The Official Beer Appreciation Thread

Weave

Bought my second kit, a maibock. I may be in a bit over my head because I have to lager it, but we'll see. If I do it right it'll be done right at the beginning of May which would be perfect. Also went a little off the kit recipe, changed the yeast and I'll be adding a little extra hops. Here goes nothing.

I didn't know I was supposed to check it until it was too late. Learning lots during this process.

Absolutely. I was fortunate that for my very first foray into homebrewing I was taught step by step by Tim Herzog of Flying Bison. If you have a local homebrew club to join where you could brew alongside one of the experienced guys or sometimes local homebrew supply shops offer in store demos. I can 100% promise that there would be homebrew shared at either one of these types of gatherings.

Bought my second kit, a maibock. I may be in a bit over my head because I have to lager it, but we'll see. If I do it right it'll be done right at the beginning of May which would be perfect. Also went a little off the kit recipe, changed the yeast and I'll be adding a little extra hops. Here goes nothing.

A basement in WNY at this time of year or garage come early spring will be perfect for lagering. Good luck.

Changed the yeast to what? ADDED hops? I know styles are being blurred all the time but it is a Maibock. What hops did you add, and when?

I should also ask, is your kit a malt extract kit, a specialty grain kit or an all grain kit?

Changed the yeast to what? ADDED hops? I know styles are being blurred all the time but it is a Maibock. What hops did you add, and when?

I should also ask, is your kit a malt extract kit, a specialty grain kit or an all grain kit?

I haven't actually DONE anything yet, its still in the mail. The kit came standard with 2124 wyeast which is more of a generic lager yeast. Instead I'm going with a more Bock specific yeast (http://www.whitelabs...ock-lager-yeast) which I'm hoping will make it a little less malty as this will be a spring bock instead of a mid or late winter bock.

As for the hops, I don't actually know what I'm doing with it exactly, but I have some ideas from other recipes I'm finding online. I have to wait and see what I actually get w/ the kit, as it doesn't seem to list it on the website, so I guess I should have said I MAY be adding OR changing the hops.

The kit is an extract, as I'm going to slowly acquire equipment before moving on into all grain. I bought a hydrometer this time, next up is a carboy probably (or maybe a Better Bottle as I'm cheap).

Don't worry, I'm not interested in making this an IPA or an IPL and just calling it a bock, I'm just want to get started experimenting a little. I'm doing my homework on this stuff though, haha.

EDIT: words.

Edited by sabills

No worries...

I started with buckets and a pan on the stove, I know where you are at.

So, stay with the bucket for fermenting until you can afford something better than a better bottle. They are nice, but cleaning them is awful. I don't like glass carboys (I've read too many injury stories from breaking glass). I've used them, never had an issue, but I was always leery of something bad happening.

I'm currently using a 14.5 gallon conical.. not your cup of tea.. but in reviewing if you can save up for this you might be happy - http://morebeer.com/products/brew-bucket-stainless-fermenter.html

I'm thinking about getting a couple of them in the near future for a different brewing system. Fermenters are the hardest thing to clean and stainless is amazing at reducing the effort.

No worries...

I started with buckets and a pan on the stove, I know where you are at.

So, stay with the bucket for fermenting until you can afford something better than a better bottle. They are nice, but cleaning them is awful. I don't like glass carboys (I've read too many injury stories from breaking glass). I've used them, never had an issue, but I was always leery of something bad happening.

I'm currently using a 14.5 gallon conical.. not your cup of tea.. but in reviewing if you can save up for this you might be happy - http://morebeer.com/...-fermenter.html

I'm thinking about getting a couple of them in the near future for a different brewing system. Fermenters are the hardest thing to clean and stainless is amazing at reducing the effort.

That thing is awesome, haha.

Did you bottle it or is that kegged? Anyone have opinions on priming with corn sugar vs conditioning tablets in the bottles?

Bottled, and I used sugar because that's what the kit came with. I'm not sure what's happening w/ the next one.

Rate it on a scale of "well, I made this so I guess I should drink it" to "I'm already making more!"

I'd give it a "If I bought it I wouldn't be disappointed but I probably wouldn't run out and buy more right away"

Bottled, and I used sugar because that's what the kit came with. I'm not sure what's happening w/ the next one.

Read about using honey for IPA's so that's what I did. Mixed about an ounce with 1 cup water then siphoned in my carboys contents. Sanitized bucket with spout for bottling, poured capped and waiting for the finished product. Most of what I read online says wait at least 3 weeks. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

We need to drink more.

Had Terrapin Double Feature last night, it is a Dubbel with a 7.7% ABV. Really nice beer with some good flavor. It is darker with some fruitiness and surprising more of medium body than a heavy Dubbel. I enjoyed it and plan on taking a couple bottles to Savannah with me.

I've got two beers on deck for my annual St. Patrick's day party next weekend. A dry irish stout has been racked to the keg, and an irish red ale is finishing up in the fermenter.

A homebrewing convenience and money saving tip for some of the brewing newbies.... I brewed the red on the same day that I racked the stout to the keg. When I was done brewing the red I simply racked the cooled wort right onto the yeast cake left behind in the carboy from the stout. The fermentation was roaring within hours.

Read about using honey for IPA's so that's what I did. Mixed about an ounce with 1 cup water then siphoned in my carboys contents. Sanitized bucket with spout for bottling, poured capped and waiting for the finished product. Most of what I read online says wait at least 3 weeks. Any thoughts?

Oh man, honey, thats an interesting idea. I might have to try that w/ the maibock thats going right now...

3 weeks is probably about right. I tried mine at 1.5 the first time and its definetly better now that I let it condition a bit longer. Its been a while since this post, have you tried it yet?!

I've got two beers on deck for my annual St. Patrick's day party next weekend. A dry irish stout has been racked to the keg, and an irish red ale is finishing up in the fermenter.

A homebrewing convenience and money saving tip for some of the brewing newbies.... I brewed the red on the same day that I racked the stout to the keg. When I was done brewing the red I simply racked the cooled wort right onto the yeast cake left behind in the carboy from the stout. The fermentation was roaring within hours.

Hmmm...racking this batch to secondary next monday...do I dare buy another kit right now...? Probably, yes. Though I was going to do an IPA next, so bock yeast might not be the best for that.

Oh man, honey, thats an interesting idea. I might have to try that w/ the maibock thats going right now...

3 weeks is probably about right. I tried mine at 1.5 the first time and its definetly better now that I let it condition a bit longer. Its been a while since this post, have you tried it yet?!

Hmmm...racking this batch to secondary next monday...do I dare buy another kit right now...? Probably, yes. Though I was going to do an IPA next, so bock yeast might not be the best for that.

Yeah the bock yeast would not be appropriate for an IPA, but the racking onto the yeast cake trick is good if you can plan your brewing schedule out enough in terms of styles you want to try. 1056 is a good all around ale yeast to do this with.

We need to drink more.

Had Terrapin Double Feature last night, it is a Dubbel with a 7.7% ABV. Really nice beer with some good flavor. It is darker with some fruitiness and surprising more of medium body than a heavy Dubbel. I enjoyed it and plan on taking a couple bottles to Savannah with me.

Dubbels are fermented quite dry, and historically were brewed with a good dose of caramelized sugar, which ferments very thin. A dubbel should be on the thin, alcoholic side.

Dubbels are fermented quite dry, and historically were brewed with a good dose of caramelized sugar, which ferments very thin. A dubbel should be on the thin, alcoholic side.

Hey thank! I just started trying some different stuff and thought dubbels were supposed to be heavier. since they are lighter in body maybe that's why I like them.

Hey thank! I just started trying some different stuff and thought dubbels were supposed to be heavier. since they are lighter in body maybe that's why I like them.

Dry may be it. But the esters and phenolics from the yeasts might be it too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.