Jason Pominville - Captain

Vandaman26

2011-12' Sabres Captain  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who should get the Captaincy?

• Miller
    • Vanek
    • Roy

What happens when (if?) Hecht come back? Hecht is a more talented Gaustad. I think Gaustad has a limited shelf life of +\- 3 years. If they are looking for a bridge to Myers, he fits the bill, but does even a third line player have the clout to hold the top six guys accountable? Or are they thinking in their minds "STFU! What do you know about scoring goals - you've got 3 goals on the year!". Players of gaustad's ilk are important to a team with championship aspirations, but they are supposed to be role players, not captains.

Hecht has a bit more offensive game than Gaustad, but Gaustad plays a much more physical and intense game than Hecht.

Now, as to whether Roy and Vanek will think "STFU" to themselves when Gaustad speaks up in the locker room -- I can completely see them doing so. Of course, that is more a statement on their immaturity than on Gaustad's fitness to be captain. It also doesn't mean that I want either of them (or Pommer) to be captain. Frankly, I half-expect that by the end of this year Stafford will be a clearly better choice for Captain than any of those 3.

If you are saying that the captain needs to be one of the top 6, I can't agree. If you are saying that it can't be a forward who isn't in the top 6, I can go along with that, but I think that leaves Myers as the guy, and I think he's not ready.

I know - and I still think its crazy talk. :nana:

You said this:

I said this:

As I indicated, it appears Hecht won't make it to the season opener - he is the second most fragile player on the team now that TC is gone, has missed the past two post season entirely, and is overpaid in his contract year with several young guys making a push from below. He's a goner - you don't make him a captain.

And don't call me Mr. Korab - that's my father. Most people call me Richard. ;)

Thank you, Richard.

Richard seems very formal and stuffy, which does not really fit with your personality.

I'd like to use a "pet-name" for you if I may ... how does Trickie Dickie sound ... :thumbsup: , or :thumbdown: .

Just kidding, of course ... Richard.

IDK who will be captain but I can't help but wonder how Regehr will react when/if Miller pops off and throws his teammates under the bus or should decide to call them "fragile little children" again.

which is why miller should be captain... also I am still waiting for the mythical "miller tossing teammates under the bus" interview... Usually and I hate to reopen this but miller says WE a lot more than I or them.

Ever drive out of your way to hit a duck?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROTFLMFAO! :thumbsup: :clapping: :w00t: :ph34r:

Anyone else think Vanek mowing down Kaleta was a lobbying effort for the captaincy? He's showing he can play the tough, physical game a captain should play, and at the same time disciplining a player who was screwing around in front of the net with the puck in his skates and his head down. I think his hit on Kaleta was a message to rest of the team about what will happen when they screw off in a scoring area of the ice.

Next up - dropping the gloves against Sekera the next time he has a ###### giveaway while dancing with the puck at the blue line. Hopefully it happens in tonight's game. What a natural born leader!

Anyone else think Vanek mowing down Kaleta was a lobbying effort for the captaincy? He's showing he can play the tough, physical game a captain should play, and at the same time disciplining a player who was screwing around in front of the net with the puck in his skates and his head down. I think his hit on Kaleta was a message to rest of the team about what will happen when they screw off in a scoring area of the ice.

Next up - dropping the gloves against Sekera the next time he has a ###### giveaway while dancing with the puck at the blue line. Hopefully it happens in tonight's game. What a natural born leader!

Subliminal Man sez:

I think Vanek (killer) was just moving to seal off (homicidal intentions) the crease (scene of the crime) and he tried to pull up (shiv the mo'fo)...otherwise Vanek (sociopath) doesn't fall on top of Kaleta (the corpse) after the collision.

Just an accident.

I saw that, that was his second game this preseason, did anyone else get 2?

If memory serves, which at my age is doubtful at best, no one else has. Could be a prelude of things to come?????

After last nights game I would be very surprised if Vanek is not the Captain. He really has picked up were he left off after getting the "A" last season.

Sorry, Pommer, but it looks like it's an "A" for you.

The worst case scenario is that Ruff wants to announce the Captaincy in that players home country. Remember, there is no 'C' in Ehrhoff.

There's a C in Hecht, though.

(NO, I don't think that's what's going to happen.)

My choice continues to be Gaustad. I'd be lukewarm if it's Vanek, disappointed if it's Pommer and horrified if it's Roy. I'd be surprised but happy if it's Myers.

My choice continues to be Regehr. I'd be lukewarm if it was Pommers, disappointed if it's Gaustad and horrified if it's Vanek. I'd be surpirsed but happy if it's Roy.

My choice continues to be Regehr. I'd be lukewarm if it was Pommers, disappointed if it's Gaustad and horrified if it's Vanek. I'd be surpirsed but happy if it's Roy.

I'm sorry but anyone who would be horrified if Vanek was named Captain has failed to watch Sabres hockey over the past few years.

I'm sorry but anyone who would be horrified if Vanek was named Captain has failed to watch Sabres hockey over the past few years.

Be sorry then. I've watched for years and years... Vanek isn't a captain. NO one on this roster really is worthy of the C but as a default Lindy will pin it on someone's chest. Give it to Rip Simonik

LOL

All I want Vanek worried about is scoring 50 goals... Period... I've watched plenty to come to that conclusion. He has demonstrated absolutely zero over the years to suggest he would make a good Captain. Folks on here are in love with the idea, not the reality. Show me, or tell me one single instance where he acted like a Captain or demonstrated leadership. Just one. He's a sniper, if left to be. Don't mess with his head too.

Now if he is made a Captain and it turns out to be the best thing for the team AND his game, I'll be the first to eat my hat. I think my hat is safe.

LOL

All I want Vanek worried about is scoring 50 goals... Period... I've watched plenty to come to that conclusion. He has demonstrated absolutely zero over the years to suggest he would make a good Captain. Folks on here are in love with the idea, not the reality. Show me, or tell me one single instance where he acted like a Captain or demonstrated leadership. Just one. He's a sniper, if left to be. Don't mess with his head too.

Now if he is made a Captain and it turns out to be the best thing for the team AND his game, I'll be the first to eat my hat. I think my hat is safe.

A one dimensional sniper on this team in the current nhl? Wow. is not going to happen. His an important player on our team and has proved to be a leader. His nota 50 goal score, 40 i can see.imho

Archived