Jason Pominville - Captain

Vandaman26

2011-12' Sabres Captain  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who should get the Captaincy?

• Miller
    • Vanek
    • Roy

Obviously judging by the number of pages in this thread, and the amount of discussion this subject generated in other threads, there are plenty of folks with opinions about who should be captain. But there is also alot of people who don't see a captain on this team. That noone has stepped up and grabbed the captaincy by sheer will of personality tells me that there still isn't a bonafide captain among our "core", even though they are finally showing evidence of maturity.

It also lends credence to those who still feel that the core of this team is without the sort of players that can be expected rise to the occassion in May. Like Korab, I think we still need a stud among our top 6. An Iginla/Guerin type who can raise the level of play and demand respect. And be the leader.

I don't know about that second paragraph. Great performers aren't always great captains. Perreault wasn't a captain until very late in his career, for example; I don't think he was a real strong personality. (Meanwhile, youngsters like Schony and Gare were named captains while Perreault was not.) I also don't think the captain has to be a forward. Toward the beginning of summer, we had this discussion about who the best-ever captains were, and Schony got quite a lot of attention.

I don't know about that second paragraph. Great performers aren't always great captains. Perreault wasn't a captain until very late in his career, for example; I don't think he was a real strong personality. (Meanwhile, youngsters like Schony and Gare were named captains while Perreault was not.) I also don't think the captain has to be a forward. Toward the beginning of summer, we had this discussion about who the best-ever captains were, and Schony got quite a lot of attention.

You misinterpreted that 2nd paragraph. When I said "An Iginla/Guerin type who can raise the level of play and demand respect" I didn't mean a Perreault type. I meant a Shony/Gare tpye. This team doesn't need a Patrick Sharp nearly as much as it needs a Jerome Iginla.

And I agree that the captain doesn't need to be a forward. It needs to be someone who can set the tone and lead the troops. Doesn't really matter which skating position he occupies.

Thank you and thank you ... a nicer welcome reply than from Korab ... but I still love him / her (?????) anyway!!

Fortunately, his fist to the snout blocks the slug ... it's my small way to keep the much maligned and under appreciated slug around!!:thumbdown: or :thumbsup:

Sorry - was posting from the phone so was being concise. Not inaccurate, just concise.

"We've got a bunch of leaders in the dressing room," Roy said. "Nobody's vying for it. Nobody's really trying to get it. Whoever he picks, everyone is going to go with that decision."

for all the people getting worked up about this quote, I think you are misinterpreting what he is saying. He is saying that no one is lobbying to be captain - which I think is a good thing. People that lobby for a position of power are often the ones who shouldn't be trusted with it. This locker room has grown up to the point where there are multiple candidates for the captaincy, which is a good thing. There is a locker room full of maturing players with mutual respect for each other, such that they are letting the coach pick rather than lobbying for the job. The bad part is that there is no clear cut captain type personality in the room - but there are very few of that type in the league.

If Miller was a position player, he would undoubtedly be the captain, because he does have that personality.

for all the people getting worked up about this quote, I think you are misinterpreting what he is saying. He is saying that no one is lobbying to be captain - which I think is a good thing. People that lobby for a position of power are often the ones who shouldn't be trusted with it. This locker room has grown up to the point where there are multiple candidates for the captaincy, which is a good thing. There is a locker room full of maturing players with mutual respect for each other, such that they are letting the coach pick rather than lobbying for the job. The bad part is that there is no clear cut captain type personality in the room - but there are very few of that type in the league.

If Miller was a position player, he would undoubtedly be the captain, because he does have that personality.

That's exactly how I read it as well. I'm not a fan of rotating, but maybe it'll work best with this group who have been playing together for so long without an obvious candidate among them.

I don't know, the comment from Roy makes me feel like no one wants the responsibility on this team... I want SOMEONE (Vanek) on this team to walk into Lindy's new cushy office and demand the "C" then walk into the "Oval" office... recite the "In Pegula We Trust" allegiance then say to all the players/coaches "It's my Team, and I want to win now, who's coming with me"....

Ok back to reality now...

If Lindy's going to pick, I want Regehr. Vanek hasn't stepped up to grab it, at least according to Roy, and unlike Vanek and some other guys, Regehr will be at the right point to step aside when it is Myers's time.

EDIT: But what I see is a situation where they have rotating captains at least through December. I don't like rotating captains at all, but if there's not a strong enough personality to take the job at this point, well, it beats naming one and then stripping the letter from him when he can't do the job.

The Buffalo News is reporting that Lindy said he will name the captain in Europe. Finally, the suspense will be ended.

While I still maintain my feeling that it will be a "co-captain" and "co-alternate captains" this year ... see my first post way back when ... you (Eleven) may be on to something here with your feelings on Regehr.

Or Regehr.

I see Pommers as a cap casualty at some point, and 4th liners shouldn't be captains.

I think he's one of the guys that will greatly benefit from more shots from the defense. When teams have

to respect the shot from the D...Pominville will have a lot of shooting lanes...and ultimately rebounds.

I think he'll be over 25 goals this year.

Or Regehr.

I see Pommers as a cap casualty at some point, and 4th liners shouldn't be captains.

I'm not expecting Regehr to get the C and I would be disappointed if none of the homegrown guys was enough of a leader to get it. As for Gaustad, I think your characterization of him is inaccurate. It looks like Gaustad-Gerbe-Kaleta will be the 3rd line, and I would expect Gaustad to be in the top 7 or 8 forwards in ice time.

My choice continues to be Gaustad. I'd be lukewarm if it's Vanek, disappointed if it's Pommer and horrified if it's Roy. I'd be surprised but happy if it's Myers.

I'm not expecting Regehr to get the C and I would be disappointed if none of the homegrown guys was enough of a leader to get it. As for Gaustad, I think your characterization of him is inaccurate. It looks like Gaustad-Gerbe-Kaleta will be the 3rd line, and I would expect Gaustad to be in the top 7 or 8 forwards in ice time.

My choice continues to be Gaustad. I'd be lukewarm if it's Vanek, disappointed if it's Pommer and horrified if it's Roy. I'd be surprised but happy if it's Myers.

FWIW, I don't have a choice....I'm pretty indifferent to the letters. I'm usually happy for whoever has them.

What happens when (if?) Hecht come back? Hecht is a more talented Gaustad. I think Gaustad has a limited shelf life of +\- 3 years. If they are looking for a bridge to Myers, he fits the bill, but does even a third line player have the clout to hold the top six guys accountable? Or are they thinking in their minds "STFU! What do you know about scoring goals - you've got 3 goals on the year!". Players of gaustad's ilk are important to a team with championship aspirations, but they are supposed to be role players, not captains.

What happens when (if?) Hecht come back? Hecht is a more talented Gaustad. I think Gaustad has a limited shelf life of +\- 3 years. If they are looking for a bridge to Myers, he fits the bill, but does even a third line player have the clout to hold the top six guys accountable? Or are they thinking in their minds "STFU! What do you know about scoring goals - you've got 3 goals on the year!". Players of gaustad's ilk are important to a team with championship aspirations, but they are supposed to be role players, not captains.

Mr. Korab,

I'll direct you back to my first ever post ... it's in this thread a few pages ago.

Mr. Korab,

I'll direct you back to my first ever post ... it's in this thread a few pages ago.

I know - and I still think its crazy talk. :nana:

You said this:

I think there will be a "co-captain" situation for this season ... Gaustad (home games) and Hecht (away games). Myers will move into this rotation in case of injury to either of the "co-captains".

Also, a set of four rotating "A" ... Vanek and Myers (home games) and Roy and Pominville (away games). With Regehr being the replacement for any of these.

-----

Next season I believe Gaustad will be re-signed / extended, but not Hecht. Therefore, Myers will take the place of Hecht and will be a "co-captain" with Gaustad. Regehr, who also will be extended next summer, will take Myers place in the "A" rotation.

I said this:

Welcome to the site! I think this is crazy talk. Hecht may not make it through the season on the roster, he may not make it to the first game if he is having a recurrence of concussion symptoms. . I don't think they will be putting a c on his chest. I also don't think you make a 4th liner your captain, which means goose is out. I could see a rotation, but it's Pominville, Roy and Vanek in the rotation.

As I indicated, it appears Hecht won't make it to the season opener - he is the second most fragile player on the team now that TC is gone, has missed the past two post season entirely, and is overpaid in his contract year with several young guys making a push from below. He's a goner - you don't make him a captain.

And don't call me Mr. Korab - that's my father. Most people call me Richard. ;)

can't it be Gerbe?

Only if he's the second line center...

I'd make Hecht the captain for the game in Berlin. Then, of the five veteran top 6 forwards, I'd put it on the guy with the most presence in the room. I'm not in the room, so I can't name who that is. If I were lindy, I'd go to Miller, Jochen, Goose, Leopold, and Regehr, hand them a list of Pommer, Vanek, Leino, Stafford, Roy, (ennis is disqualified, too young), and say, "Boys, you are the senior statesmen on this team, I want to know who the most respected leader of these five names is."

Archived