Jason Pominville - Captain

Vandaman26

2011-12' Sabres Captain  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who should get the Captaincy?

• Miller
    • Vanek
    • Roy

A one dimensional sniper on this team in the current nhl? Wow. is not going to happen. His an important player on our team and has proved to be a leader. His nota 50 goal score, 40 i can see.imho

So for conversation sake here, when did he "prove to be a leader"? I can recall him getting hot down the stretch a couple of years ago. But I differentiate that from being a leader. Gerbe got hot last spring, is he a leader?

I hope being a sniper doesn't imply one dimensional. I sure didn't mean it that way. I want to see him taking more shots rather than parking in front of the goal playing for the tip/redirect.

LOL

All I want Vanek worried about is scoring 50 goals... Period... I've watched plenty to come to that conclusion. He has demonstrated absolutely zero over the years to suggest he would make a good Captain. Folks on here are in love with the idea, not the reality. Show me, or tell me one single instance where he acted like a Captain or demonstrated leadership. Just one. He's a sniper, if left to be. Don't mess with his head too.

Now if he is made a Captain and it turns out to be the best thing for the team AND his game, I'll be the first to eat my hat. I think my hat is safe.

ummmm you can start with scoring plenty of big goals for the team, then you can talk about how when he was given penalty killing time, he embraced it and even got on the score-sheet. You can mention he was one of the best TWO WAY forwards on this team last season. His desperation in back-checking has become one of the best on the team.

Thomas Vanek is not just a sniper.....the guy is so underrated by many Sabres fans it's insane. Try watching him for an entire game. He takes an all out BEATING standing in front of the net. He's one of the best in the league doing that. What about the game Vanek killed time against the Bruins on the PK maybe even a 5 on 3.....he was on his knees in the corner trying to hide the puck taking about 10 crosschecks from 3 or 4 Bruin players.

Ruff has also mentioned Vanek will be vocal in the room when it's needed.

Vanek has shown he thrives when given more responsibility.

What are the qualities of a captain or leader that TV doesn't possess?

Does he have the respect of his fellow players in the locker room?

Does his team mates trust him?

Is he consistent In his approach to the game?

Does he have work ethic?

How does he carry himself off the ice?

Is he capable of being the conduit between plays and coaches?

The captain doesn't have to be the most vocal player but should be the guy that brings it every shift and can lead by example. I'm sure there are more traits that some feel are key to a good captain. I think TV has shown most of the above traits, couldn't tell you what's going on in the locker room but when I watch the guy I see a leader. One that is a little hard on himself but a leader

I'm sorry but anyone who would be horrified if Vanek was named Captain has failed to watch Sabres hockey over the past few years.

Nonsense.

LOL

All I want Vanek worried about is scoring 50 goals... Period... I've watched plenty to come to that conclusion. He has demonstrated absolutely zero over the years to suggest he would make a good Captain. Folks on here are in love with the idea, not the reality. Show me, or tell me one single instance where he acted like a Captain or demonstrated leadership. Just one. He's a sniper, if left to be. Don't mess with his head too.

Now if he is made a Captain and it turns out to be the best thing for the team AND his game, I'll be the first to eat my hat. I think my hat is safe.

+ a million. I too would love it if Vanek turned out to be a great captain, but we haven't seen anything to suggest this would be the case. He was a distant #4 in ice time among forwards in the playoffs last year. He's a charter member of the underachieving "core" group of forwards that have led this team exactly nowhere since Black Sunday. When the Sabres desperately needed a goal in the 2nd and 3rd periods of EVERY playoff game last year, he, like the rest of the "top 6," was nowhere to be found. The biggest hit he's laid out in the last 6 years was against Kaleta in practice.

I think Vanek is a good player, albeit well overpaid. As I said, if he's named captain I'll root for him and I wouldn't be shocked if he turned out to be a good one. But he hasn't earned it, at least not in a way that's visible to to me.

I see our once a week king of hyperbole has shown up and decided to troll the place on a Saturday afternoon. Must be TBD is quiet today. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I'm with wjag and nfreeman on this one. I'd love for Vanek to turn into a good captain, but he has shown nothing in the past to suggest he would be one. Captaincy is about one thing, well OK two things, communicating with the on ice officals and leading people. Anyone can do the first, Vanek included. But Vanek has never shown the ability to lead his teammates in the past, as nfreeman so well put. Generally, people don't become good leaders after they've been given the responsibility, they demonstrate it beforehand. Folks who get leadership positions without prior demonstration of the ability turn into the kind of leaders we all grouse about when we encounter them in the workplace.

Granted, it is certainly possible that Vanek could turn out to be one of the very few who learns to become a good leader after having it foisted upon him.

Good post Weave- but I would add two other elements - both are very internal - speaking to the coaches on hehalf of the team, and also being the interal mediator inside the club.

Most players who are reluctant to be Captain don't want it because of those two things. More than on ice play - a lot of crap often needs to get sorted out inside the family of a locker room that no one outside will ever hear about. Sometimes it is going to the coach and telling the coach that a player is getting handled unfairly, or unfairly favored. Often it is calling a workable truce between players who can't stand each other (it happens).

For all we know Craig Rivet might have been just the Captain the Sabres needed when they won the division.

There is so much fans don't see that I rarely have an opinion on who is named Captain. But I imagine that for Buffalo the job got a hell of a lot easier with Terry Pegula - I can't imagine the players are going to haVe much to gripe about with facilities, training, meals or accomodations or treatment of wives (which is a big one)

Good post Weave- but I would add two other elements - both are very internal - speaking to the coaches on hehalf of the team, and also being the interal mediator inside the club.

Most players who are reluctant to be Captain don't want it because of those two things. More than on ice play - a lot of crap often needs to get sorted out inside the family of a locker room that no one outside will ever hear about. Sometimes it is going to the coach and telling the coach that a player is getting handled unfairly, or unfairly favored. Often it is calling a workable truce between players who can't stand each other (it happens).

For all we know Craig Rivet might have been just the Captain the Sabres needed when they won the division.

There is so much fans don't see that I rarely have an opinion on who is named Captain. But I imagine that for Buffalo the job got a hell of a lot easier with Terry Pegula - I can't imagine the players are going to haVe much to gripe about with facilities, training, meals or accomodations or treatment of wives (which is a big one)

I think Craig Rivet WAS very much the captain that they needed at that time. That team needed someone to show them how to be and play like vets. Rivet was that guy. I think they all know how to be vets this time around so that isn't the kind of captain they need. Then again, as much as I have my thoughts about it, I really don't know what kind of captain they need this time around. But my gut tells me it is one that knows how to elevate play and win big games on big stages.

Do we have that guy on the team?

I think Craig Rivet WAS very much the captain that they needed at that time. That team needed someone to show them how to be and play like vets. Rivet was that guy. I think they all know how to be vets this time around so that isn't the kind of captain they need. Then again, as much as I have my thoughts about it, I really don't know what kind of captain they need this time around. But my gut tells me it is one that knows how to elevate play and win big games on big stages.

leino? I mean, i find it unlikely, but his past few years have been exactly this.

Right on with Rivet. Too many people forget how young the team was then, and Rivet had been with some great teams. And there are enough vets to step up--I don't think "they all know how to be vets," but there are enough. I am disturbed, if the quotes are truly reflective of the team, that no one has stepped up and said, "hey, this is MY effing team. Be on it? Play for it."

As I previously stated, this club does not have a clear cut leader, or one of those prototypical leader types.

Nonetheless, Vanek should be captain. He has the tenure, he has the ability to be a game changer, and he works hard.

He sacrifices himself in front of the net often, and he has developed into a two way player that hustles back into the defensive zone.

If I'm not mistaken, his OT winner was the goal of the year per NHL Network last year. Moments like that one prove his ability to throw the team, and game, on his back and finish it.

He could possibly develop further into a great captain once given the C. Either way, his development over the years in regards to his game and overall skills and maturity is undeniable. He sacrifices and works hard for our team.

As I previously stated, this club does not have a clear cut leader, or one of those prototypical leader types.

Nonetheless, Vanek should be captain. He has the tenure, he has the ability to be a game changer, and he works hard.

He sacrifices himself in front of the net often, and he has developed into a two way player that hustles back into the defensive zone.

If I'm not mistaken, his OT winner was the goal of the year per NHL Network last year. Moments like that one prove his ability to throw the team, and game, on his back and finish it.

He could possibly develop further into a great captain once given the C. Either way, his development over the years in regards to his game and overall skills and maturity is undeniable. He sacrifices and works hard for our team.

You are right on with this analysis.

As I posted earlier his play last year, after he got the "A", really picked up in my opinion. This has continued into this pre-season.

He is our best player (I think Myers comes close, but is still a little green), has earned and deserves the "C".

If I am not mistaken he has 3 years left on his mega-contract and who knows where his salary will be at that time (10 million $ / year ?????). At that point Myers will be veteran force and possibly / likely (?????) a Norris candidate / winner (?????) ... and our Captain.

By Friday at 1:30, anyway.

I have given this subject some more thought ... Oh, no says Korab.

I think the Sabres will have a presser tomorrow at noon at which time they will proclaim that they have signed Mike Grier and name him captain.

====

For one day and at the same presser one of the classiest players to ever wear the Sabres uniform will announce his retirement as a player to become the Sabres Director of Goodwill.

Archived