The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Sam Adams, whom I've been a long loyal fan, has made a fantastic Rebel IPA. Goes good with babies. ;)

Been tempted to try that, but for some reason the California thing has kept me away. I did buy a 12 of their Hopology, which is excellent.

I think we've been over this before, but this pumpkin beer craze is just out of control. I went to my local craft beer shop yesterday and there were more pumpkin beers than I've ever seen. I can't believe that there is such a great demand for this style. I can appreciate a well done pumpkin beer, but 6 oz. and I'm done, there's no way I'm drinking a few pints or a six pack of the stuff.

I think we've been over this before, but this pumpkin beer craze is just out of control. I went to my local craft beer shop yesterday and there were more pumpkin beers than I've ever seen. I can't believe that there is such a great demand for this style. I can appreciate a well done pumpkin beer, but 6 oz. and I'm done, there's no way I'm drinking a few pints or a six pack of the stuff.

Yeah not many can drink more than 4 of most fruit beers.

http://www.lindemans.be/start/kriek/en

This is considered to be the best brand over here.

We have that here, and you're right... it's good, but not something you'd have a lot of. The pumpkin beers aren't terribly similar to lambic, though (not sour... just flavored beer).

That's interesting, is this case is "best" most popular or actually "best"? For example, in the US, Miller Lite is probably the most popular but not many of us would consider it the best. I've had various Lindemans before (the cherry mixed with stout is pretty good, btw) but I never really considered them "good" lambic. They're almost wine-coolers (I think in the UK those are referred to as alco-pops in case the term isn't familar). Good for a fancy way to get girls who don't like beer tipsy, though that's long in the past for me.

Everyone is mad about pumpkin spice this and that and I'm just glad there's some good Oktoberfest beers out there. I had Spaten's Oktoberfest and really liked it- it had a honey taste to it that I didn't expect. Shiner has an ok Oktoberfest, and Breckenridge's Autumn Ale isn't bad (nothing is as good as their Avalanche to me though).

Maybe my pumpkin aversion comes from a night in college where, liquor drunk, I thought it was a good idea to down a 6pack of syrupy Saranac pumpkin ale. Pumpkin barf is its own special kind of hell.

I bought a mixed 6 from Wegmans (easily the greatest idea that company has ever implemented) and ended up with 5/6 being pumpkin. That wasn't my intent, it just sorta happened. Luckily, I'm more enthusiastic about the stuff than you are :D

Dont know if this is just certain beers, or there's a specific beer topic I have to stick to but...

Heineken fresh from Dam is absolutely beautiful.

Most beers are delicious when fresh from the origin... I have a weakness for Straub from St. Mary's, going to school a few hours away made it a delicious weekend trip.

The thing that really sucks is the beer stores take the summer beers of the shelves in late July and in goes all the Pumpkin and Octoberfest beers. Just what I want in the dog days of summer! And I like the occasional pumpkin.

I now have in the fridge a 12 of Shipwreck Pumpkin in the can, will last me through November.

Linkinghole Creek here in Richmond does pumpkin beer right, they grow the pumpkins on their farm, harvest them early fall, pumpkin beer comes out around first week of November, limited release, gone in about 2 weeks. Perfect!

BTW, just had the Stone Saison , not a huge fan.

The thing that really sucks is the beer stores take the summer beers of the shelves in late July and in goes all the Pumpkin and Octoberfest beers. Just what I want in the dog days of summer! And I like the occasional pumpkin.

I now have in the fridge a 12 of Shipwreck Pumpkin in the can, will last me through November.

Linkinghole Creek here in Richmond does pumpkin beer right, they grow the pumpkins on their farm, harvest them early fall, pumpkin beer comes out around first week of November, limited release, gone in about 2 weeks. Perfect!

BTW, just had the Stone Saison , not a huge fan.

It's not really the stores fault. The brewers release the beers using the same rationale as the fashion industry and by the end of the season, when you want that style, it's gone, replaced with something you won't want for another 2-3 months.

And yep, that brewery does it right. There are some who get it.

Most beers are delicious when fresh from the origin... I have a weakness for Straub from St. Mary's, going to school a few hours away made it a delicious weekend trip.

Mmm..Straub. I was introduced to Straub when I was going to school down in PA. It is probably the most refreshing beer I ever had (ice cold, of course). Every once in a while when I make a trip back to my folks home town, I pick up a case.

I'm not a craft beer guy so I don't post in this thread often. That said, I just got around to unpacking my Shultz and Dooley beer steins and setting them up nicely around the man cave. After that I had to go out and get some beer. Walked into the local beer store and bam, case of Utica Club! That was a sign from God him/herself. UC! In Pennsylvania! I couldn't believe it so I had to get it.

That's interesting, is this case is "best" most popular or actually "best"? For example, in the US, Miller Lite is probably the most popular but not many of us would consider it the best. I've had various Lindemans before (the cherry mixed with stout is pretty good, btw) but I never really considered them "good" lambic. They're almost wine-coolers (I think in the UK those are referred to as alco-pops in case the term isn't familar). Good for a fancy way to get girls who don't like beer tipsy, though that's long in the past for me.

Well that depends, some like it more sweeter and go for other brands, i think Lindemans is sweet enough. But i can drink around 12 of those easy.

Well that depends, some like it more sweeter and go for other brands, i think Lindemans is sweet enough. But i can drink around 12 of those easy.

Wow, I consider Lindemans pretty sweet already. I haven't had one in awhile, I'll have to try them again if I see one.

• 1 month later...

We need to drink more around here.

Local brewery did a oatmeal stout cask with bacon and maple syrup added to it. It was decent but the coffee really overpowered the maple/bacon and I was honestly a little disappointed. After that I enjoyed a Porter that had cocoa nibs and cocoanut. It was really good. Also had a bit of a chocolate taste in there and honestly was just a fun beer to drink. Had an oddly fruity aroma, almost a mix of banana and mango.

• 6 months later...

Can't believe this thread has been collecting dust for about 7 months. Going to grab a growler of Rohrbach vanilla porter after work

I think thats my favorite of their stuff.

I'm actually trying to cut down on the beer drinking; especially during the summer I usually have 1 or 2 a day, and forget about the weekends. However, I've got some homebrew that'll be ready to crack open tomorrow when I get home from work, so I have a feeling that will happen...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.