Vandaman26

2011-12' Sabres Captain  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who should get the Captaincy?

• Miller
    • Vanek
    • Roy

Oh, but he is.

I think you can quibble about salary. Not many would dispute that his contract is on the high side.

But Pominville's value can't be dismissed so easily.

Games with Pommer last season:

40-23-7

Without:

3-6-3

Playoffs with and without........well you know the story.

He does it all. He does it quietly. He plays or can play every unit

If he made 1.5 million less

the discussion would be how he is one of the best blue chip players in the league.

The above sums up my position on this.

This guy is a complete player, a competitor and a guy who can be depended on all situations. He is accountable, responsible and a class act.

It boggles the mind how unappreciated he is simply because he doesn't run guys through walls.

I sometimes wonder if we are watching the same player, or how much attention you pay to other captains.

No he doesnt have the game breaking skill but in a lot of ways Poms is not much different than Steve Yzerman.

He is not a perfect choice because he is not an elite player.

But he is a good choice, probably the best choice.

And he will prove it this year.

This sums up my position on this.

This guy is a complete player, a competitor and a guy who can be depended on all situations. He is accountable, responsible and a class act.

It boggles the mind how unappreciated he is simply because he doesn't run guys through walls.

I sometimes wonder if we are watching the same player, or how much attention you pay to other captains.

No he doesnt have the game breaking skill but in a lot of ways Poms is not much different than Steve Yzerman.

I agree with just about everything there. Pommer grew up quick, and is, as you say, a complete player. He is an excellent choice, and I'd like to think that the guys in the room would have voted for him, given the chance.

I'm still of the opinion that *generally* one becomes a good captain only if one has shown the traits that make a good captain beforehand. Who knows, maybe Pommer has some of those traits behind lockerroom doors.

I hope he's the guy they need.

Bow chicka bow wow. (sorry)

I was really pulling for Myers to get the C. I know he's young, and maybe it's for the better that they're waiting, but his on-ice demeanor screams "captain" at me much more than Vanek's or Pommer's. I think it was freeman who said something (exactly) like this, but maybe when Pommer's contract is done, Myers'll be ready for that C.

Hockey is so much better in 2011 with instant communications. We see things now we have never have before. This video is proof. So my next comments are based on a sample size of exactly 1.

I found the Lindy speech, the team reaction and the Pominville speech underwhelming. That whole "ceremony" was as close to flat line as anything I've seen. I would have thought it would be a celebration, instead it was like they were all at the library.

So for you folks out there that have witnessed or participated in these type of things, is that presentation and reaction the norm?

Hockey is so much better in 2011 with instant communications. We see things now we have never have before. This video is proof. So my next comments are based on a sample size of exactly 1.

I found the Lindy speech, the team reaction and the Pominville speech underwhelming. That whole "ceremony" was as close to flat line as anything I've seen. I would have thought it would be a celebration, instead it was like they were all at the library.

So for you folks out there that have witnessed or participated in these type of things, is that presentation and reaction the norm?

I got the feeling they were very aware of the camera in the room and more subdued because of it.

I got the feeling they were very aware of the camera in the room and more subdued because of it.

Okay.. I buy that for crowd reaction.. But Lindy sure is used to performing for the camera.. Maybe the others are a bit camera shy..

Okay.. I buy that for crowd reaction.. But Lindy sure is used to performing for the camera.. Maybe the others are a bit camera shy..

When I got married there were all these people around. I had to wait until they all went home to celebrate properly.

Maybe that's not the same thing at all.

Maybe I should shut up.

Maybe they should drop the puck already...

Do we know whether they voted on this or if Lindy assigned them?

One of the articles on the front page said that while Lindy has had team members vote on captain in the past, this time it was all his choice. He did have input from Darcy and management, including TP, but no players.

Do we know whether they voted on this or if Lindy assigned them?

I was under the impression that Lindy picked, but if someone else knows (CHZ?)

I would like to believe it's not the norm...that was very underwhelming at best.

I'm still of the opinion that *generally* one becomes a good captain only if one has shown the traits that make a good captain beforehand. Who knows, maybe Pommer has some of those traits behind lockerroom doors.

I hope he's the guy they need.

I think Pominville is a good choice. The team really seems to respond when he is wearing the "C" ... the record speaks for itself.

Yzerman's and especially Messier's (in my mind the best captain ever in any sport ... I will never forget how he guaranteed victory in game 6 of the '94 final and made it happen ... people might say Namath, but IMO he was expressing more of a hope than a guarantee) do not come around often. Most teams go with the "face of the franchise".

I would argue that the face of the Sabres is Miller. So, maybe a co-captain situation would have worked ... Miller and Pominville, with Pominville being the "on-ice" captain during games.

The above sums up my position on this.

You mean like, say, Kesler? Or Crosby? Ovechkin? Perhaps Chara? Doan? Staal? Lidstrom? Getzlaf? Iginla? Toews? Morrow? Pronger? Weber?

You are free to believe that Pommer is the right choice, but please don't tell me I'm not paying attention to to the other captains around the NHL if I disagree with you.

You mean like, say, Kesler? Or Crosby? Ovechkin? Perhaps Chara? Doan? Staal? Lidstrom? Getzlaf? Iginla? Toews? Morrow? Pronger? Weber?

You are free to believe that Pommer is the right choice, but please don't tell me I'm not paying attention to to the other captains around the NHL if I disagree with you.

thank you.

Kesler? Or Crosby? Ovechkin? Perhaps Chara? Doan? Staal? Lidstrom? Getzlaf? Iginla? Toews? Morrow? Pronger? Weber?, Pominville?

Looks out of place.. Let me try something different.

Pominville?? Kesler? Or Crosby? Ovechkin? Perhaps Chara? Doan? Staal? Lidstrom? Getzlaf? Iginla? Toews? Morrow? Pronger? Weber?

Nope still doesn't have the same gravitas as those other names...

Having said that, I'm willing to believe he can be the man. Time will tell...

Well, talk about snapping my ass with a towel...

Archived