The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

thanks for the perspective on the session beers, fellas.

it makes a difference for me. when i'm somewhere where i want to have 4 or 5 beers over a period of time, and if i get into 5 significant IPAs, i'm tipsy. which isn't always what i want. but if i get into 5 beers with a bud heavy ABV? i may still pass the keys to my wife, but i feel a lot less drunk, which is sometimes what i want.

i will agree that an IPA with an ABV sub-5% is just not an IPA. but, whatever.

These beers are the next craft beer fad it seems...many years ago it was the monster double IPA's, then black IPA's were the rage for awhile, now we get these session IPA's. I've had the offerings from Founders, Lagunitas and Terrapin. I enjoy them all, but I understand the purists getting irked by including IPA in the name. A sub 5%abv beer cannot be classified an IPA by BJCP guidelines, and they have too many IBU's to be an APA. I just call them "beers that I enjoy"

Ahh yea.. Just like the Black IPA problem. How can it be black and pale? So they invented the Cascadian Dark Ale term too.

I'm with you.. brewers have stomped all over the "style" categories these days. It's like trying to classify music.

This might belong in the awesome thread.

I looked up the beer cooler tech, it's something like a unti from Maxi-mix.com. I was hoping it was some sort of on-demand beer cooler and pump, but it's essentially a box of tubing that you either water-bath or dump ice into to make the beer cold. I had this vision of installing it in my basement and installing a tap on the corner of my kitchen sink.

I just scored the best deal in my personal craft beer drinking history. I had lunch over near the craft beer shop that I normally frequent, so I decided to stop in to browse a bit. Right by the front door was a stack of Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye bombers for $1.49 each. I snapped up a case of 12 for $19. Normally this would have set me back somewhere in the neighborhood of $70-$80. It doesn't hurt that it's also probably one of my top 5 favorite craft beers.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/610/3158/

I just scored the best deal in my personal craft beer drinking history. I had lunch over near the craft beer shop that I normally frequent, so I decided to stop in to browse a bit. Right by the front door was a stack of Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye bombers for $1.49 each. I snapped up a case of 12 for $19. Normally this would have set me back somewhere in the neighborhood of $70-$80. It doesn't hurt that it's also probably one of my top 5 favorite craft beers.

http://www.beeradvoc...ofile/610/3158/

*Looks at Claude's location*

I am disappoint.

http://www.beeradvoc...ofile/610/3158/

I wonder if the price is coming down, I picked up a 12oz x 24 case last month for $45 at my local brew-thru. It's my wife's very favorite beer, she was jealous when I brought it home.

anyone have a really nice summer beer they like?

Double IPA, porters, stouts. :)

In all seriousness, I tend to drink more German-style Hefewizen or Saison in the summer, but not at all exclusively. Victory's Mad King and Sunrise are both good examples of the former, Swing Saison is a nice session beer.

I have a lot of beers that I think are geared towards summer drinking, but if you are referring to "summer" beers as in beers that routinely are light in color and have some kind of lemon accents.. not really.

the kolsch style is my go-to for craft summer drankin'. if you're in buffalo, flying bison has a good one.

p.s. i just started googling "kolsch", and it's a bit of a fascinating story on origins, meaning, etc. among other things, it is the ale that drinks like a lager.

Hey thanks for all the suggestions. I was looking for something that wasn't called Something Something Lime/Lemon and sounds like Kolsch and Weiss beers would be a sound bet. The new brewery has a Weiss that I liked when I tried so this summer I will be trying some more!

Hey thanks for all the suggestions. I was looking for something that wasn't called Something Something Lime/Lemon and sounds like Kolsch and Weiss beers would be a sound bet. The new brewery has a Weiss that I liked when I tried so this summer I will be trying some more!

I love, love , love the HOP Sun.

The Kolsh from Goose Island i enjoy as well..evn though Bud owns them i think they have left them alone.

Also, for the session beers, i disliked both the Founders and the Terrapin

I do like this though

http://schlafly.com/...s/sessions-ipa/

Edited by plenzmd1

A lot of craft beers offered in cans now. Cans aren't just for the cheap swill anymore.

Yup, Oskar Blues and Magic Hat already have a bunch, Saranac is supposedly putting some out this year, too. Lighter, smaller, last longer on shelves; plus they're perfect for floating around on a boat and drinking.

Yup, Oskar Blues and Magic Hat already have a bunch, Saranac is supposedly putting some out this year, too. Lighter, smaller, last longer on shelves; plus they're perfect for floating around on a boat and drinking.

I've seen the Saranac 12 packs of cans down here.

New Belgium, Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, Terrapin, plus a few of the local breweries near me in NC are in on the cans now.

I'll submit Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in a can as a fine summer brew, but I also have been known to down an ice cold PBR after mowing the lawn when it's 90 degrees.

I've seen the Saranac 12 packs of cans down here.

New Belgium, Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, Terrapin, plus a few of the local breweries near me in NC are in on the cans now.

I'll submit Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in a can as a fine summer brew, but I also have been known to down an ice cold PBR after mowing the lawn when it's 90 degrees.

Look for Creature Comforts, also in cans, Starting in August. Not sure how far afield their distribution will go since they just opened but I enjoyed the 2 beers I had of theirs.

http://creaturecomfortsbeer.com/year_round_beers/

Look for Creature Comforts, also in cans, Starting in August. Not sure how far afield their distribution will go since they just opened but I enjoyed the 2 beers I had of theirs.

http://creaturecomfo...ar_round_beers/

I'll keep an eye out for them. I'd like to try that czech pils, that's a style that you don't often see from many craft breweries. Victory Prima Pils in the best and most widely available example that I can think of.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.