Jason Pominville - Captain

Vandaman26

2011-12' Sabres Captain  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who should get the Captaincy?

• Miller
    • Vanek
    • Roy

I have given this subject some more thought ... Oh, no says Korab.

I think the Sabres will have a presser tomorrow at noon at which time they will proclaim that they have signed Mike Grier and name him captain.

====

For one day and at the same presser one of the classiest players to ever wear the Sabres uniform will announce his retirement as a player to become the Sabres Director of Goodwill.

There's one major problem with that idea. Mike Grier is 36, so if he were to sign a contract, he would count against the cap this season even if he retired.

There's no such thing in the NHL.

I was about to agree with you before I remembered an instance a couple years ago, when Washington had a goalie out with the flu or something and they signed some production intern (just happened to be on hand) to be backup for the day. Couldn't find the link quickly.

I was about to agree with you before I remembered an instance a couple years ago, when Washington had a goalie out with the flu or something and they signed some production intern (just happened to be on hand) to be backup for the day. Couldn't find the link quickly.

I think it was Toronto, or at least something similar happened there. Guy was a cameraman (I think) that played goal in college. (or I'm misremembering)

It was an amateur tryout contract. A bit of a different situation.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=397713

Didn't modano just sign with the stars to retire? It's a ceremonial thing. I doubt the NHL is going to try to treat it like a real contract.

I believe you are right on this.

This kind of thing happens all the time. I can't believe the NHL will treat it as a real contract and cap issue.

CapGeek does not list Modano as a player with the Stars.

Roy is not a Captain, He is a great player but he would rather booze then go watch film with the team and take care of the younger players. Nothing against that, but they need a leader who is commited to the team day and night. Needs to set an example. You don't want your captain out everynight boozing it up and getting drunk every weekend.

Roy is not a Captain, He is a great player but he would rather booze then go watch film with the team and take care of the younger players. Nothing against that, but they need a leader who is commited to the team day and night. Needs to set an example. You don't want your captain out everynight boozing it up and getting drunk every weekend.

I think you need a drink.

I believe you are right on this.

This kind of thing happens all the time. I can't believe the NHL will treat it as a real contract and cap issue.

CapGeek does not list Modano as a player with the Stars.

They're not real contracts, Korab nailed it with that point. I think I got a different feel from you Grier suggestion/prediction.

I think that's a little bit exaggerated. And I'm being conserative with that statement.

He's far from being "a great player."

Archived