Jason Pominville - Captain

Vandaman26

2011-12' Sabres Captain  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who should get the Captaincy?

• Miller
    • Vanek
    • Roy

You mean like, say, Kesler? Or Crosby? Ovechkin? Perhaps Chara? Doan? Staal? Lidstrom? Getzlaf? Iginla? Toews? Morrow? Pronger? Weber?

You are free to believe that Pommer is the right choice, but please don't tell me I'm not paying attention to to the other captains around the NHL if I disagree with you.

Just a point of clarification, Henrik Sedin is the Captain of Vancouver, not Kesler.

So, what makes a good captain? It seems like people don't like Pominville, but I don't really get a very good articulation of what makes a good captain. So, let's go with some examples of qualities/characteristics, and I will see how I can dispel that myth:

1. Toughness/Fighter/Defends teammates: Joe Sakic, Steve Yzerman, Chris Drury, Daniel Briere, Stu Barnes, Wayne Gretzky, Nik Lidstrom, Toews, and so many others in the history of the NHL were not really fighters or "physical" players in the traditional sense. By the way, did everyone forget Pommer's fight with Matt Cooke last year?

2. Leading Scorer on the Team: Chris Drury, Steve Yzerman (he played with Federov in his prime), Joe Sakic (often Forsberg led the team in scoring), and any defenseman that has ever been captain has never led their team in scoring, so this myth is debunked.

3. Must play center: Well, that's not true at all as many defenseman and wingers have been captains (think Bill Guerin) and so many others who have played the wing and played captain. So, this isn't true either.

So, if these things are debunked, what does make a good captain? I would argue it's not any one thing. But, first, they need to have a command of the rules of hockey as it is the captain that is the player representative that speaks with the officials on ice. Second, this player must lead the team on and off the ice and must lead the team with hard work and effort and must lead by example. Third, the player should also be a vocal player that can speak up and tell the team how to improve and manage the relationship as the liaison between the coaching staff and the players. Fourth, the player should be someone who is very reliable and can play in all on ice situations which everyone would agree Pominville does today.

So, for me, I think Pominville is a good choice based on the players on this team. If not Pominville, the only legitimate choice (aside from Miller since it can't be a goalie) is Gaustad or maybe Regehr, but I hate the idea of the new guy getting the captaincy. And given that Pominville wears the C and Gaustad has an A, it seems fine to me. Others may think Roy is a good choice and he also has A although I find him a bit immature and a whiner, but he would fit the criteria of being a good choice. But, at the end of the day, all of these guys have leadership roles on this team, and I don't think Lindy could have gone wrong with any of them, and I think Pominville is a good choice based on the people on this team right now. Based on the list given above, are Roy and or Gaustad a better fit based on the captains in the NHL than Pominville? Honestly, I don't think they are necessarily better than Pominville in comparison to the other captains in the NHL, so Pommer is a good choice as he's Mr. Reliable and can play in every situation on the ice. Just my opinion.

someone help a brother out.

years back -- must've been 05-06 or thereabouts -- didn't we play a team in the playoffs, a team who had a grizzled vet, who made some crack about how he didn't even know a certain guy's name on our team? (a guy who had scored a key goal, i reckon.)

was that guy on our team pominville? and who was the opponent and opposing player?

sorry if this is addressed upthread.

someone help a brother out.

years back -- must've been 05-06 or thereabouts -- didn't we play a team in the playoffs, a team who had a grizzled vet, who made some crack about how he didn't even know a certain guy's name on our team? (a guy who had scored a key goal, i reckon.)

was that guy on our team pominville? and who was the opponent and opposing player?

sorry if this is addressed upthread.

Someone on Carolina. Doug Weight I think.

Edit: Yup.

Just a point of clarification, Henrik Sedin is the Captain of Vancouver, not Kesler.

So, what makes a good captain? It seems like people don't like Pominville, but I don't really get a very good articulation of what makes a good captain. So, let's go with some examples of qualities/characteristics, and I will see how I can dispel that myth:

1. Toughness/Fighter/Defends teammates: Chris Drury, Daniel Briere, Stu Barnes, Wayne Gretzky, Nik Lidstrom, Toews, and so many others in the history of the NHL were not really fighters or "physical" players in the traditional sense. By the way, did everyone forget Pommer's fight with Matt Cooke last year?

2. Leading Scorer on the Team: Chris Drury, Steve Yzerman (he played with Federov in his prime), Joe Sakic (often Forsberg led the team in scoring), and any defenseman that has ever been captain has never led their team in scoring, so this myth is debunked.

Your post reminded me of something I was thinking about last night. People loved Chris Drury as Captain. He seemed to have top billing at the time over Co-Captain Briere, even though Briere was much more the "face of the Sabres" and has gone on to have a much more productive career. Looking back now, as you read these boards, it feels like Drury was the Captain and Briere wore one of the A's.

Yet people are positively luke warm on Pominville as captain, yet he's by far the closest thing this team has to a Drury. If he played center they'd be very comparable. It's funny to me.

1. Toughness/Fighter/Defends teammates: Joe Sakic, Steve Yzerman, Chris Drury, Daniel Briere, Stu Barnes, Wayne Gretzky, Nik Lidstrom, Toews, and so many others in the history of the NHL were not really fighters or "physical" players in the traditional sense. By the way, did everyone forget Pommer's fight with Matt Cooke last year?

3. Must play center: Well, that's not true at all as many defenseman and wingers have been captains (think Bill Guerin) and so many others who have played the wing and played captain. So, this isn't true either.

So, if these things are debunked, what does make a good captain? I would argue it's not any one thing. But, first, they need to have a command of the rules of hockey as it is the captain that is the player representative that speaks with the officials on ice. Second, this player must lead the team on and off the ice and must lead the team with hard work and effort and must lead by example. Third, the player should also be a vocal player that can speak up and tell the team how to improve and manage the relationship as the liaison between the coaching staff and the players. Fourth, the player should be someone who is very reliable and can play in all on ice situations which everyone would agree Pominville does today.

So, for me, I think Pominville is a good choice based on the players on this team. If not Pominville, the only legitimate choice (aside from Miller since it can't be a goalie) is Gaustad or maybe Regehr, but I hate the idea of the new guy getting the captaincy. And given that Pominville wears the C and Gaustad has an A, it seems fine to me. Others may think Roy is a good choice and he also has A although I find him a bit immature and a whiner, but he would fit the criteria of being a good choice. But, at the end of the day, all of these guys have leadership roles on this team, and I don't think Lindy could have gone wrong with any of them, and I think Pominville is a good choice based on the people on this team right now. Based on the list given above, are Roy and or Gaustad a better fit based on the captains in the NHL than Pominville? Honestly, I don't think they are necessarily better than Pominville in comparison to the other captains in the NHL, so Pommer is a good choice as he's Mr. Reliable and can play in every situation on the ice. Just my opinion.

You pretty well summed up what the folks who are luke warm about Pominville have already said, Pommer doesn't fit into any of the traditional ideas of what makes a good captain but he's probably the best fit on the team. In other words, we settled.

I think you could use the phrase "we settled" regardless of which player currently on the roster was selected.

The one thing I'd like to add about Pominville is that the only things that have ever caused him to miss games were a nasty concussion from a cheap shot and having a tendon cut by a skate. He's always out there. In addition to other things that have been mentioned about him, I bet this was another big factor in Lindy's selection. He's out there every day even through any physical ailments he has to have suffered over the years.

You pretty well summed up what the folks who are luke warm about Pominville have already said, Pommer doesn't fit into any of the traditional ideas of what makes a good captain but he's probably the best fit on the team. In other words, we settled.

I think you could use the phrase "we settled" regardless of which player currently on the roster was selected.

I totally get where you are coming from, but basically, that would have involved acquiring a player from outside to be the captain. They did that once with Rivet and it wasn't great per se. But, in honesty, the 5 guys I mentioned earlier upthread - Pominville, Gaustad, Roy, Vanek, and Miller (the 2004-2005 Rochester Amerks) are the core of this team whether we like it or not. Of these guys, Pominville was a good choice as Captain. I think we all were looking for Chris Drury or Mike Peca type guy to come back to Buffalo and be that Captain we have been looking for, but that guy does not play for the Sabres now and the ship has sailed because of the previous ownership groups. Given that, without going outside the organization, Pominville's the guy best suited, and I don't have a problem with it. Just look how the team plays when he's in the lineup and when he's not. He means a lot to this team and that's Captain material in my mind.

Archived