The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

I never understood why anyone consumed beer if they were simply looking for a cheap solution to consume alcohol.

I mean, especially if you are discounting taste in the equation.  There are plenty of cheap liquor or wine alternatives that pack a greater punch at a lower price point.  Not to mention how much less volume needs to be consumed to reach the same level of drunkenness.

I never understood why anyone consumed beer if they were simply looking for a cheap solution to consume alcohol.

I mean, especially if you are discounting taste in the equation.  There are plenty of cheap liquor or wine alternatives that pack a greater punch at a lower price point.  Not to mention how much less volume needs to be consumed to reach the same level of drunkenness.

Let me try to assist: If, say, you're in college hanging with your bros (BRO! BRO!) and just want to pass a few (or more) hours and shoot the breeze without anyone getting out of hand or anything, then, well, a dirty 30 of Keystone or Natural or whatever is just what the doctor ordered. It always worked perfectly for that purpose when I was a younger man.

What I do chafe at a bit is this perspective of "Why on earth would anyone ever do that?!"*** when, in fact, what I think is intended is something more like "Not for me - no thanks."

***This suggests that there is, in fact, no rational or defensible reason for the behaviour.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Yeah, the art shows I used to throw- we'd get a couple Little Caesar's hot and ready pizzas and a couple 30 racks of Genny, fill the disgusting utility sink in the studio with ice (people pissed in that thing... regularly) and toss the beers in. Ah yes, the piss beers. A few 40s always found their way in. Usually had some cruddy vodka on hand- I filled a piñata with airport bottles of booze once- those went quickly. 

Given that half the people there were crust punks, it worked just lovely. You'd walk one studio over and they'd have fine cheeses and nice wines... we were just a s h i t  show. I loved it. 

Now, if you were friends with us we'd actually buy a couple six packs of something halfway decent and hand you one. 

At parties I generally tried to drink halfway decent stuff. Especially as the tolerance decreased. But oh god. I will never face anything pumpkin again. I didn't like it to start, and once you vomit up a full sixer of Saranac pumpkin syrupy ale (and too much liquor), the smell of pumpkin spice around fall is enough to turn your guts. 

Edited by Josie914

Let me try to assist: If, say, you're in college hanging with your bros (BRO! BRO!) and just want to pass a few (or more) hours and shoot the breeze without anyone getting out of hand or anything, then, well, a dirty 30 of Keystone or Natural or whatever is just what the doctor ordered. It always worked perfectly for that purpose when I was a younger man.

What I do chafe at a bit is this perspective of "Why on earth would anyone ever do that?!"*** when, in fact, what I think is intended is something more like "Not for me - no thanks."

***This suggests that there is, in fact, no rational or defensible reason for the behaviour.

Keystone Beer, Natural, Genny, Budweiser, etc. are all 4.5% - 5% beers.

Sam Adams Boston Lager is 4.9%.

If I was hanging about for a few (or more) hours I would get equally out of hand with Sam Adams Boston Lager. Granted, 30 Keystones are going to cost far less than 30 Sam Adams. If it's a pure money thing and you enjoy the taste of that beer then go for it.  Most of the people usually don't talk about buying it for the taste. They talk about the quantity they can purchase for the price. Usually this is done as a reference to being able to consume more total beers because there are now more total beers to consume.  Consuming more would equate, generally, to being more inebriated. Thus my original argument that there are cheaper ways to get drunk that occur faster, with less total liquid consumption, for the same price or less than the 30 pack of beer.

Not sure if you were chafed at how I stated it but I did try and place the question within the realm of achieving drunkenness and not simply why would people buy the beer.  Furthermore, I didn't say "Why on Earth..." I simply said "I never understood"

If it's a pure money thing and you enjoy the taste of that beer then go for it.

for the time period i was talking about, that was the controlling issue.

Not sure if you were chafed at how I stated it but I did try and place the question within the realm of achieving drunkenness and not simply why would people buy the beer.  Furthermore, I didn't say "Why on Earth..." I simply said "I never understood"

fair enough - i did misstate what you said a bit. you get my drift, though. and i, yours.  :beer:

not for nothing, i still roll with miller lite at the beach over a solid domesto like sam adams lager, even though i can afford the latter now. (less filling!)

I'm not saying I didn't drink lower end beers. We were huge champions of Red Dog and Genny. But Natty? Why even bother?

Given a blind taste test, I highly doubt anyone on this board could tell the difference between Red Dog, Genny, Natty, or any other macro 5% ABV or below. Technically, they're not brewed (and I use this term loosely) any differently than another.

Edited by kas23

Given a blind taste test, I highly doubt anyone on this board could tell the difference between Red Dog, Genny, Natty, or any other macro 5% ABV or below. Technically, they're not brewed (and I use this term loosely) any differently than another.

excellent point. those things are chemically engineered as much as anything.

I can. Genny tastes like moss and Red Dog is Uncommonly Smooth.

Oh you're a rare fellow, aintcha?

I tap Eleven as the administrator of a blind taste test of some combo of Natty, Genny, Keystone, Narraganassett (however you spell it), and some other crap macro.

I'd always pegged PBR as my cheap beer of choice, and then, when challenged, failed a taste test between it and Lone Star when I moved to Texas a few years back :oops:

for the time period i was talking about, that was the controlling issue.

fair enough - i did misstate what you said a bit. you get my drift, though. and i, yours.  :beer:

not for nothing, i still roll with miller lite at the beach over a solid domesto like sam adams lager, even though i can afford the latter now. (less filling!)

Coolio.  So, I would recommend things like Sierra Nevada Nooner Pilsner, Victory Prima Pils, so many of the session IPAs as well. Nooner Pilsner is estimated at 104 calories per can.  Miller Lite is 96.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.