend positive. Anyway, I missed last Friday and seeing this post today just opens a flood of emotion for me. I have three kids and my oldest is heading to college next year and reading this post brought back all those "I'm gonna be a dad" emotions. I was out in Denver earlier this week and I got home late Wednesday and I looked at my kids sleeping faces when I got home and I was so happy to think about the great young adults they've become and how much fun we've had together.

When you get sick of people saying "It goes by so quick", just play along. You won't get it until your kids are about to walk out the door. Anyway, Congratulations!  

I don't post much, but I always enjoy visiting this thread at Friday's end, just to read about all the good. It's like backing into your parking space. It just makes me leap into the weekend positive. Anyway, I missed last Friday and seeing this post today just opens a flood of emotion for me. I have three kids and my oldest is heading to college next year and reading this post brought back all those "I'm gonna be a dad" emotions. I was out in Denver earlier this week and I got home late Wednesday and I looked at my kids sleeping faces when I got home and I was so happy to think about the great young adults they've become and how much fun we've had together.

When you get sick of people saying "It goes by so quick", just play along. You won't get it until your kids are about to walk out the door. Anyway, Congratulations!  

Awesome stuff.  Always nice when a lurker stops in with a few words.

I spoke to my ex today.  It was actually pretty nice.  It felt like banishing the demons of my teenage angst.

I had coffee a few weeks back with my first longterm boyfriend. It was nice- kinda assuaged all those squirmy bad memories you have about a failed relationship. Also reminded me (though I didn't need the reminder) how glad I am that particular relationship didn't continue. 

Positives positives positives. Glad to hear it.

I've been feeling myself lapse back into lurker territory here again. Not that I was ever a controversial firebrand or particularly useful in any hockey discussion, mostly contributing to OT. Maybe that's ok. I like the community, glad that this thread can kind of give everyone that little assurance of humanity :) 

I actually like it when the "Complaint Thursdays" thread extends into Friday.

Also, prepping for a vacation to the Gulf coast (near Pensacola) for Thanksgiving.  Getting excited about it and I think I'll like having the Thanksgiving holiday in a camp setting.  Plan is to do this every Thanksgiving as a tradition to different (warm) parts of the country.