Jason Pominville - Captain

Vandaman26

2011-12' Sabres Captain  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who should get the Captaincy?

• Miller
    • Vanek
    • Roy

Pommer is consistent, but that's not always good. He's consistently had long stretches without scoring.

My biggest issue with Pommer is his toughness.

I have seen him puzzy out way too many times...and he's never dropped the gloves, let alone stand up to someone.

You have to have that 'edge' to be a C, and Pommer doesn't have it.

My choice continues to be Regehr. I'd be lukewarm if it was Pommers, disappointed if it's Gaustad and horrified if it's Vanek. I'd be surpirsed but happy if it's Roy.

I guess this makes me officially lukewarm..

How many goals/points does he need this year to be considered in line with his contract?

He's the 40th highest paid forward by cap hit

40th in goals would mean 27

40th in points would mean 61

He had 22/51 last year despite the concussion.

He also has more defensive upside than many of the other forwards above him on the list.

Can play in all situations.

How many goals/points does he need this year to be considered in line with his contract?

He also has more defensive upside than many of the other forwards above him on the list.

Hmm... I'm thinking 40

Pommer is consistent, but that's not always good. He's consistently had long stretches without scoring.

I have seen him puzzy out way too many times...and he's never dropped the gloves, let alone stand up to someone.

Out of curiousity who would you're choice have been? Please don't say Vanek based on what you said about Pom. Other than the hit where he nailed Kaleta last week Vanek is not an edgy guy and he gets off kilter when he slumps. Pommer doesn't seem to let it bother him that he misses an empty net or goes three weeks without a goal when he should have 4 so he appears to be stable in that regard :rolleyes: Vanek does let it affect him badly.

I'm not thrilled with Pommer as the choice but this team is strange in that I don't think there is a true captain here outside of Reghyr and being new and having done that with that faded memory of Rivet you knew we weren't doing that again.

My choice after thinking about it was Leopold and that speaks to the problem on the team as far as a C goes.

It's done. No one will be crying about the choice. Other than Roy.

Now lets get to WINNING!

There's a nice little video of the ceremony in Finland on sabres.com (I don't know how to link to the exact video..) including a pep talk from Lindy and a few words from Pommers.

Oh yeah, and Lindy refers to Gaustad as "Gaus" (as if you're going to say his his full last name, but don't say "tad"). Never heard Goose called that before. Does it follow the correct naming convention? :unsure:

40th and tied with how many other players? 20? 30? He's tied with the lowest member of that group as well.

I think if anyone might have the ability to elevate their game because they have a "C" it might be Pommer. It also partly explains the extended tryout he's been getting as Vanek's righ wing. If the captain isn't a heart and soul guy he probably should be a top performer, right?

I agree that there were worse choices. He's not a rah, rah guy but maybe Lindy feels that they don't need a rah, rah guy.

Man, I'd love to hear Dwight and PA chime in on this. You know they are thinking about Pommer being a captain Lindy can manipulate molest.

I don't think I agree with the bolded part. I think Pommer generally contributes a solid 2-way effort. I don't think he has much more to give. He doesn't have any more offensive game than what he's shown to date, and he isn't going to start playing a hitting game.

Fixed the last sentence for you.

This post is a bit roughly phrased, but I too would've liked to have seen someone with an edge get the C. Of course, Detroit won it with Lidstrom wearing the C, and Pittsburgh won it with Crosby wearing it, so it's not absolutely necessary.

Out of those 40 forwards, how many have bad contracts that the applicable GMs wish they could tear up? I see 3 in the top 10 alone (Vinny L., Heatley and Gomez). Just because other teams have made mistakes in giving out big contracts doesn't mean Pommer is appropriately paid.

Pommer is a nice 2-way player, but he's not a difference-maker, which is what someone with that contract should be.

Thats actually a very telling bunch of information. Pommers defensive ability is highly underrated and I do not remember to many plays where he gets caught looking or not covering someone... hes a very solid player and if he made 4.3 we would not even be having this discussion. I think Pommers could be a good captain and he has the ability to hit 70pts. I keep saying it over and over: statistically he is a 65pt a season guy and i feel like that is very respectable. Its not all about points either, Pommers could be saying the right things in the locker room. Maybe he isnt an in your face leader but maybe he is more of a well rounded guy. Either way I don't hate the idea,nor do I love it. I am just glad that finally there is a captain (and it better not freaking rotate) I'll let pommers prove himself before I hit the emergency panic button.

Oh yeah, and Lindy refers to Gaustad as "Gaus" (as if you're going to say his his full last name, but don't say "tad"). Never heard Goose called that before. Does it follow the correct naming convention? :unsure:

well, he also calls stafford "staff" - so, perhaps.

There's a nice little video of the ceremony in Finland on sabres.com (I don't know how to link to the exact video..) including a pep talk from Lindy and a few words from Pommers.

From the lukewarm applause it seems that the boys aren't all too enthusiastic about any of the letter wearers

I like when he gives Vanek crap for having a weak handshake.

I kind of suspected it would be Pommer, and I'm glad it is. I mentioned earlier in a thread during the offseason (somewhere), that the core group of guys have grown up and this is their team. Those guys are Pominville, Roy, Vanek, Gaustad, and Miller. This is their team, and they have the leadership roles on this team. Stafford played his way into an A last year, and he gets one this year. I think this was the right decision by Lindy and he's given it to a very consistent player that works extremely hard.

As it relates to fighting and toughness, let's remember guys who have worn the C such as Gretzky, Sakic, and Yzerman never were really fighters but leaders who elevated their games in the clutch and led their teams on and off the ice. So, I think Pominville is a good pick in that regard.

Well, I'm pretty lukewarm about this choice, but here is some good data about Pommer:

The Sabres were 16-5-0 when Pominville scored a goal last season and 22-9-4 when he collected a point. When the 28-year-old right wing was out of the lineup, the Sabres were 2-5-2 in the regular season and 0-2 in the playoffs.

linkage

I don't think I agree with the bolded part. I think Pommer generally contributes a solid 2-way effort. I don't think he has much more to give. He doesn't have any more offensive game than what he's shown to date, and he isn't going to start playing a hitting game.

Fixed the last sentence for you.

This post is a bit roughly phrased, but I too would've liked to have seen someone with an edge get the C. Of course, Detroit won it with Lidstrom wearing the C, and Pittsburgh won it with Crosby wearing it, so it's not absolutely necessary.

Out of those 40 forwards, how many have bad contracts that the applicable GMs wish they could tear up? I see 3 in the top 10 alone (Vinny L., Heatley and Gomez). Just because other teams have made mistakes in giving out big contracts doesn't mean Pommer is appropriately paid.

Pommer is a nice 2-way player, but he's not a difference-maker, which is what someone with that contract should be.

Oh, but he is.

I think you can quibble about salary. Not many would dispute that his contract is on the high side.

But Pominville's value can't be dismissed so easily.

Games with Pommer last season:

40-23-7

Without:

3-6-3

Playoffs with and without........well you know the story.

He does it all. He does it quietly. He plays or can play every unit

If he made 1.5 million less

the discussion would be how he is one of the best blue chip players in the league.

oh god, i if i hear 'he doesn't drop the gloves" one more time as a reason a guy can't be a captain, my brain will esplode

It's the same story over and over. No one really know what it takes to be an NHL captain. Hell, the "job" differs incredibly from team to team.

Archived