Jason Pominville - Captain

Vandaman26

2011-12' Sabres Captain  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who should get the Captaincy?

• Miller
    • Vanek
    • Roy

Now that Regier has stacked our D-corps and added skill in Leino we now face the issue that has virtually been vacant since Briere and Drury left, the captaincy. Miller is the heart and soul of this team, but is he ready to play the dual role of captain and goalie? When Roy got hurt, Vanek elevated his overall game and led Buffalo's offence by year's end and the Goose always gives it is all whether thats fighting visiting goons or earning the Carubba collision of the game (when Kaleta int playing). I would give the "C" to Vanek and see how he handles the extra pressure.

Thanks for the research, btw Gerbe is just plain awesome and he'll be the next Briere.

Vastly different players. I won't sell him short, hehe, but I see him more of a pest with 25 goal capability. I haven't seen much playmaking that Briere had.

I don't think there's much of a choice. Giving the C to a newbie really shouldn't happen (I know...Rivet), but it should be a guy who is a veteran of the team and the other players look up to.

Vanek is the man.

True, he does deserve at least a go with the C. I suspect that's what'll happen as well.

Pominville and Vanek are co-captains. A's to Goose, Roy, and Regehr or A's to Goose, Roy, and Hecht. That's what I suspect. That's not an option to vote on, hence I didn't vote.

Pom imho has not earnt captaincy. Lackluster season last year. A's for Goose, Regehr and Roy agreed though.

Miller can't be the captain. Goalies cannot be captains on an NHL team.

Roberto Luongo was the captain of the vancouver canucks 2008-2010, so he technically COULD be captain, although thats the only case in the last 60 years according to wikipedia

Roberto Luongo was the captain of the vancouver canucks 2008-2010, so he technically COULD be captain, although thats the only case in the last 60 years according to wikipedia

Why make Miller captain when his already the de facto leader?

Please see NHL Rule 6.1 before any more discussion on Miller as a captain or an alternate captain. It's not allowed. I'm not sure what the rules were when Luongo was captain or whether he was grandfathered in after a change in the rule, but it simply isn't allowed.

Pom imho has not earnt captaincy. Lackluster season last year. A's for Goose, Regehr and Roy agreed though.

Pominville didn't have his best season last year but I'm still impressed that he played over 70 games after suffering a really nasty concussion just three (?) games into the season against Chicago.

He rushed back and probably wasn't playing at nearly 100% for much of the season. A hockey player is going to be a lot less effective if his reaction times are just a little bit slower after a head injury.

Pominville didn't have his best season last year but I'm still impressed that he played over 70 games after suffering a really nasty concussion just three (?) games into the season against Chicago.

He rushed back and probably wasn't playing at nearly 100% for much of the season. A hockey player is going to be a lot less effective if his reaction times are just a little bit slower after a head injury.

Fair play, good point. Still dont think his captaincy material but very valid point, maybe if he has a better season this year I'll rethink.

There could easily be a sleeper in this contest. As fans, we can't always base leadership on how well a player performs. Anyone that has played a team sport in their life knows that team leaders are not always blessed with talent, but they are gifted motivators. We don't know anything that goes on in the sabres lockerroom. It could end up being a guy like Pominville for his consistant play or Gaustad because of his toughness and experience. While I'd like it to be Vanek, don't be surprised if someone unexpected slips in.

I like Vanek too, I mean when Roy went down with his injury Vanek elevated his overall game and increased his point total by 20 points from 53 in 09/10' to 73 this past season. During the playoff series vs. Philly he scored 5 goals and played a role in Buffalo rallying from 2-1 down in the series to have a chance at clinching the series while at home. I can see Roy and Gaustad as assistants but in my mind Vanek is ready to become captain.

There could easily be a sleeper in this contest. As fans, we can't always base leadership on how well a player performs. Anyone that has played a team sport in their life knows that team leaders are not always blessed with talent, but they are gifted motivators. We don't know anything that goes on in the sabres lockerroom. It could end up being a guy like Pominville for his consistant play or Gaustad because of his toughness and experience. While I'd like it to be Vanek, don't be surprised if someone unexpected slips in.

Great point. One thing I will say is that this team has been built around 5 guys who have grown up together, played in Rochester together, and they all joined the Buffalo Sabres together during the 2005-2006 season, and they have been playing together ever since. The leaders on this team have and will be Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville, Paul Gaustad, Thomas Vanek, and Derek Roy. They are what many people like to call the Core, Brat Pack, what have you, but the reality is that this team is built around these 5 guys and they need to step up and become the leaders on this team.

They've tried bringing outside leadership with Craig Rivet, but that was not effective. They've done the rotating captaincy, and that didn't work. These 5 guys are in the primes of their careers and they need to take on the leadership role for this team perhaps with some support from veterans like Hecht and Regehr, but these 5 guys need to own the lockerroom and be the leaders on this team because this is their team, whether we as fans like it or not. Hence, I could very easily see one or two of these 4 guys (Miller excluded since he is a goalie) being captain and the others wearing the A's. That's how it should be.

I'd put the C's on Pominville and Goose with A's on Vanek and Roy and be done with it. Regehr and Hecht don't need letters to provide veteran leadership. Besides, Lindy's never been shy about having a bunch of people wearing A's on the team anyway, so you could give an A to one or both of them. But, this team is build around these 5 guys and they need to own the lockerroom and own the team (whether we as fans like it or not).

Archived